Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night sky  (Read 4119 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Night sky
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

Tried to do a long exposure shot late last night to get the trailing stars effect. Hopefully it stays clear tonight so I can have another go. :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Night sky
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »

Very cool!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »

Cool pic.

Enough that I finally installed CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit ) on my powershot to try similar stuff as well as time lapse.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:23 AM »

ALIENS!!!   ;D

Great photo, Rod.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »

Rod's photos rekindled my interest in astronomy and now after 30 years I am taking up the hobby again.  Things have changed alot since then, especially in the area of astrophotography.  Back then, even with a high powered telescope, the learning curve for getting good pics of celestial objects were quite high.  There was no such thing as digital cameras.  You took a picture and did not know whether it would turn out or not.  Since many of the objects required long exposures, star tracking etc.. I wasted many nights taking photos that amounted to nothing.  The only decent pics I got were of the moon and a couple of bright planets.

Fast forward to the digital age and now things are much easier.  Heck, you don't even need a telescope to photograph some of the larger dim objects in the sky.  DSLRs give you instant feedback.  Digital images can be processed with software to get you the results you need.  As an example, the youtube video below describes a technique called stacking whereby multiple short exposures are taken of the same object and the pics are stacked with software.

The person in the video used a 280mm telephoto lens.  The exposures were kept short (1.6 seconds) but he took a lot of them.  Take a look at the results he got of the Andromeda galaxy.  Incredible if you ask me.  Basically just his DSLR and a tripod.  No need to track the object because the exposures were short.  Just fast forward to the end if you want to see his results without watching the rest of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0JSTF8SGi4

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »

It would have  been nice if he shared his ISO/shutter/F-stop settings too :(  400 x 1.6 seconds is quite a while out in the cold :)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »

I believe he was using an f stop of 4.0 with ISO6400. 

He said in the comments below that it took just a bit over an hour to get all his shots in.

I'm getting my C8 telescope cleaned right now and when I get it back I will be pointing it at the orion nebula.  Definately won't need 400 shots.  Since I am shooting it using my telescope as a lens, I'll only need about 20 one second exposures.  I'll be using my Nikon D5100 with an adapter to connect onto my Telescope.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:43 PM »

That's too advance for me for now... ;D

These night sky photos are definitely very fun to take. I like to hop into the backyard when it's cold and quiet in the dark, set the camera up, press shutter, come back inside for a hot drink, then go back out to get the result later. :)

I like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ub72GnEVQ