Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fraser chum run  (Read 11732 times)

bcguy

Re: fraser chum run
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »

there was 8 commercial boats between Fort Langley and the Stave. this morning I saw 3 at first light, they were gone on the ride home in the afternoon. maybe just a 24hr opening
Was out last night just outside of Fort Langley, and saw at least 3 commercial Boats.
I don't know, but it just feels disheartening to see, should this scale of netting be allowed on a river?
I am allowed Hatchery Coho as a sports fisherman, fair enough, lets do our best to perserve the wild population, but what does this commercial fishery do to the rest of the stocks (by catch)other than Chum, like wild Coho, and I would assume Thompson Steelies (could be wrong) but really? If you are not skilled enough to get them in the ocean with a net,,,(we condemn the guys long lining in a hole on the Veddar), but really...what does more lasting and seriously impacting damage? What is it with society that we seem to have so such difficultly putting things in perspective? Says Bob to his buddy..I NEVER BB for Sockeye on the Fraser..so unethical...says Bobs buddy..I know why cant they just buy a netted fish from Steveston or Superstore...so much more ethical (not trying to start a discussion on BB)...any one else here see the hypocrisy here? or maybe I am just off base regarding netting on Fraser this far up
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »

Was out last night just outside of Fort Langley, and saw at least 3 commercial Boats.
I don't know, but it just feels disheartening to see, should this scale of netting be allowed on a river?
I am allowed Hatchery Coho as a sports fisherman, fair enough, lets do our best to perserve the wild population, but what does this commercial fishery do to the rest of the stocks (by catch)other than Chum, like wild Coho, and I would assume Thompson Steelies (could be wrong) but really? If you are not skilled enough to get them in the ocean with a net,,,(we condemn the guys long lining in a hole on the Veddar), but really...what does more lasting and seriously impacting damage? What is it with society that we seem to have so such difficultly putting things in perspective? Says Bob to his buddy..I NEVER BB for Sockeye on the Fraser..so unethical...says Bobs buddy..I know why cant they just buy a netted fish from Steveston or Superstore...so much more ethical (not trying to start a discussion on BB)...any one else here see the hypocrisy here? or maybe I am just off base regarding netting on Fraser this far up
Got off topic so deleted it here may place it in a proper spot.
CG
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:38:32 PM by chris gadsden »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »

I know you derailing but I completely agree. Sorry to add to it Rodney...
always a student

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »

In the big picture it is way more efficient to net the river as the expenses would be far less and way more profitable than spending a week on the ocean. I do not like it either but in today's world profit seems to win over common sence.

fishman254

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

We fished the last 3 days, and I've NEVER seen that many First Nations activity on the Fraser this time of year, near the Harrison. They were making run after run back to their Harrison base camp with containers of fish. It's a good problem to have, though.
Not many coho seen on the Harrison, but tons of chums.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »

How many " food and ceremonial" fish can one family eat? 

If I'm not mistaken the native fishing going on is not considered "food and ceremonial" it's considered an "economical opportunity"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »

If I'm not mistaken the native fishing going on is not considered "food and ceremonial" it's considered an "economical opportunity"

That's correct. Fish caught in this fishery are to be sold.