Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Letter To Director General Of OIE  (Read 20444 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Letter To Director General Of OIE
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »

........ I won't lose any sleep if you are not on my bandwagon.

Good to know....   :)

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »

I am pretty sure I am the only fish farmer in the room.  Just a friendly reminder.

It is studies like this:http://www.canada.com/Young+coho+shot+unique+program/7665495/story.html  that will start providing some overdue information on wild salmon and disease.  Hope to see more like it.  I find this very interesting.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

dnibbles

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »

The saying goes that a little knowledge is dangerous.....   would it be safe to say that a lot of knowledge is a lot more dangerous??   ;)

The problem with SS is his bias (he earns his living in the feedlot business). Many of us are quite a lot more hesitant in jumping on his band wagon and singing his praises like you are....

I have a lot more confidence in the information I receive from someone like Morton who has no financial interest in the feedlot business.

Bahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! Classic carl! You've crammed so much good stuff into only 3 lines! Too much knowledge is dangerous???? You're safe I guess  ;D

StillAqua

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »

It is studies like this:http://www.canada.com/Young+coho+shot+unique+program/7665495/story.html  that will start providing some overdue information on wild salmon and disease.  Hope to see more like it.  I find this very interesting.
Good stuff....but I find it a little disconcerting that a DFO hatchery has to go begging in the community to fund a trial that should be easily  funded by the department. The ongoing cuts are showing.........

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »

I remember when that hatchery first opened its a shame it is so underfunded and run down now 650k fish is less than 1 quarter capacity. Toured it several times a year all through grade and high school

dnibbles

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

I remember when that hatchery first opened its a shame it is so underfunded and run down now 650k fish is less than 1 quarter capacity. Toured it several times a year all through grade and high school

It was rebuilt in the past few years. Several millions of dollars invested in the facility. 650K is only the coho production, they still do many millions of Chinook, pinks etc there.

norton

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »

Thought I smelled a stinking white spring in this room.but I guess it was just a fish farmer.how can you eat those discussing fish.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »

Thought I smelled a stinking white spring in this room.but I guess it was just a fish farmer.how can you eat those discussing fish.
norton, I sure hope your'e going to tell us your'e a buddy of nibbs and this post was meant to be sarcastic? ;)

alexandramorton

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 07:26:26 AM »

Hey Guys

I see the debate continues here!  If you want to pitch, you can circulate the petition to the Premier asking her not to renew anymore salmon feedlot leases http://www.change.org/petitions/premier-christy-clark-do-not-renew-salmon-farm-leases

I am curious if the farm farmers on this site know what diseases their fish have, or are they kept in the dark on this.  For example, the piscine reovirus, which attacks the fish's heart muscle is coming up positive in most of the samples from the farm fish from supermarkets.  Sportfishermen in Norway don't think a salmon can make it up a river with this virus.  When you consider that up to 90% of Fraser sockeye are going missing in some years after they pass Mission, this should have been revealed to the Cohen Commission. Take a look at Hells Gate and think about a salmon swimming against that with a virus destroy his heart muscle.  After the first results for this virus were released, the BC provincial farm fish vet, Dr. Gary Marty went on CTV admitting that 75% of the farm salmon he tested in 2010 were positive for this virus.  The scientists who discovered this say it spreads like "wildfire."  Guys on the salmon feedlots have told me the fish are dying of heart failure as they are seined.  I really don't know what people are waiting for.

Along with the European - Salmon alphavirus, and ISA viruses, BC wild salmon are facing a whole new world and it is not good.  I expect a string of abuse for posting this, but some things have to be said. Feedlots belong in quarantine.  We don't let wild birds in chicken feedlots, we learned.  Feedlots breed disease because there are no predators to cull the sick and animals are packed in tighter than in the natural world. I am not sure why anyone thinks salmon feedlots full of European salmon is going to be any different.  I am going to keep presenting the facts, but some of you other guys out there are going to have to to step up.  If everyone thinks it is OK to have these viruses pouring out into the biggest wild salmon migration route in the world along eastern Vancouver Island, my guess is it will keep on until the industry can't make a buck here any longer and the last few fish farm jobs will be gone.

The incredible thing to me is that this happens again and again around the world and no one does much about it.  Perhaps it is because anyone who looks into this finds out this industry packs a nasty bite. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »

Welcome to the site Alexandra! Keep up the great work!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »

Well welcome aboard!  I think you will find a few supporters and a few non believers here at FWR but I doubt you will receive abuse.  Perhaps you could start by posting your most recent lab results, especially those involving ISAv.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »

Yes! Welcome.  I do hope you will stick around for a discussion.  As the salmon farmer here on the site I am not a supporter of Mrs. Morton but I am interested in her participation here.  
More later.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »

A warm welcome Alex, to Fishing with Rod, so glad you are here and posting too. We can not thank you enough for all you have and are doing for wild salmon by bringing the awareness factor to Canada and the world about the continuing dangers fish farms are to wild salmon stocks.

I just watched the video Jeremy did of the Paddle for Wild Salmon brought back great memories that I was glad I had the opportunity to be part of.

I post the link here for those that did not have the opportunity to be part of this historic journey down the Fraser River, the life blood of sockeye and other wild Pacific salmon that we all must do more to protect now and in the future.

http://vimeo.com/27686633

Once again welcome and we hope you have time to post more here although we know you have a busy schedule in working to protect our precious wild salmon stocks from the devastating powers of fish farms that are located along British Columbia's coastline.

alexandramorton

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Dave

As it stands right now, I would like to post results as they come in and I was doing that, but that came to an end.  While I can't talk about what went down, I can promise you the results will be published.

If anyone is fishing for steelhead this winter where you can keep the fish, please let me know.

Thanks!

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »

For example, the piscine reovirus, which attacks the fish's heart muscle is coming up positive in most of the samples from the farm fish from supermarkets.

I understand that AM will try to keep it simple here but it is important to understand the difference between having disease and having a virus.  While it has been claimed that farmed salmon are showing signs of disease from PRV it simply may not be the case.  The same goes for ISA.  For example, I could have a common flue and exhibit symptoms associated with SARS, or mad cow, or even a cold.  It does not mean that I have SARS or bird flue.  I feel that while PRV is in our environment now AM has chosen to mislead the public by confusing the virus with the disease buy stating fish are showing signs of disease when in fact these symptoms of disease are common with other health issues.  It seams to be that AM is blaming the salmon farms for the presence of PRV and ISA, that simply is not a proven fact.  There are other possibility's.  At this stage it really does not matter but I think the source should be looked into.

Sportfishermen in Norway don't think a salmon can make it up a river with this virus.

Biologically speaking comparing atlantics to pacific s is not very reliable.  If atlantics had ISA here as it has been suggested likely for 25 or more years, why has there not been a large atlatic die off in bc since they started farming them here?

Guys on the salmon feedlots have told me the fish are dying of heart failure as they are seined.

Sound like an interesting harvest crew.  I wish that in my harvest days I had a chance to stop and cut some fish for a peek inside and take some samples for the lab.  It would  have been a nice break from working my butt off, he he.  So you are suspecting that the fish are dying from HSMI via PVR from being in a seine net based on what the harvester told you?

BC wild salmon are facing a whole new world and it is not good.

BC Salmon are facing a whole new world and have been for some time.  Not just the last 30 years.  More like the last 100 years and it is not good.  This ISA thing is known to have been around for some time already.  Is there any evidence of how long PRV has been here?

Your presentation that the salmon farms are disease infested mutation grounds fails to recognize that many MANY viruses are present in the wild with or without salmon farms.  This abides  to your  "natural order" rule.  It is natural to have an abundance of viruses in the wild.  It just is the way it is.  By your interpretation, pristine and natural would be a bottle of distilled water.

I am curious if the farm farmers on this site know what diseases their fish have, or are they kept in the dark on this.

I find it interesting how the anti's are always so keen on suggesting ownership of those who work on salmon farms.  Perhaps if I was a janitor in a lab I would have better exposure to fish health data but anyone can get it via FOIA.

I hope we agree that much more research is due to better understand the issues around bc salmon.   There are some awesome studies already underway that I anxiously await the results.

Many of your supporters always state that removing salmon farms is not the smoking gun but it is the one thing that we can actually control.  The only other thing I can think of is to stop fishing the heck out of them.  Yourself as a self appointed advocate for wild salmon would agree with this but you never mention it.  Why not?  If the salmon farms did go who or what would be you next target group to further your preferred natural order?  There are so many to chose from I am curious which group you would pick.  Would it be the alaska sea ranching, or our local user groups(natives, commies, sporties) that as individuals take little bits but together add up to alot.  I suppose you could go after the Fraser and its tributarys and resume natural order there in order to help lower the water temps there.

Thanks for your time on this.