Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do it Yourself - A Guide to save money on hardware (Inline and Colorado Blades)  (Read 5636 times)

RyanB

--I have bought from them... they also have instruction books available... most of their components are USA made and bulk price is OK... Canadian Dollars and shipping... Depends on how many you are making and if you want the variety their quantities and prices not bad... To get same components direct from USA you may have to purchase 1000 vs 100 to get much better price plus USA dollar and Shipping although most of this stuff you can get send US postal ground which is not expensive.

--Its not all about saving money.... custom lures for your situation can be a benefit.. shorter shaft or extra bead for different spin or added weight. I've used Mylar spacer on ultralight gear to get better spin without adding weight.
--Conscider buying with a group each getting their special and trade or sell of the rest at cost for more variety.
--Like flyfishing, its part of the fun to make and modify your own lures.

Thank you, Skaha.  I'll probably buy a bunch in a few weeks.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

island boy

check out the worth company. they got quality stuff. worthcompany.com i think.
you kill it, you clean it.

island boy

sorry. worthco.com
you kill it, you clean it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

The biggest issue i see locally is the blades are junk.
You have to order from the USA if you want good quality and yes you will pay dearly for it.

Yup your right firstlight, the stuff you get up here is not worth buying. I buy all my stuff from Hagens in the states and there blades and other stuff are top notch and that is why I buy from them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

SteelheadAdict

Geff u are so right and there prices are really good

aaron.az

I know the nickel plated blades rust pretty damn fast throwing them anywhere near the salt, and theyre said to turn appear black in murky water. silver plated way to go .

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Just picked up some Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash hooks from Sea-Run. They are one of the best spinner/spoon hooks - open eye, offset, with a hook point shaped very nice for holding power. 
They weren't too expensive: 50c per hook for an 8 pack. They'll be cheaper if you can find them in bulk.

Just switched over to these guys myself at the beginning of this season, so far very happy with these hooks.
Also like the black hooks better.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Just picked up some Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash hooks from Sea-Run. They are one of the best spinner/spoon hooks - open eye, offset, with a hook point shaped very nice for holding power. 
They weren't too expensive: 50c per hook for an 8 pack. They'll be cheaper if you can find them in bulk.

You can get them in bulk from Hagens.com but you have to buy 1000 at a time as they are a special order. They are $177 US for 1000 and you have to phone them and ask them for them as they are not in this years catalogue.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

aaron.az

Guess its best to go in as a group to get a 1000..what the hell are you gonna do with a thousand of the same hooks if you aint gonna sell your lures