Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano on May 19 th  (Read 7352 times)

gumboots

• I'm a llama!
Capilano on May 19 th
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:48:51 PM »

Decided to check out the Cap. flow for my first try this  year. Out the door and my lady says  Quit putting the small ones back. ,Put the big ones back. I'll explain one day !! Got there later than intended.about  8 ish. Darn rush hour. #%*&   Went to look at cable pool and water is up with a good flow, talked to one fellow and he said he lost one earlier. Oh good !! I'm thinking..... Where I go there should be fish, just by looking at the river flow as an indicator . So off I go .Got to my reg. place and 1 other fellow was there that I had met several times before .He filled me in ,Boy he is doing well . Got rigged up,second cast I feel tap , tap , AHH !! fish .Back in right away and tap , tap , Whack , there he is . Silver flash and roll , Off  !!  Fished for about an hour more and Tap , tap , again . Retreived in and put on another piece of cured  chum from  2 years ago . Lovely stuff , I could almost eat it myself . Back in the flow  , Wait , wait , for the tailout swing and  FISH ON  !!  Got'em .  Flash and roll ,what a sight ...Fellow above me says you sure got a spunky one on there   , got it to shore , looked at it  and thought  what  Mrs. Gumboots had  said earlier ,  BONK !!  nice size ,  2 + lbs.   Yummy in my tummy ....may try again tomorrow !!  

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Capilano on May 19 th
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:04:57 PM »

Green worms ? What has the the good Doctor being smoking ? ;D

gumboots

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:27:54 PM »

Don't think the doctor has been into anything illegal , he must have some secret remedy most  don't know about . lol.... ( green worms  huh !!   ) ;

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:25:26 PM »

Not too much room for flyfishing but it can be done

gumboots

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 06:19:44 PM »

Matt , there are many places to throw fur / feathers . How effective I don't know ?? Going to try myself one day when a few more fish are in . But most I see do well on bait . Would like to try a bottom walker but don't have any ...could trade for green worms . I am confident I can catch a hoe on a bottom walker fly where I go , such nice water for feathers . Maybe I'll have to talk to the Doc. Hope you can make it to the Cap.

FishKid

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 06:32:50 PM »

I'll be at the capilano this weekend.  If we get a some rain from now until the weekend it would be great.

More and more coho's are starting to arrive. By june the coho fishing on the cap should improve a lot.  Right now you have to find the coho's or you could just wait for a the fish to come to you.  But I prefer searching for them instead of staying in one spot and waiting for the fish to come to you.  Also it's good excercise. The reason why you should search for these early coho's in May is because the coho's aren't throughout the whole river yet.  But by june-mid june these fish should be spread throughtout the whole river system.

FishKid

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 06:34:06 PM »

thanks for the report gumboots.  And goodluck on your next trip to the capilano.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 07:27:48 PM »

Just stay at one place at high tide and wait......

FishKid

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 07:45:33 PM »

yeah,  you could do that but I rather not.  I usually go to doctors pool and then up to the cable and dogleg, then back down to dogleg, back up etc.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 10:36:53 PM »

Fisherman,

Sure you can flyfish - Not Floss. But you have to wait till the water's a bit lower. Mid July on.

It's one of the best places to flyfish. Next best to dryfly. Imagine, Water is gin clear & a coho's chasing the fly out of nowhere & slamming it just inches under the surface - for all the world to see. Then a series of leaps & jumps. Don't get much better then that.

I've actually had Cohos stalk my fly.

Seem one slowly miandering by my fly just under the water, uninterested. Then with one quick pull, got this 4 lb beauty to turn it's head & smack the fly.

Ohhhhhh, Baby.... I can't wait.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 08:13:29 AM by Obi Wan »
May the fish be with you!