Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prism tape for spoons and spinners  (Read 4353 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Prism tape for spoons and spinners
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »

With the spring upon us, I was thinking of dressing up some of my spoons for trout and salmon fishing with prism tapes. I remember reading somewhere that certain prism tapes provide great contrast under polarized light and thus are great fish attractors. With so many different kinds of prism tapes available today, I was hoping someone could provide some pointers on this subject.  :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Prism tape for spoons and spinners
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

I have been adding silver prism tape to my spoons when fishing off the beach for cutthroat for many years now. Although you can buy spoons with the tape already affixed (Gibbs Prism Croc), the spoon I prefer (Gibbs Ultra, 1/6 oz) doesn't have the tape, so I apply my own.  Personal experience, and observation, tells me that it makes a difference.

In the cutthroat's marine environment, needlefish make up a large part of their diet. In observing schools of needlefish, I've noted that they flash when they turn suddenly; a quick flash of their silver flank. I surmise that the additional flash on my spoon looks alot like a needlfish, and personal experience bears that out.       

alhambra

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »

Chrome looks black under water, how does this tape look undewater?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTi5nJqEzvo

That was a very good video.
I saw all 4 parts and sure beats reading either Kageyama or Sholseth's books. :)

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

I have been adding silver prism tape to my spoons when fishing off the beach for cutthroat for many years now. Although you can buy spoons with the tape already affixed (Gibbs Prism Croc), the spoon I prefer (Gibbs Ultra, 1/6 oz) doesn't have the tape, so I apply my own.  Personal experience, and observation, tells me that it makes a difference.

I am also looking for a suitable silver prism tape. I found one that's called laser tape and going to try that out this season as it looks very similar to one shown in How Fish Works and louded by Sholseth for its contrasting qualities under polarizing light.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »

Adding orange prism tape to silver or nickel spoons has made a world of difference for me on steelhead, cutties, and coho. Some days the colour definitely does matter!

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »

Whatever colour you go for don't buy your tape from tackle store-their markup is incredible and selection poor.

Look to your local hobby store for much more variety & prices a person can live with.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »

how does this tape look undewater?
Just like a needlefish, I hope! ;D In all serious, I can't say for sure as I have never dunked my head underwater to look at it, however as I retreive it I can see it flashing away as it approaches me.

I am also looking for a suitable silver prism tape. I found one that's called laser tape and going to try that out this season as it looks very similar to one shown in How Fish Works and louded by Sholseth for its contrasting qualities under polarizing light.
I have a couple of types of silver prism tape; not sure the brand. The challenge is getting it to stick to the contours of the spoon and not fall off..which it will :)