Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: corkies for coho  (Read 17289 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: corkies for coho
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »

Anyway have not fished for 2 days so going out there armed with my best roe hoping for my first adult coho salmon of the year. When I do you will hear about it. ;D ;D

May I suggest you try a single plastic jensen egg (small)? Sometimes when short-floating roe doesn't work, a single egg imitation can save the day.
It worked for me yesterday, when I caught and bonked my first adult hatchery coho of the season - a picture perfect 8-pound chrome bar that also gave me some nice roe...for caviar. ;D

For the record: I was using a 30" leader and a n. 4 hook, which ended firmly embedded in the tip of the upper lip. It did take several hours of hard float drifting to get there tho.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:39:11 PM by milo »

Steelie1030

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »

Many years ago,I'm thinking mid-80's ,the go-to for the Chehalis bible camp run was a peach corky with a small tuft of peach wool. We would use the ones that were glow-in-the-dark type. For early early morning before it got too light we would use a camera flash to charge them up and then short-float them right down the middle in the faster water. It was amazing how well they worked for coho and the odd steelhead.The main problem was that the chum liked them as well. Brings back some terrific memories of getting to the river at 4am with a firelog to mark your spot as the weekends were really busy. In those days you could actually drive right out onto the bar. The river used to stink badly with the smell of rotting chums. All chums were catch and release only in those days

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »

...a peach corky with a small tuft of peach wool...

Awesome presentation for coho and steelhead in gin clear water conditions. I love it and use it all the time.  :)

I don't bother much with the glo ones anymore as I have given up on losing my beauty sleep to a pre-dawn race to a fishing spot.
I now fish gentleman's hours only. ;D

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

I was fishing the canal the other day with roe and I did not see my float go down even once. That was few hundreds of chums around too.

The guy beside me had corkie on and he was smacking them almost every casts.

Corkie works really well during steelhead fishing but I have not use that setup for many years.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:38 PM »

I didn't say wool would out fish jigs, just making the point that there are lots of different ways to catch fish outside of the FWR consensus of short floating roe and blades or jigs or you are a snagger. Coho hits lots of lures that don't really look exactly like something, how is a corky any different from a spoon? What does a jig look like? Who knows why they hit what they hit? Part of the fun is figuring it out and speculating. Is it always about catching the most amount of fish in the shortest amount of time? How many chum do you really need to hook before your arms drops off, if can you hook one every cast with a jig its not exactly challenging is it? Why not try something different, maybe you'll learn something.
Chum was just an example, I use them for all fish species. I have tried many different baits and like experimenting with different things but thats not what I was getting at. All I was refering to was wool in my experience does not outfish jigs, thats all. I use wool on occasion for picky fish and it does work, also if you add a corkie, I agree on that point.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »

Sorry Steely didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you, just can't understand why some people are unwilling to try other methods but quick to jump on someone asking about them. Under all conditions for all species I would take Corkies over Jigs personally.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

Anyway have not fished for 2 days so going out there armed with my best roe hoping for my first adult coho salmon of the year. When I do you will hear about it. ;D ;D

Chris, you gotta try spoons  ;D
Went out for my first 2 trips of the year on the Vedder and was into 8 coho. Roe only yielded a few bites for me and I eventually gave up and went back to spoons/spinners.

As for the corkies, I have used em for steelhead, and they can be deadly. The peach/orange combo ones have always been my fav.

Spin and glo's now those are deadly  ;) It's actually weird I've never tried them for coho. Kind of like an egg imitation and a spinner mixed. They are deadly for steelhead though, especially in pink... Might have to give them a try this week...

dave c

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

May I suggest you try a single plastic jensen egg (small)? Sometimes when short-floating roe doesn't work, a single egg imitation can save the day.
It worked for me yesterday, when I caught and bonked my first adult hatchery coho of the season - a picture perfect 8-pound chrome bar that also gave me some nice roe...for caviar. ;D

For the record: I was using a 30" leader and a n. 4 hook, which ended firmly embedded in the tip of the upper lip. It did take several hours of hard float drifting to get there tho.
Interesting:  Fished the Vedder yesterday.  Started off with Corkies wool, not much action, then to roe.....a couple of chums....saw guys nailing springs and coho with a couple of Jensen eggs....decided to try some....Best day on the river yet.....3 springs....2 wild coho....many chum.  The spring I kept was loaded with roe.  Just goes to show that like women fish can be fickle and change their minds on what they want in the blink of an eye.  Thanks again for all the support out there guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mko72

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »

This is how corkie can only be used. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iz3u5_djU

That guys looks like Chumlee from Pawn Stars.  Flossing for salmon and looks like Chumlee, looks like life sued him and he lost.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »

Chris, you gotta try spoons  ;D
Went out for my first 2 trips of the year on the Vedder and was into 8 coho. Roe only yielded a few bites for me and I eventually gave up and went back to spoons/spinners.

As for the corkies, I have used em for steelhead, and they can be deadly. The peach/orange combo ones have always been my fav.

Spin and glo's now those are deadly  ;) It's actually weird I've never tried them for coho. Kind of like an egg imitation and a spinner mixed. They are deadly for steelhead though, especially in pink... Might have to give them a try this week...
I like seeing the Maple Leaf Drennan going down and the challenge of hooking them. ;D