Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing your float....  (Read 6197 times)

mvelasco

Re: Losing your float....
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 06:37:44 PM »

I have a feeling that this thread was created cause someone fishing down river from me saw my two floats go by.....with little time in between

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »

Normally mainline will break at the swivel knot, but if it is weakened it may break above the float resulting in a lost float.
I replace my mainline at the beginning of every season and chances of this happening does go down quite a bit.

DRP79

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »

When i first started fishing last year, i lost a few setups due to poor knots. My knots are much better and i do change my line every season (salmon and steelhead). I also bought some rubber stops for just above the swivel so that the pencil lead doesnt keep slamming into the knot. I also run my fingers along the line to check for knicks etc at the beginning of every outting.

Since doing the above, the only time i have lost a float was last steelhead season. I hooked into a very large steelhead in a very tight spot and he dragged me into a log jam and snapped the main line.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »

Maybe it's because I use a rubber stopper on the top and bottom of my float. My mainline would have to break above the float in order for me to lose it... I figured that's how ur suppose to set up ur float.

Yes of course.

Mainline always breaks because its bruised but how you bruise it is the question.
Also keep in mind that line weakens over time and you replace your leaders several times a day.
So sometimes if you leader is 2lb lighter it might still be stronger than the main line.

I replace my line 2-3 times a season.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »

I have a feeling that this thread was created cause someone fishing down river from me saw my two floats go by.....with little time in between

It wasn't me  ;D I haven't been on the river since October! I know its sad  :P I'm just being nosey!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »

Many lost floats result from weak areas of the mainline just above the float.This in my experience is the result of storing the rod with terminal gear attached and and strung tight.Making a stress point.The same thing happens from too tight bobber stoppers.By avoiding these two things my float retention has gone way up.Sorry Chris LOL.I also regularly take off the first twenty feet of mono that has been exposed to light and current.Using a reel cover helps extend my mono life as well by cutting down uv exposure.

Riverman

SHIRO-STEVE

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

From what I've seen this is almost always caused by strange setups and poor knots although often it is just bad luck, tree branches etc. 

I've always made a habit of chopping off the last 6 or so feet of my line after each river outing. This removes any risk of the knick you didn't see and U/V damage. I've also found that adding an extra couple of wraps on your upper knot vs. lower knot will give that little extra holding strength even if your are fishing with tired main line.

norton

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »

Yea , if your mainline is too old and worn , it will snap above your weight. If your float isn't secured tight enough on your mainline it will slip off, if you fish a lot , you should change your mainline at least twice during the steelhead season.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »

Would replacing your mainline once a season apply to those using braid as well?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."