Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Como Lake Festival  (Read 7702 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Como Lake Festival
« on: May 19, 2004, 11:49:22 AM »

I am a sucker for event.... This morning, the organizer of Como Watershed Festival phoned me and somehow talked me into having another display set up at their event... It's on Sunday June 6th between 11am and 3pm. The event is right at Como Lake, so I am thinking about doing some kind of kids fishing/fly tying activities at the same time....

But, I need help to do this once again of course. A couple of fly tyers would be good... Trout Slayer is probably interested, I'll find out this afternoon. Maybe a couple of people who can rig up some rods for me for the kids to fish etc... Any ideas?

I need to know in the next day or two if people are interested. She needs a confirmation. Thanks.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Como Lake Festival
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:39:15 PM »

A couple of fly tyers would be good... Trout Slayer is probably interested, I'll find out this afternoon.

Will be there. ;D

d_w

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 07:45:15 PM »

ill be there if you need me :D
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 10:09:39 PM »

must say the dedication of the younger fisherman around here is impressive,
 good work guys ;D

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 06:13:14 PM »

Some one mentioned that quite often people arrive with kids but no tackle, some will loan out to give the kids a try, I was thinking maybe we could start a tackle donation for this event,I will throw in a light rod and spinning reel.

Sandy
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 08:53:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Sandy. FWR actually already has a pretty big tackle supply for these events (and they usually end up collecting dust in my storage room most of the time between events!). Redl Sport has been extremely generous in the past by supplying us fly tying material, rods and reels and various other terminal tackle for these events.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 11:59:13 PM »

Hey d_w, you're welcome to join us for this! I do need a couple more people. Trout Slayer, Nina and I are the only ones so far. Two fly tiers would be ideal, just ask trout slayer. :) A couple of people to lend us a hand to teach kids how to fish at the lake would be good too.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 02:13:19 AM »

Chrome Mykiss, Trout Slayer, DW, Nina and I will be there on Sunday. There'll be a fly tying workshop set up for any kid who wishes to tie a fly or two. We'll have a whole bunch of fishing rods for kids to use if they wish to fish.

Is anyone else going to come down during the festival to keep us entertained while we work? :) It should be a good one.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 06:35:19 PM »

A brief report of today's Como Lake Festival before I head out to work again.

Thank you for those who came out and joined us today. :) This was probably the best event so far this year. The Como Watershed Group put on a colourful, festive and educational show for all ages. It was extremely well done I thought. I liked the aquatic insect tub where everyone was staring at for hours to identify little critters. The band was a big attraction that drew a big crowd. For a small scale community event, this was certainly impressive. I even won a draw prize. I've never won draw prizes! I got myself a Quantum hat, some chocolate and some small animal on a boat thiny toy. ;D

We had the kids fly tying workshop going on again, and of course with the lovely fly instructors we had, we drew a big crowd. ;D

Thanks Trout Slayer, Chome Mykiss and D_W for helping out again. :)

It's a lovely lake indeed. I always thought Como Lake is a small industrial pond that has been abandoned and left to rot. Not so! The rising trout were making me itch, too bad it's age restricted. ;D Maybe I'll take my dad fishing there instead. :)