Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: when fishing roe fly or egg patterns  (Read 12303 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
when fishing roe fly or egg patterns
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

hello everyone,
i wanted to learn more about how to set up my rod and fly line and also effectively fish a roe fly or egg pattern in 4 to 8 feet water depth?

cheers,

ali.

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: when fishing roe fly or egg patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »

Depending on the water you could dead drift the fly.
or
You attach a bite indicator to the leader and let it drift under the indicator. Depending on the fly you may want to add a small split shot to get it down.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

Depending on the water you could dead drift the fly.
or
You attach a bite indicator to the leader and let it drift under the indicator. Depending on the fly you may want to add a small split shot to get it down.

if you are adding an indicator or split, may as well buy and float fish one of Dans (EveryDays) roe flies with your typical gear/drift set up...

the only one that sunk ok for me using a clear intermediate was a 3 egg pattern that Dan tied up for me, even then I was having to cast far upstream and  stack line constantly to try to maintain that "natural" drift. 

I never did try with a split shot or indicator because for me it goes against my own views of what fly fishing is.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:44:23 PM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

--I sometimes use a dry line with  poly... sink tip.. depending on water speed can get different sizes and sink rates... I use an orange loop on end of dry line which in part acts as a strike indicator.
--I use a loop system and take along several interchangeable leaders so can adjust quickly if required.
--In some areas I use full sinking line... usually in shallow fast moving water that I can wade in... then cast direct upstream or direct downstream.
--If casting across stream I use the dry line set up... mend often if dead drifting to keep leader hanging below line end rather than swinging it... I find the changeable sink tips keep the line very straight below the dry line as they are much thinner than a regular sink tip or sink line also use with short leader.
--I use several different egg colours ... white, purple, orange... even the sparkle type mostly single egg pattern or two eggs on longer shaft hook with white feather in between rather than a cluster. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »

If you're gonna go for roe flies... I normally tie up heavy weighted ones (dumbell eyes and lead wrap) in the 3 egg pattern.
They get down in a hurry.

I fish them nymph style, cast upstream from a downriver angle and just keep up on your line as it comes towards you.
Line will go tight and just set the hook. Can swing them too but I get way more fish on the dead drift. Same goes for glo bugs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:21 AM »

The most effective way to fish egg patterns for me has been exactly as fishing a nymph with an indicator. Apply split shot to the leader. Weighting any fly so it gets down over 4 feet  results in something more like a brightly coloured rock rather than a naturally drifted salmon eggs. In some limited circumstances I've caught fish with just the egg pattern with no added weight.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

If you're gonna go for roe flies... I normally tie up heavy weighted ones (dumbell eyes and lead wrap) in the 3 egg pattern.
They get down in a hurry.

I fish them nymph style, cast upstream from a downriver angle and just keep up on your line as it comes towards you.
Line will go tight and just set the hook. Can swing them too but I get way more fish on the dead drift. Same goes for glo bugs.

so if i understand correctly. floating line with a leader about 6 to 8 feet and a weighted roe fly? if im using a single egg would a swivel and then tippet do the trick?or should i use an intermediate sink tip and then leader to a swivel to single egg?

thanks for the input guys.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »

so if i understand correctly. floating line with a leader about 6 to 8 feet and a weighted roe fly? if im using a single egg would a swivel and then tippet do the trick?or should i use an intermediate sink tip and then leader to a swivel to single egg?

thanks for the input guys.

I personally try never to add anything to the fly line when I am fly fishing, I feel like I should just gear fish in that case. Most times I am fly fishing this method for salmon/trout/steelhead though it is a fly fishing only section, so I am not able to regardless.

I generally run a leader around 2-3 feet deeper or more than the depth of the run. As said, I cast way up river and slowly mend and strip in my line to keep up with the fly coming towards me. I don't like sink tips because I can't really control the swing properly. I like floating because you can also use the end as a strike indicator.

Cheers,
Dan

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »

I don't see what the problem is using split shot under an indicator with a glo-bug or roe flie. Its still fly fishing since you're using fly tackle. Actually this is exactly the same thing as nymphing, just with an egg fly. Don't hear anyone (except real hardline "purists") saying anything negative about guys doing that. Also in the Great Lakes Region this is the preferred method for catching Steelhead. I Caught my first Steelhead on the fly last year using this technique but I'm pretty sure it would work well for coho too, especially when the water starts to get colder or if you're targeting fish that refuse to chase your fly.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

I don't see what the problem is using split shot under an indicator with a glo-bug or roe flie. Its still fly fishing since you're using fly tackle.

Because its more effective to fish this type of presentation with bait (or roe lures) with gear. Some people dont think this is fly fishing, and would use a float fish rig instead. There is nothing wrong with that, just peoples thoughts and opinions. Personally, Ive had a roe fly, a swivel, and and an indicator, because at the time, it worked. The swivel as I had no split shot. I probably would have caught more fish with a float and pin setup, but I dont fish with gear. Whether people like TayC think its fly fishing or not is irrelevant, and they are allowed to have their own views on the subject. So there is no problem, but it sure isnt the most efficient way to fish, and when you start getting into some heavy flies and weights, and an indicator, it can be a nightmare to cast to where you need to. Absolutely horrible. 

For the single egg pattern, I do egg yarn, with lead and an orange tungsten bead to weight it. That thing drops through the water column quite well! Also, as said, I use a floating line, and use the tip as an indicator. Adjust your leader length accordingly, I do one and a half ratio of water depth to leader length. 6 feet of water, 9 feet of leader.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

I don't see what the problem is using split shot under an indicator with a glo-bug or roe flie. Its still fly fishing since you're using fly tackle. Actually this is exactly the same thing as nymphing, just with an egg fly. Don't hear anyone (except real hardline "purists") saying anything negative about guys doing that. Also in the Great Lakes Region this is the preferred method for catching Steelhead. I Caught my first Steelhead on the fly last year using this technique but I'm pretty sure it would work well for coho too, especially when the water starts to get colder or if you're targeting fish that refuse to chase your fly.

--It is OK to have your own defenition of flyfishing as long as you are not in an area that is designated flyfishing only.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »

The most effective way to fish egg patterns for me has been exactly as fishing a nymph with an indicator. Apply split shot to the leader. Weighting any fly so it gets down over 4 feet  results in something more like a brightly coloured rock rather than a naturally drifted salmon eggs. In some limited circumstances I've caught fish with just the egg pattern with no added weight.

x2

When I used to high stick nymph the Bow river I would use around 9ft of tippet between my indicator and fly. Typically I would also add some additional weight a few feet above my fly. In Alberta that would be in the form of a heavily weighted fly such as a san jaun worm but since we're talking BC, a few micro split shot would work.
Actions speak louder than words.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »

this is great info. Mucho appreciated! I have not yet tried this technique this year. I think I will on Saturday or Sunday...

fishtooth

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »

I just dead drift those type of patterns