Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas  (Read 25124 times)

Brian the fisherman

Re: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »

There has to be more DFO presence doing something about the people fishing  extra long snagging lines, and keeping foul hooked fish.

I believe we should adopt something in the lines of leader length restriction like washington state. they have hook size limits on certain rivers aswell as leader length limits.

There was so much ridiculous snagging and just lack of respect for the fish once snagged. dragged up on rocks to flop around and just be kicked back in once un hooked.

The limit hole for the vedder was ridiculous for snaggers near the end of the season and its still happening as I was up there today. watched 3 coho get caught and kept being hooked by the tail.
All 3 were wild too.

I wish our government cared about the fish.
Tight lines to all

DRP79

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »

This was my second season fishing and it seemed slower than last year, likely because last year there were pinks too.

-I didnt see nearly as many springs this year as I did last year.

-I tend to avoid the usual people traps where I saw a lot of unethical behavior last season. I noticed that I saw a lot more of this behavior spread around the river this year to go with what seemed like more anglers .

- I did manage to get my first coho this season but it was pathetically small, about 2 lbs I would guess. It was the only one I got this season.

- Chum run was much better than last year on the Vedder.

- I also got to try out Green Timbers this year and it was a fun way to fill gaps in trips to the flow while practicing with my fly rod.

-I would like to see more DFO out, I didnt see one yet this year. Mind you, I only got checked once last year and it was during steelhead season. I like the undercover fisherman idea. Hopefully that would cut down on the unethical techniques used and the disregard for limits.

- I like the idea of leader length restrictions too.

JPW

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

Love the idea of more undercover COs.

Fines should be increased to a level that really make people think about breaking the rules (pays for more COs).

As for garbage cans at Stave.  It would be a nice convenience, but what is wrong with people?  Pack it in, pack it out!!!

Shawn6o4

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »

I think crabbing needs to looked at more too, never once have i seen the poachers at the docks get fines or anything, and i see people taking bags and bags full of crabs daily at cates,jericho seem to be the worst for late night poaching

flyrabbit

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »

I thought Fish for the Future this year was a great event...My daughter enjoyed fly casting very much.

I hope it will continue next year!

joshhowat

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »

Seeing chum killed for there eggs.

Long leaders every river you go to now, even the T WTF.

People not know the limits and wtf they are catching.

No more wild steelhead out of water even if it is for a quick pic, just like Washington.

And last more bait bans in place. You don't need bait to catch fish, it has a huge bi catch of smolts. It also leads to people killing female fish just for roe.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »

Seeing chum killed for there eggs.

Long leaders every river you go to now, even the T WTF.

People not know the limits and wtf they are catching.

No more wild steelhead out of water even if it is for a quick pic, just like Washington.

And last more bait bans in place. You don't need bait to catch fish, it has a huge bi catch of smolts. It also leads to people killing female fish just for roe.

I would love to see a bait ban on lots of rivers. Too many people poaching just for the roe and it happens on almost every river. If you stopped the use of bait you would stop the slitting of the bellies.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

Lots of roe poaching is for sturgeon. A bait ban won't help unless you ban sturgeon fishing.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »

I would love to see a bait ban on lots of rivers. Too many people poaching just for the roe and it happens on almost every river. If you stopped the use of bait you would stop the slitting of the bellies.

This is gypsy logic at its finest.

Too many people illegally harvesting fish for roe? How would a bait ban stop this problem when these same individuals have already demonstrated a clear disregard for the regulations?  ???

You think a bait ban on Cheakimus stops these same guys from tossing bait up there? Unless it is for legitimate conservation means then I can't see a need for a bait ban.

Actions speak louder than words.

DRP79

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »

Are you guys talking about killing a fish for roe and then disgarding the fish? I killed a clean chum for roe this year but i also took it home and made delicious fish cakes.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »

Would love to see more CO's but let's be honest folks, with all the cuts recently this is not going to happen anytime soon.

I think a leader restriction SOUNDS like a good idea, but implementing it will be tough without any enforcement and the snaggers will still find a way to snag (see: flyfishing).

Stocking in the local lakes has been great and I've introduced a few new people to fishing this year because of it.  I'd like to see this continue with my thanks!  I'd like to see the limits go down here too, but in all likelihood this won't stop the folks who kill everything from continuing to kill everything.

Other than that I don't have much to add.  Thanks for taking the feedback, Rod!

Tex

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »

Are you guys talking about killing a fish for roe and then disgarding the fish? I killed a clean chum for roe this year but i also took it home and made delicious fish cakes.

Yes DRP79, the folks above are talking about killing chum, taking the roe, and then leaving the carcass behind.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »

Yes. You can find plenty of fish on the riverbank with slit bellies, which is illegal.
Keeping chum does is not illegal as long as you don't waste it.
It is unlawful to
Waste the fish you catch.
If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water.

lucas

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

Bait ban on all rivers,and more co,s

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »

I guess I should be a bit more specific on what feedbacks we are looking for so the entire thread doesn't turn into another discussion on the usages of bait vs. fly at our rivers.

How has your experience been when fishing in Region 2 (rivers, lakes, saltwater) in 2012? Would you say you've had plenty of opportunities? Catch success has been high? Overall a positive experience? Did you take anyone who has never tried fishing before?

I know people have asked for more enforcement, but at what point enforcement is considered adequate? 50 officers in the Lower Mainland? 100? People always need to phone in and report violations, regardless whether you think officers will show up or not. This has been stressed again and again by enforcement at our meetings because anglers are their eyes and ears. With the support of this community, enforcement can be performed more efficiently and effectively.