Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait for Rainbow Trout?  (Read 5218 times)

IFishTrout

Bait for Rainbow Trout?
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »

Hey guys, So I went fishing at Lafarge Lake and I sat there for 3 and a half hours and caught nothing. I used shrimp as bait and fish eggs (real ones). Also it was float fishing. Do Rainbow Trout get attracted to a spinner if I use one? Or should I just float fish? Also what type of bait is best for them? Thanks very much :)

colin6101

Re: Bait for Rainbow Trout?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »

Nothing wrong with the bait that you were using but it is always a good idea to switch it up if it is not working. Trout will definitely chase a spinner. You sometimes have to change the area or depth you are fishing as well. If you haven't had any bites for half an hour or so change it up and try something else.

FishingKing

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »

If float fishing isn't working, try bottom fishing those baits. You can also try worms or power bait.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »

Definitely a spinner works. I used to fish Lafarge on my lunch breaks. Must have been quite the sight wtih my dress shoes and pants and collared shirt and chucking a spinner. A little Mepps Aglia, size 1, brass blade worked on trout everywhere, including Lafarge.   

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

Len Thompson 1/5 oz hammered brass and flame is a killer spoon for spring trout.
Mepps Aglia #1 spinner with gold blade and orange tip is another killer app.
When fishing powerbait I have found chartruse most productive when used in combination with 4# flurocarbon leader, #8 octopus hook and 1/8 or 1/4 oz egg sinker sliding on top of a small swivel. No float.
Enjoy! :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »

You should have at least 10 different things to try when fishing for trout.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »

Had a fun day this morning at rice lake by using worm..

alhambra

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »

Small spinners are great...But depends on the color they are after for...

Fillibert

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »

I was using #1 spinners and small spoons all evening @ deer lake, not a single bite. Joined up with some guys at the dock and they were using huge spoons (salmon size). I kinda laughed inside thinking if they won't bite my stuff then these guys don't stand a chance, they are scaring all the fish away (the spoons dropping in the water sounded like someone was throwing rocks). But to my surprise a guy got a small trout with one so... you never know what they will bite.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 01:05:23 AM »

I was there too in the evening, maybe I saw you, I was the kid in the black hoodie. Most of the fish hooked were on small stuff, the one guy using a big spoon on the right corner didn't touch a fish while I was there. I hooked 4 on a small rooster tail and the other 2 guys using #1 blue fox spinners also got into fish. Very slow day overall compared to what I expected. All hits were in close on small spoons but still really slow.

chronicfisher

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:10:22 AM »

Ive gotten bites using a #3 mepps at deer lake but only bass.yet to hook into a trout a deer lake.but my friends did hook into a monster trout that he was unable to land due to the shoreline.for some reason the fish at deer lake like metal over plastic in my experiences there so far.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:15:00 AM by chronicfisher »

rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »

I've never been to Lafarge lake, but other than trolling the only luck I have had with rainbow trout has been bottom fishing, and using something like powerbait or a small float and shrimp (still fished off the bottom).  You can use a slip float to get down there or use a small sliding weight attached above a swivel, then however long of a leader seems to work, tied to a small hook.  The sliding weight allows the trout to grab the hook and bait without the reistance of the sinker.  I'm still a rookie at all of this, so take my advice with that in mind.