Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Supporter Of Don  (Read 10641 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Another Supporter Of Don
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:04:33 AM »

Thanks Chris, for posting that.

Some excellent points made in his article........   "My opinion is that, sadly, the top four problems for 10 species of salmonids are: fish farms, DFO, run of river power and global warming. The last we can do little about quickly, but the other three can be addressed today with policy decisions. The Cohen Commission into Fraser sockeye collapse reconvened in December 2011 to assess whether fish farm diseases kill wild salmon. Its report is due by Oct. 30.

I'll let you know what it says. Sport fishers should pat Staniford on the back - he has withstood being sued three times over the past decade by fish farms, though never successfully - because his bottom line is to stand with wild salmon in B.C. In fairness, I don't see that fish farms need to be eradicated - they need to be on land where their density-related disease amplification affects no other fish or species. I have found more than 8,000 actual on-land farms around the world, so there is no technological or economic impediment. We need wild salmon and so do 37 species of our wild animals like bears and eagles."

Sports fishermen should not be sitting on the fence with salmon feedlots. We all need to be more vocal in opposing them.

Yes, there are other issues with wild salmon survival, however like any problem, you need to tackle the most solvable issues first. Feedlots must be moved to land!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »

The way I understood this:
Basically this says that Mr Staniford's judgements are "prejudiced, exaggerated and obstinate" and "have no balance because balance does not exist in Mr. Staniford's world" ,
but the judge excused him because he is insane and belives what he is saying.

A small thought on the Cohen commission regarding the "missing sockeye".
I spoke recently to a well know individual in the fishing industry in BC and I asked him about the missing sockeye.
He said that they were missing if I believed they ever existed.
I think we have forgotten what the word "estimate" means.
A whole bunch of taxpayer money was spent on a wild goose chase that produced nothing.
The words "Commission" and "Inquiry" scare me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:10:10 AM by adriaticum »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »

Yes, there are other issues with wild salmon survival, however like any problem, you need to tackle the most solvable issues first. Feedlots must be moved to land!

af, would you invest in land based salmon farms in BC?
Would you advise your clients to do so?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43:01 AM »

I would not as I go and catch my own, time you did too. ;D ;D ;D

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »

Yes, why not.
I have one big question for salmon farm industry.
Why do they put their farms right in the path of juvenile and returning adult salmon?
Why don't they find locations, inlets, bays that have no salmon?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »

Yes, why not.
I have one big question for salmon farm industry.
Why do they put their farms right in the path of juvenile and returning adult salmon?
Why don't they find locations, inlets, bays that have no salmon?

It makes one wonder if some of them donot care about wild salmon. ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

Pretty good deflection there Chris ;D  I'm sure af is out enjoying the sun and will answer my questions soon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »

Pretty good deflection there Chris ;D  I'm sure af is out enjoying the sun and will answer my questions soon.
You get good at when you are in your 70th year. ::) ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »

I have excised five pages of relevant clauses from her ruling and you may find it on my blog, www.fishfarmnews. blogspot.com, which also contains the link to her 71-page ruling - really worth reading in its entirety

Here are some of the most relevant sections for those who do not have the time to read the entire ruling:

Immediately after posting the link to the actual ruling, Mr. Reid, like a good propagandist, helps his committed followers who seldom read a document from start to finish by providing his own filtered version.  What a nice guy.

I wonder why Mr. Reid did not mention #185 in his “excised” version of events.  We can see why he won the Art Downs Award now “for writing that is factual, accurate, well researched and focused on the real issues where governments, private or public companies need to be taken to task on environmental issues.”  LMFAO

I'll let you know what it says.

I am sure you will let us know what the final report says, Mr. Reid.  I cannot wait for more of that award-winning writing…lol.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »

Normally I charge a fee for giving financial advice, Dave.....   but because you're such a nice guy...... ;D

I wouldn't invest in land based salmon farming in BC nor would I advise my clients to do so. Most of my clients are quite conservative thinking and I don't recommend small companies or start ups as part of their portfolio. In general salmon feedlots whether ocean or land based are not a good investment, as their risk profile is high.

I wouldn't recommend that they invest in tobacco companies either....

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »

Normally I charge a fee for giving financial advice, Dave.....   but because you're such a nice guy...... ;D

I wouldn't invest in land based salmon farming in BC nor would I advise my clients to do so. Most of my clients are quite conservative thinking and I don't recommend small companies or start ups as part of their portfolio. In general salmon feedlots whether ocean or land based are not a good investment, as their risk profile is high.
Thanks af.  Interesting that although you insist on moving them on land, you consider them a poor investment.   I guess that in a nutshell is why we won't see them any time soon.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »

Let's be clear Dave. This isn't a discussion about the investment value of a salmon feedlot.  This is a discussion about the damage the feedlots are doing to our wild salmon......

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »

Always has been :D  and as usual we agree to disagree

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »