Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon returning to Still Creek for the first time in decades  (Read 3812 times)

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
Salmon returning to Still Creek for the first time in decades
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

Great news!

Salmon returning to Still Creek for the first time in decades

BY JENNIFER MOREAU, BURNABY NOW NOVEMBER 8, 2012 9:23 AM

Chum salmon are returning to Burnaby's Still Creek for the first time in decades. The creek, which runs through an industrial corridor, was once very likely the most polluted waterway in the Lower Mainland. Thanks to years of rehabilitation work, the salmon are now returning.

Photograph by: Contributed photo , BURNABY NOW

What used to be the most polluted waterway in the Burnaby is now home to spawning salmon returning to Still Creek for the first time in decades.

"That's been just really exciting to see," said Mark Angelo, chair emeritus at BCIT's Rivers Institute. "The fact I can take my grandson, and take him to a creek right in his own community, ... to see his first salmon, that's something incredible. That's something I'll always remember."

Angelo, a world-renowned conservationist and founder of Rivers Day, has been involved in rehabilitating Still Creek for nearly 40 years. The 12-kilometre creek runs through Vancouver and Burnaby and empties into Burnaby Lake. Its path is in an area that has been largely industrial since the early 1930s. Angelo remembers how the smell of sewage was still on the creek 40 years ago, when it was connected to a combined sewer and storm drain.

"When it rained, we'd often get sewage flowing directly into the system," he said.

According to Angelo, there has been an extensive effort on the part of groups such as the BCIT Fish and Wildlife Program, the City of Burnaby, BCIT's Rivers Institute, the City of Vancouver, Metro Vancouver and streamkeeper groups,

"In recent years, water quality has improved noticeably - both in-stream and streamside habitat has been enhanced - and an improved fish ladder was installed downstream at the outlet of Burnaby Lake," he said.

Angelo said he's seen the first major chum salmon return on possibly 80 or 90 years. "The big chum run this year took a lot of people by surprise," he said. "We would not have seen the number of fish in the upper parts of Still Creek had the habitat not been improved."

Angelo hopes this year's salmon run is the just the start of a regular phenomenon, and he regards Still Creek as a sign of hope. Angelo said witnessing the public's reaction when they spot the salmon has been great.

"I saw school children who had just learned about the salmon lifecycle in school and were incredibly excited to be able to see it in real life. I've also seen some longtime residents get quite emotional about seeing this amazing spectacle unfold right in their own community. And to see this right in the middle of a very developed part of our city is special," he said. "From my perspective, to see this once severely damaged stream come back to life highlights the fact, that if there's a will, and a plan is put in place and adhered to, then we can turn things around. So we should never give up on any river."

© Copyright (c) Burnaby Now

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon returning to Still Creek for the first time in decades
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

Wow! Thats awesome! Great story! ;D

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

Great news. If they can some how re-connect Still Creek with the Renfrew Ravine, that would really be something.

Pin-nook

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »

Jurassic Park Quote

"If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is."

"I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way."

- Dr. Ian Malcolm(Jeff Goldblum)

The funny thing is that Still Creek is a couple meters away from the back of my warehouse and a half a block away from the video taken for Global BC.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Nature had very little to do with this....it was years of hard work and many vollenteers that dedicated themselves to bringing life back to this river.

Almost every urban river has a group that you can join and give something back...it is very rewarding when you see this kind of results.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »

Very cool.  Pretty impressive accomplishment by volunteers.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »

Unfortunately it wont take much of a spill to wipe this creek out again such has been done with the Brunette.
Is just too easy to dump them nasty chemicals down the storm drain. :-X

Pin-nook

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »

Nature had very little to do with this....it was years of hard work and many vollenteers that dedicated themselves to bringing life back to this river.

Not taking away from the Stream Keepers and Volunteers that tried to restore or at least create an enviroment for which life can be sustained, without Nature doing it's thing all your left with is a clean river or stream. Can't really say that Nature had very little to do with it but it sure was helped along!

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

Amazing stuff. Yeah I've been running BBY lake the past few weeks and seen a ton of chum at the dam and talked to Elmer with Brunette game society and he says there are about 50 a day going through their pen at the dam.  Very nice to see.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »

Awesome!

Toprod

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »

Going to be beekers with 3 oz bouncing balls and 15 foot leaders in there in no time.