Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, November 27th 2012  (Read 1577 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Chehalis River, November 27th 2012
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »

Beautiful day with sun.  Frost in the morning.    River at moderate height and clear with green hue.   More coho waiting at the hatchery than I have ever seen before but I don't go to the Chehalis every year.  A few fishers about, enough to have somebody on either side of every run but no crowding.   A very few zombie chum in the river and a few fire hydrant coho.   Saw four bright coho caught and retained.  Nothing for me.  Caught one whitefish about 11 inches long.  Recovered several good blades, floats and jigs.  Only a few eagles about, probably because of the dearth of chum in the river.    With a good chum run to the LM this year, where are the Chehalis chum?  I have seen this river jammed with chum.  A passing fisher commented that he had seen no large coho this year.   Are they yet to come?

Bandit420

Re: Chehalis River, November 27th 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »

The chum have come and gone by now. Seen the odd one hooked but most are zombified or spawning now. There are coho in there, you just got to find them.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »

tributaries and side channels had good numbers of chum it appeared, you usually dont see crazy numbers of them in the mainstem.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »

It's usually the tribs that get the chum stocking done as that's the spawning grounds for most rivers and that's where the nutrients are needed.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »

Good numbers of chum in the main flow 5-20 years ago....enough that one section of one of our favorite runs was nick-named the "dog house".....saw a few more this year compared to the last couple of seasons....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart