Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is fishing really good as reported by Fred's  (Read 7252 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Is fishing really good as reported by Fred's
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »

While on the topic of leader length.....
I have personally started fishing with no leader in an effort to become a more ethical angler. Basically just float to weight and then attach the hook to a snap swivel, it feels good knowing that I am not flossing, or dipping, or ripping. However I've had a couple of instances now where people see my set up and call me a snagger because I have no leader ::)

Kjle

Re: Is fishing really good as reported by Fred's
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

Freds bases their reports on the anglers that come through the door and talk fishing, perhaps that is why some reports are a little suspect. I find that they are quite truthful about conditions and fishing action , in general.
Often one area of the river is not fishing well and another is on fire, that could be called "good fishing" if you were in the right area of river.

Perhaps those who are complaining about Freds reports should concentrate on learning run timings along with river levels graphs and follow weather closely.

I have come to realize over the years that every river gets numerous distinct pushes of each species, aside from the main push of fish that most are looking for.
An example of this is the Coho in the Vedder, you have the early run, the main push of fish and numerous late runs that are pretty much overlooked. These secondary runs of fish are not going to allow you to stand on your favorite rock as waves of coho roll by.

Exactly. I thought fishing was poor yesterday so I started wandering. I was getting pissed off with the crowds so I took a walk and found some nice peaceful water with no one else in sight. After about 90 minutes there I had landed 5 springs, 2 of which were very nice and silver.