Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pretty sad...  (Read 4714 times)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Pretty sad...
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Pretty sad...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »

sickening.  >:(

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »

This video is very suspect and I have some grievance about it, especially with the bear missing its paws and probably its gal bladder regardless of what the laws are in that region.  If someone could translate all the text about this that would be swell, otherwise I am not willing to jump to conclusions about this.  It appears to be a salmon roe harvest but to  assume devastation here I think is premature. For all I know it could be a salmon enhancement project. All those rotting carcasses along side the river could likely be very beneficial to the river in terms of nutrient supply.  It just brings more questions to mind than conclusions.  The only text I understood was the green peace tag and to me that does not mean what is happening is wrong.  Its a selective fishery that is putting back to the system though it is not the natural process.  But is it far off the natural process?  How long has this been the practice in that system? Are a certain number of fish allowed to spawn?  What is the history of the run they are fishing?  Is the run in trouble from any outside source?  To many questions for me to be sad yet, with the exception of the bear :-\
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »

It's a video of the aftermath of poaching in Russia published by Greenpeace.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

I agree that is a possibility but where is the information that states this.  I do not speak russian.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

There is a youtube feature that automatically translates all text into English. The option automatically popped up for me... look near the top of the video.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »

I just can't seem to get the translation. 

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »

x2

StillAqua

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »

This video is very suspect and I have some grievance about it, especially with the bear missing its paws and probably its gal bladder regardless of what the laws are in that region.  If someone could translate all the text about this that would be swell, otherwise I am not willing to jump to conclusions about this.  It appears to be a salmon roe harvest but to  assume devastation here I think is premature. For all I know it could be a salmon enhancement project. All those rotting carcasses along side the river could likely be very beneficial to the river in terms of nutrient supply.  It just brings more questions to mind than conclusions.  The only text I understood was the green peace tag and to me that does not mean what is happening is wrong.  Its a selective fishery that is putting back to the system though it is not the natural process.  But is it far off the natural process?  How long has this been the practice in that system? Are a certain number of fish allowed to spawn?  What is the history of the run they are fishing?  Is the run in trouble from any outside source?  To many questions for me to be sad yet, with the exception of the bear :-\

Good point AP. Sakhalin Island has a lot of pink and chum hatcheries and is a major source of "ocean ranched" salmon competing with wild fish for food in the North Pacific. They require a lot of eggs.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »

If you use google chrome browser the translation automatically pops up. The video appears to be about what Rodney said it is.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bandit420

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

Salmon enhancement projects dont hire people who are armed with AK-47's and pistols dressed in camouflage.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »

If you use google chrome browser the translation automatically pops up. The video appears to be about what Rodney said it is.

Yes and yes