Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ~~Attaching foam floats~~  (Read 7611 times)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
~~Attaching foam floats~~
« on: May 25, 2004, 01:32:44 PM »

Hey guys... How many times do u wrap your mainline around your foam float? I wrap it twice, but it keeps on cutting into the foam and destroys the float.....thanks take care!!! ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:~~Attaching foam floats~~
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 03:18:55 PM »

The Doctor knows what he speaks !

Max: The reason why alot of fishermen do not like the slip through floats is that no matter what stop knot you use it does not go through the guides smoothly. Eventually the friction will wear away the knot.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:24:54 PM »

once again thanks for all the help ;D!!!

gumboots

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:40:37 PM »

Try using  cork floats with the  plastic centre pins . elim. the problem of cutting . or if your using the foam floats try using the fishermans  repair kit  ( DUCT TAPE ) wrapping it around just once , line it thru and around once and your set to go .Never cuts thru . Fish don't care ...

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 02:46:37 PM »

I use through floats exclusively. The main reason to use a through float is that it’s quick and easy to adjust. Simply use a toothpick at the top to stop it in place, but make sure not to jam the toothpick too tightly into the float. You should be able to slide the float up and down your line with a gentle pull. One of the advantage of using this method is when you are playing a fish in a deep pool standing on the rocks at the Cap where you are using 6 to 10 feet of line from float to swivel. You know how difficult it is to land or hoist a fish with that much float line, so what I do is to reel the float tight to the top guide, then gently reel line in until the float slides down to about a foot or two from the swivel to gain leverage on the fish. You can do that with wraps as well, but it’s much easier to do with a through float. Hope that helps.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 05:08:12 PM »

one way is to run the line through the top slot and strait down the side, using a small elastic band on the bottom of the float to hold the line in place.This also allows you to cut the float shorter or move the float up and down the line easier.