Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Guided Steelhead trips on the Vedder  (Read 9935 times)

thewilliamswall

Help with Guided Steelhead trips on the Vedder
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »

Hey,

I'm looking into the idea of getting a guide. Hoping for a saturday afternoon at the end of Jan to hit the vedder and show me how to properly read water and present my bait/lures. This salmon season I landed a few Coho and Chum and was able to fight a bunch more but when I go steelheading I cant even get a bite. I consider myself a novice fisherman but I know enough to know that Im not doing it right!!!

Can somone please point me towards a good guide company so I can get some good return on the money I spend? Bentrods.ca, for example, is $299.99 for an 8 hour day. But I have no way of knowing if they are any good or whos better, are there cheaper options, etc... I do believe learning to read water and properly present my bait is a skill worth investing invest in, I just want to invest in it properly! My group of buddies doesnt have access to that old timer with the experience and knowledge ready to pass on tips and tricks so Im trying to find another way to learn- the internet can only help so much!

Any info would be appreciated! I understand its the most elusive fish and even seasoned vets dont catch that many (derby results were 334 guys = 14 hatchery steelhead)

And in case it matters; I use a baitcaster set up on a short float. I tried roe sacks, gooey bobs, pink worms, single eggs and even tossed a few colorrado blades for good measure!

thanks in advance and tight lines boys.

EZ_Rolling

Re: Help with Guided Steelhead trips on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »

Rod is a great guide been out with him several times

farky

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »

Check out  the 2012/2013 Chilliwack river steelhead fishery information & water information updates link in the general discussion forum. There is lots of info on the forum as to what to use for setups and how to read water, just use the search feature or scroll through some old posts. There are cheaper ways to learn how to fish for steelhead, the best way to learn is to put your time in out on the water. While your out there watch what others are doing, talk to people you'll be surprised at how friendly some people can be out there.
 Also if you happen to notice people catching fish, remember where,water type(clarity,speed of current, what kind of structure if any),soon you will learn where fish are likely to be holding. Also cover as much water as you can don't just stay in one spot, there are far fewer steelhead then salmon. You have to find them not let them find you. Also remember there is not any one single best bait for these fish, learn to use one or two well then experiment after gaining success on those. As for guides i have had no personal experience,so can't help you there.
  Just remember if you can catch a salmon, you can catch a steelhead.  Just be a little more observant, when out on the river to whats going on around you. Chances are you'll get more satisfaction out of figuring it out for yourself, just be patient. As for the derby and the results, it's because it is held as a kickoff to the season and the huge amount of pressure spooks the fish that are in the system. I typically run 15lb mainline, small foam float balanced by 3 large split shots, a barrel swivel, about 18" of 12lb fluorocarbon leader, and a #2 red hook. Typical baits are roe bags, shrimp, colorado blades,single eggs with a tuft of wool, etc... Anyways hope i helped a little ,tight lines and good luck out there.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »

If you live in the Vancouver area I would suggest you take a steelheading course from Pacific Angler. The first night is spent discussing terminal tackle, rods etc followed by an all day trip to the Vedder. They teach you the art of reading water etc. Cost is $225. I had a friend who took the course and he quadrupled his catch last year from the year before.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »

The best way to learn is to go out with a seasoned vet. Someone to mentor you on the water.Surfing the net,taking a course are helpful,but the only way to learn is time spent on the water.Hiring a guide on the Vedd,fishing from shore with the crowded conditions is less then ideal. Maybe someone from this site can step up and accompany you on a few outings.Good luck and good fishing!

thewilliamswall

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys.

Someone reached out to me and offered to help me out so I will definatley be taking him up on the offer!
If things dont work out I might try the Pacific Angler since I read his fishing reports every friday and now I know of someone that "quadrupled" his catch!

I truely have no problem standing in the cold water for hours and going home without a fish- as long as I had a CHANCE at catching one!

Im excited to learn from someone with first hand knowledge and experience!

thanks!

tim3500

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:57:10 AM »

I would go the guide route . I have always been able to catch fish but I spend more time than most doing it also . Years ago I wanted to learn fishing with jigs and employed Bent Rods service as I wanted to take my GF out and get her introduced into stealheading also . I put a price on my time and supplies to be lost over what I figured out that she needed to get her up to speed  Oh and all the time I lost in the training that takes away from what I like doing .  I got some very valuable info that made me very proficiante with jigs and he was a awsome and paitiant with her to guide her as a beginer in casting to be able to get her to hook fish properly was a enjoyable day to have someone do a proper teach and me to have a no stress day on the river doing my thing learning the tricks so to say money well spent he even tought her how to tie a rig that she never forgot . Get a guide and do the math Rods my bet

farky

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »

I guess it would depend on how far you live from the river. For me i find i always take for granted that i live 5 minutes from the vedder, and have fished it from top to bottom since i was a kid. Not everyone has the luxury of stopping for a few casts before/after work each day. Also it is easy to develop friendships with the regulars on the river,if you are one of them in the first place. Thanks for reminding me how lucky i am , to have had people to learn from and a beauty of a river in my hometown. ;)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »

I would go the guide route . I have always been able to catch fish but I spend more time than most doing it also . Years ago I wanted to learn fishing with jigs and employed Bent Rods service as I wanted to take my GF out and get her introduced into stealheading also . I put a price on my time and supplies to be lost over what I figured out that she needed to get her up to speed  Oh and all the time I lost in the training that takes away from what I like doing .  I got some very valuable info that made me very proficiante with jigs and he was a awsome and paitiant with her to guide her as a beginer in casting to be able to get her to hook fish properly was a enjoyable day to have someone do a proper teach and me to have a no stress day on the river doing my thing learning the tricks so to say money well spent he even tought her how to tie a rig that she never forgot . Get a guide and do the math Rods my bet
Bentrod from what i understand only fishes jigs and is very good at it from what i hear.But theres alot more to steelheading then dead drifting a jig all day long. The use of baits,artificials,spoons,spinners and jigs in your arsenal will better your chances at being sucessful on the flow.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

Bentrod from what i understand only fishes jigs and is very good at it from what i hear.But theres alot more to steelheading then dead drifting a jig all day long. The use of baits,artificials,spoons,spinners and jigs in your arsenal will better your chances at being sucessful on the flow.

He fishes more than jigs, I've seen him out there tossing spoons, his own made spinners and bait. Just because his jig business is what has made him so popular doesn't mean that's all he fishes.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »

I have fished multiple times with Rod and seen him fish through a wide arrangement of gear for steel. He likes to work each run with a few different things, this for any steelheader is a great practice because then you raise your success rate. I do this when im gear fishing unless its a small run and i feel i covered it well, I try to do this with the spey also but usually dont get the chance because of fence posters  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »

I would pay Rod from Bent Rods as he is worth every penny!!! I have known him for quite a few years now and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to our local fishing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

capman

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »

Bent Rods is the way to go IMO as well. I hired Rod for my gided Steelhead on the Vedder a few yares ago and did not bad on my own the years following that :D. I also did Salmon & Sturgent fishing with him and that was a blast too. Save yourself money and time and hire a guide.

Animal Chin

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 01:29:57 AM »

I thought exactly as you did last year. It was between the course vs the guide route. I went with the guide. IMO, do yourself a favor and go with the course. I'd say it's more geared towards what you're after. If you're just looking for a good day to hook into fish (bachelor party, gift etc), but don't really care to be an avid fisherman, I'd say go with a guide.

Dimitri and the guys at Pacific Angler set up their courses/curriculum with a very specific purpose.

I have no affiliation with the shop, I just go in there once in a while. If you think about it, it just makes more sense. Though someone offering to take you out is pretty cool as well.

Carich980

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »

Go for a local guide and a course best of both worlds. I went out with a local guide a few years ago. I learned more then from him on that day then any course or book to date. Every now and then I run into him fishing the river and he's always been helpful.

That being said I learned more from meeting other seasoned anglers on the river then from anywhere else and I think you just got to have a positive freindly attitude and invest time on the river to become consistent. I've found most guys are quite friendly and willing to help you out.