Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shameful fishing tactics on the Vedder  (Read 8260 times)

Steelie1030

Shameful fishing tactics on the Vedder
« on: November 04, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

Was out for my first trip to the Vedder this year and started in the lower river on Saturday ...no luck, so we went up to Borden Creek and fished as we walked downstream. We came across a guy who was fishing a high bank area who had a couple of chrome coho on the bank. We exchanged hellos and 'nice fish' with guy and continued down stream. I just happened to look back and this guy has another fish and drags it up the wall onto the gravel and bonks it. So we watched him from a distance. Two minutes later he's into another and drags it up the bank and bonks that one as well. Now, we watched him closely. He's got dark glasses on and is standing back from the edge of the bank about four feet. He drops his line straight in and immediately yanks up. Another fish on...same story..drags it up on the beach and bonks it...now we know he's got five at least. So my buddy and I walk up to him and ask him WTF he thinks he's doing. Not only does he have five showing but he's got two more stashed under a bush. He says he only needs one more for his limit. So we ask him to show us his secret lure. He's using what had to be a 7/0 hook sturgeon size with a tiny piece of green wool on a one foot leader of about 40 LB test and above that he's got about 8-10 inches of pencil lead crimped onto his line. He was snagging all his fish but he says to us that coho really like green wool. My buddy gives him cupcakes and tells him that we were going to call fisheries and report him. We tried to shame him into quitting his deplorable tactics.Didn't even faze him, he went right back to snagging. When we first met him he looked like a respectable angler who had some talent. Looks can really be deceiving. I wonder how many others, like this guy, it takes to absolutely ruin a great fishery.
Sorry about the long winded rant but this really put a crimp in my day. The day wasn't a complete write-off..we did really well when we went down river below the crossing. I think a fresh run of fish came through and despite the pissing rain that was falling sideways, the fish were actually biting..imagine that..if you can Mr Snagger.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Shameful fishing tactics on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

Ah yes the famous green wool. Just slays em!

bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »

He must have multiple personalities if his limit is 8. I've see people fish like that on the upper Vedder in past years, at first I thought WTF are they using and then figured out they were experts...experts at snagging. Fish almost every cast...or flip I guess you might call it.

Did you know in Alaska and other parts of North America they actually have a season for snagging :o No joke...look it up on the internet.

BN

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

It's this kind of crap that's made me avoid the Vedder this year. I've found two other smaller flows with much less crowds, mostly ethical anglers, and just as many coho to be had.

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

Did you end up reporting the snagger to RAPP?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »

At least 80-90% of the river users today were flossing/snagging. Wasnt able to find much good water, but found a piece of water that seemed like the last strong hold of short floaters.
The Bigger The Better!

mvelasco

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »

Was it someone in a long coat and cowboy hat? Because I saw that same thing happen as well on Thursday. It certainly sucks when you see it occur ans I can't imagine what the lower would look like during peak runs.always fished above tamahi

bunnta

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »

many and i mean lots of ppl do it, i started calling some of those guys that put their polarize sunglasses on sight flossers. they just ruin the entire run for the day, even if u got there first light. fish uber spooked, which made me quit fishing vedder this year and fish another flow with better ethical fisher. met a couple of guys and we shared lots of good infos. they couldnt figure out how to fish clear water properly, what makes u think they'll fish dirty high water properly  ???

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

I hope you guys got a good picture of this guy as it would make for ID'ing this person alot easier for DFO.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mvelasco

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »

many and i mean lots of ppl do it, i started calling some of those guys that put their polarize sunglasses on sight flossers. they just ruin the entire run for the day, even if u got there first light. fish uber spooked, which made me quit fishing vedder this year and fish another flow with better ethical fisher. met a couple of guys and we shared lots of good infos. they couldnt figure out how to fish clear water properly, what makes u think they'll fish dirty high water properly  ???
that shameful to wear polarized glasses?
I wear em to see the fish (yes i know floss 101) but I honestly think its interesting to watch the fish move in the water. So when days or weeks like these where Vis is poop i can have some sort of idea where they are or hold.

crazypop

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »

Green wool really works? ;)

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »

that shameful to wear polarized glasses?
I wear em to see the fish (yes i know floss 101) but I honestly think its interesting to watch the fish move in the water. So when days or weeks like these where Vis is poop i can have some sort of idea where they are or hold.
I don't think it's shameful to wear polarized glasses. I wear mine on the river and out on the ocean, they protect your eyes from hooks and banana weights.
I like to see where the fish are holding or being able to see the river bed while I'm wading.

Unfortunately you see these shameful tactics on every river nowadays it seems. Today north side of the Fraser I came across a group of 4 anglers who thought they were hidden from sight of other anglers. I was returning up river and watched them cast, reel, rip, reep, rip, reel, rip and repeat. intentional attempt to snag fish. notices me walking up, stops fishing and tells me I should go fish up river. Saw a few tomatoes on the rocks behind them. made a call back at the car....all you can do really

1son

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »

Pretty sure I seen the same guy up by borden using the same tactics but he was with his son a few weekends ago both flossing/snagging wearing dark polarized glasses pretty shameless if you ask me... I tried a few things roe/single jensen/wool/blade no luck at all and wondered how these guys can be slaying them hoes so easily cause the water was pretty quick you couldn't really get a clean drift unless you in the right spot but those areas were already taken like usual.......Watched for a lil bit as they kept snagging fish standing on boulders waiting for fish to come thru so they can cast out and perfectly align there line with them not sure how many they got but looked like a lot from what I seen they were using pretty big hooks and a small piece of wool

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »

I think I found where the flossers have come from. Here: http://www.fishwhatcom.com/fishingreports/October-2012-whatcom-skagit-fishing-report-mayberry.html
Scroll down to BC river report.
Someone was here

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »

Pretty sure that if you were on the Vedder today, you were witness to nothing but "shameful fishing tactics". Watched a couple of  :o short floaters  :o pretending to be legit- but missing the hook set hard...and yelling "he had it in his mouth!!!!!"-  ::) we all know what you are doing...easy way to snag a fish is to have a short float line and short leader, gob of roe with a tuft of wool to make it look legit. After a couple of more failed attempts at setting the hook, the guy saw that we were watching and pointed at his gear..."I'm legal... I'm short floating!!" - you're not!! Description and details sent to RAPP.