Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead numbers  (Read 7939 times)

kindalonismo

Re: Steelhead numbers
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »

0 for 4 trips this season.  Had one on and lost it first day of the season and not a sniff since! Back to the drawing board!

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

1 to hand, 2 trips. also one small dolly. about 12 hrs total.

JPW

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »

0 for 3 outings, about 15hrs.

Bandit420

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »

Roughly 7 hours fished 2 fish to hand

Hero of the thread! :D
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »

Hero of the thread! :D

If that's what you think, I guess that's what you think. That's what I'm at for the Chilliwack system, not really sure why I would need to pad my numbers or anything to try and impress anyone.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »

Saw one guy hooked up and one guy release a wild the same day a week ago.That's as close as I've come to a fish in about 10 trips  :(...usually get one around New Years but nada the last couple of years  ??? ..hopefully the spike in water levels brings in another push of fish.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »

Hooked 2 more briefly today, one of which I saw flash as it got off  :o, went out at 3 when it warmed up. ;D Now 0 for 4 for the season with one getting off after 4 minutes or so and the other broke off. :-[ Number 5 will be mine. ;D

blackskull

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:56 PM »

This season has been great for me so far. Last season was my steelhead cherry popping season and I managed to find and land 2. 

So far, I've matched last seasons totals already  :)

My first trip brought a nice wild to hand, then lost the fly I was using.  Second trip, didn't have the same colour fly that had produced the first trip and got skunked.  Third trip, tied the first trip's fly the morning of and hooked into one and brought it to my feet pretty quickly, and it just sat there calmly looking at me.  So, I bent down to try and tail it, it bolts and snaps my tippet and takes the fly with it.

Just finished tying up a couple more of that fly.  Let's see if it's perfect record holds tomorrow.

coho killer

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »

Landed 4, lost 7 now :S

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »

Hooked 2 more briefly today, one of which I saw flash as it got off  :o, went out at 3 when it warmed up. ;D Now 0 for 4 for the season with one getting off after 4 minutes or so and the other broke off. :-[ Number 5 will be mine. ;D
# 5 was mine, yesterday, now how many casts until the next one? Many most likely. ::)

Steelie1030

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

One for one, but pure luck. I watched two guys fishing the run that I was working towards and when they moved down, I took over the top of the run. I had been fishing the same set-up for about an hour and I made my first cast to the far side and wouldn't you know it but my rig caught in an overhanging branch broke off and I had to completely re-tie. I proceeded to cast to the spot where I had intended the first cast to land. Almost immediately the float dipped and I set the hook into a nice chrome fish that went airborne. Wow!! A new tie-up, I've got nothing to worry about, right. I took two steps and slipped on an ice-covered rock and went down hard on my butt. The fish was still there, a few minutes later a nice wild doe came to hand of about 10-12 lbs. I unhooked her and she darted away into the current. This was my second trip to the Vedder this year and no matter how cold and slippery it was...it was totally worth it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

One for one, but pure luck. I watched two guys fishing the run that I was working towards and when they moved down, I took over the top of the run. I had been fishing the same set-up for about an hour and I made my first cast to the far side and wouldn't you know it but my rig caught in an overhanging branch broke off and I had to completely re-tie. I proceeded to cast to the spot where I had intended the first cast to land. Almost immediately the float dipped and I set the hook into a nice chrome fish that went airborne. Wow!! A new tie-up, I've got nothing to worry about, right. I took two steps and slipped on an ice-covered rock and went down hard on my butt. The fish was still there, a few minutes later a nice wild doe came to hand of about 10-12 lbs. I unhooked her and she darted away into the current. This was my second trip to the Vedder this year and no matter how cold and slippery it was...it was totally worth it.

If this was your second trip this year, wouldn't that make it one for two?  And it wasn't luck...it was skill. ;D
Not all those who wander are lost

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »

0 for 0. Although Im fishing minnows and eggs on a 2 weight... So a steelie may bite, but Id be a little scared if one actually did.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »

0 for 0. Although Im fishing minnows and eggs on a 2 weight... So a steelie may bite, but Id be a little scared if one actually did.

Targeting whitefish?  How you making out.
Not all those who wander are lost

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »

Fishing that gear, now, should be be producing RMW and residualized steelhead and or residents ... yes?

Edit to read Sandman..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:58:57 PM by Dave »