Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fraser chum run  (Read 11687 times)

Silex-user

Re: fraser chum run
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

Good to see the chum numbers are high again. Good for eco-systems.

Silex-user

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:44 AM »

For those who are interested in how the Fraser River chum salmon run is coming along this year compared to past several seasons, here is a brief overview that I've written up after being briefed by local DFO managers.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/2012-10-24-good-news-for-fraser-river-chum-salmon.html

dcajaxs

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 06:01:54 AM »

For those who are interested in how the Fraser River chum salmon run is coming along this year compared to past several seasons, here is a brief overview that I've written up after being briefed by local DFO managers.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/2012-10-24-good-news-for-fraser-river-chum-salmon.html

thanks Rod for the information,

bluenoser

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

So all those boats on the Fraser today must have been First nations.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »

So all those boats on the Fraser today must have been First nations.

No their was a commercial opening. Just spoke to a friend who was working on his uncles boat today. He said they got tons of fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 01:20:58 AM »

Not sure if the boats you saw around Golden Ears are commercial, as I can't seem to find the notice for that. The only commercial opening that I am aware of yesterday took place outside Steveston (Fraser River mouth) and there are economic opportunities for First Nations taking place downstream from Port Mann, as well as between the confluence of Sumas and Agassiz bridge. It'll affect the chum salmon fishing, but shouldn't (or hopefully) affect the coho salmon fishing too much.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »

Commies were all over Triangle Road area as well.

ICA

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 07:18:28 AM »

Fellas, I was on the Fraser on Wednesday thinking I could launch from Island 22 and head to one of the bars, but FN fishery was in full swing and they were all over the place. As a result, even the guides ended up bringing their clients to the mouth of the Harrison, resulting in a lot of boats huddles into one small section at the confluence. Lots of chums and many fresh ones too.

Does anyone know how long will this opening go for and whether it would be a few more days before the Chum numbers go back up again. I am trying to buildup my roe supply and therefore after Chum.

Tight lines guys!

bluenoser

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »

Do the First nations and the Commercial fisheries target Chum for the Roe only?

BN

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »

Yesterday commie boats where everywhere in the lower Fraser

salmonlover

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »

Do the First nations and the Commercial fisheries target Chum for the Roe only?

BN

look at the comment above you, and you should get your answer. most people (not all) only view chum as good for roe.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

Not sure if the boats you saw around Golden Ears are commercial, as I can't seem to find the notice for that. The only commercial opening that I am aware of yesterday took place outside Steveston (Fraser River mouth) and there are economic opportunities for First Nations taking place downstream from Port Mann, as well as between the confluence of Sumas and Agassiz bridge. It'll affect the chum salmon fishing, but shouldn't (or hopefully) affect the coho salmon fishing too much.

there was 8 commercial boats between Fort langley and the Stave. this morning I saw 3 at first light, they were gone on the ride home in the afternoon. maybe just a 24hr opening

aaron.az

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »

Least a dozen past the skytrain bridge and Patullo.

ICA

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »

Fellas, allow me to clarify my comment that I was looking for Chums to build up by roe stock; I do eat Chum when they are fresh, and would never catch one just for the roe and then dump the fish itself. Thats just me and I am not implying anything about others who might do things differently.

Tight lines fellas and enjoy but respect the wonderful fishery we are all blessed with. Take only what we NEED!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »

Fellas, allow me to clarify my comment that I was looking for Chums to build up by roe stock; I do eat Chum when they are fresh, and would never catch one just for the roe and then dump the fish itself. Thats just me and I am not implying anything about others who might do things differently.

Tight lines fellas and enjoy but respect the wonderful fishery we are all blessed with. Take only what we NEED!
Yes I kept 2 fresh run chum and smoked them both , most of it have been eaten by family in 3 days, very good, maybe it is my smoking ability. ;D