Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dec hogan 8 wt head selection  (Read 2792 times)

kalex60

dec hogan 8 wt head selection
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

just wondering what everyone sets their dh with for a head i use a 625 skagit and it feels a little heavy

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: dec hogan 8 wt head selection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »

That's on he heavy end of the scale for that rod. I have a 13'6 echo classic and it likes a 575 skagit flight, but that loads it into the cork. Its about personal preference and if it feels too heavy to you try something lighter. You could also try slowing down your stroke a bit, especially if you are used to a quicker / tippier switch rod. Did I sell you the 3.5 Seldex? I am back in Vancouver next week and you can borrow my flight to try if you want.
Cheers,
Nick

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »

what length is the rod ?

I fish a 510 Airflo compact or an SA extreme 520 on my 12'7" 7/8wt spey. I would be fishing the SA but my dad borrowed it to try out and refuses to give it back now because he likes it WAY more than the Rio Flight(525) he was using on his 8126

ok i did a quick google search

is your rod the Echo DH 13'3" 8wt ? if so it says the grain window is 540-660 for that rod.

OR

is your rod the Flylogic Dec Hogan signature series 1308 rod ? all i could find is lines in the 7/8/9 wt ranges perform the best which should put you in the 550grain area + or - to the way you like if of course.

I tried out a 540 on my same rod and even though it cast great it felt heavy when i really got a perfect cast and would go out a bit clunky, tried out a 510 and 480. 480 didnt want to perform sustained anchors very well but did airborne casts wonderfully. the 510 did them all with ease and didnt crash when it laid upon the water  ;D

go into an ACTUAL fly fishing store and ask if they sign out shooting heads. get a few and hit some water close-by and test them all out. buy the one that feels the best. i did this when i had my switch rod, i probably tested several grain weights from a few different companies to find the fit i wanted.

this is all part of the fun of the two handed game.............Enjoy  8)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »

Echo (T Rajef) recommendations:

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/pdf/speylinechart.pdf

Rio (Simon Gawesworth) recomendations:

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/2013_RIO_Spey_Line_Recs.pdf

find your rod make and model and consult the chart on the type of line and cast.

Echo recommends a 600 grain Airflo Skagit compact, Rio a 550 Rio Skagit.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.