Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Water fly fishing setups  (Read 4889 times)

fishingwithegg2

Wild Water fly fishing setups
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »

I've been using the bubble-fly method for about half a year now, landed quite a few fish using that technique.  ;D
Now that I know how to match the hatch, figured I might as well move on to the real thing.

I scoured the internet for an entry level fly setup, and found starter combos as cheap as $20 to upwards of $200.
However, this company "Wild Water Fly Fishing" caught my eye on Amazon.com.
They currently have a Christmas sale on their starter packages. According to the reviews they seem to have the best bang for your buck, and good customer service too.
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-Fly-Fishing-Complete/dp/B001IAHX6A/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A2Q35LPI7IDWHL

Has anybody bought their products and have something to say about them?

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Wild Water fly fishing setups
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »

If you buy a cheap no-name brand set up, and decide to upgrade in a few years, your no-name brand setup will be very hard to sell for a half-decent price.  Also, if you need a warranty or a replacement part down the road, its nice to know the company will still exist.  If you can't afford Sage, G. Loomis etc new, try something used thats a decent brand.

Mid-range brands like Dragonfly, TFO sell pretty good stuff for cheap.  Its made in Korea, but they've both companies are based in North America.  Most rods made now cast pretty nice.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:36:59 PM by Matt »

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:11 AM »

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=29&page_id=61&product_type=1

can't beat this, I had the solo single hand rod a while back and it was a very smooth, easy loading rod. plus Echo has a no BS lifetime warranty.....just a thought
A swung fly is the best fly.

tyee slayer

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »

If you buy a cheap no-name brand set up, and decide to upgrade in a few years, your no-name brand setup will be very hard to sell for a half-decent price.  Also, if you need a warranty or a replacement part down the road, its nice to know the company will still exist.  If you can't afford Sage, G. Loomis etc new, try something used thats a decent brand.

Mid-range brands like Dragonfly, TFO sell pretty good stuff for cheap.  Its made in Korea, but they've both companies are based in North America.  Most rods made now cast pretty nice.

Ill second this, good advice
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »

Guys he can get this whole set up now for the sale price of $ 89. For a beginner that sounds like a good entry level starter rod combo. Beat the heck out of it, and then if you really like flyfishing move up to a more expensive rod.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »

For $89 you can go to a local tackle shop and get a rod and reel (dragonfly) but will still have to buy the line separately.

I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with the wildwater rod and reel but I bet the line stinks.

That being said don't knock it till ya try it.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »

For $89 you can go to a local tackle shop and get a rod and reel (dragonfly) but will still have to buy the line separately.

I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with the wildwater rod and reel but I bet the line stinks.

That being said don't knock it till ya try it.

I have fished 30 dollar rods, and $800 dollar rods. I can work a cheap rod into doing what I want it to, but a cheap line is just not worth the hassle. I learned on a 20 dollar Air Cel line, and Ive had cheaper 10 dollar no name lines from Ebay, all fly like poop. Cheaping out on the reel is fine, the rod is less ideal, but still ok, but the line, in my mind, should not be messed with. Pay the 40-80 dollars for a decent line (more if you want to go sharkskin, or Airflo lines.)

I dont like to knock it til I try it either, but I have a passionate hate for crappy lines.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »

Dont forget to check out www.Cabelas.com
they have cheap rods, reels, and lines all at a decent quality.
Their warranty is also hassle free. I got my cabelas $30 reel and $20 cracked fly line replaced with no hassle and all these products perform fairly well.

Be sure to check out their bargain cave, and you might find a decent price for a higher quality brand.

PS. might as well spend extra cash on a good brand, because you're going to be ADDICTED to flyfishing.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:37:07 PM by Ssypark »