Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: centerpin rod  (Read 10488 times)

mr.bean

centerpin rod
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:45:14 PM »

i was wondering if i could get some advice from  you guys.  inever  used a centerpin rod before. i am looking for a rod i can use for cohos, steelies and springs   on the vedder.   does this make any sense ?  mainline 20 lbs and leader for coho and steelhead 10 lbs and 12 for springs.   i am looking at a loomis rod rated up to 20 lbs and  a winterrun reel or mabe a islander steelhead reel ? thanks harry

Brian the fisherman

Re: centerpin rod
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »

I use a john milner bushing CP
with a Shamano convergence medium action. landed several 25+ pound springs with 15lb maxima main line and 12 lb seaguar floro leader.

I think the islander is a good starter but the really nice milner is only 50$ ish more.

Never been steered wrong by my convergence. landed man steel coho and spring and chum on this set up and it is very reliable
Tight lines to all

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »

I have to say, I like the Islander Steelheader a lot better than the Kingfisher. I have big hands and the Kingfisher just seems kind of small for some reason. I have heard the Winterrun is and OK reel, but have heard a few negative things about it, looks pretty nice tho. An Okuma Aventa is a good start up reel, but it's slow spinning, especially when it's colder.

As for a rod, a Loomis is what I'm looking at for my next rod, but for now I have 2 Fenwick HMX's (older and new model) and have fished a Trophy XL and it's a pretty good rod. I liked the older HMX a lot more than the new one. New one just doesn't look appealing and the cork is a lot fatter.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »

I use a john milner bushing CP
with a Shamano convergence medium action. landed several 25+ pound springs with 15lb maxima main line and 12 lb seaguar floro leader.

I think the islander is a good starter but the really nice milner is only 50$ ish more.

Never been steered wrong by my convergence. landed man steel coho and spring and chum on this set up and it is very reliable

If you hold the rod a above the reel you'll be holding onto the real seat threads all day. (down locking)
Many fisherman drift with there hand below the reel drifting but when you play a fish you're holding onto the reel seat.
If you can get over that they're a great rod I'm sure as lots of guys like them and very affordable

Pin-nook

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »

Being a long time lurker on this site I have noticed these threads pop up every season and I sit back and watch all the replies that get posted. Everyone is different that's for sure and no one is absolutely right so in saying this, ask yourself how much am I going to be using this setup?  Personally I prefer to use CPs but I can tell you that baitcasters are more versatile and can be use in more situations.

How serious of a fisherman are you? What is your budget? I can tell you that you will end up spending more money in the long run if you start out cheap. Do the research and figure out for youself what feels good for you because people can tell you things that may not suit you because everyone has their own favorites and what they are comfortable with.

I've seen similar posts like this from last season and seen that the CP combos they have chosen have already made it to the buy/sell section so if you are investing in a new setup then you should do the research yourself. You might not even like it in the end!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:23 AM »

Actually, the milner kingfishers are a better starter cp reel than the Islander.  I had the Islander before.  Nice smooth reel, good quality but due to the heavier spool, needed more weight and more startup to cast the thing properly.  Going back and forth between the Islander and a baitcaster was a major cluster you know what.  The milner bushing reels require less startup and less weight to cast.  Just a few split shot and I am casting almost as far as my baitcasters.  No problem switching back and forth between the CP and baitcasters.  IMHO a much better buy.

Carich980

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »

Milner Bushing Kingfisher / Sage 2106LB

It took me a few days trial and error to get the casting down. But this is my Favorite way to fish now next to Spey. What I love most about having the Cp Setup is being able to swap Reels and use it as a switch rod. When I'm out for a long day I often get bored with starring at a float and this allows me to only have to carry one rod.  :)

SS Fintastic

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »

i was wondering if i could get some advice from  you guys.  inever  used a centerpin rod before. i am looking for a rod i can use for cohos, steelies and springs   on the vedder.   does this make any sense ?  mainline 20 lbs and leader for coho and steelhead 10 lbs and 12 for springs.   i am looking at a loomis rod rated up to 20 lbs and  a winterrun reel or mabe a islander steelhead reel ? thanks harry

What is your budget?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »

Check the buy and sell forum. Some dude is selling an HMX Centerpin rod.
These are good rods, strong (for chinook) yet sensitive ( for coho)

mr.bean

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »

i dont mind spending the money, if i can get  a better product. just wondering if a sage , which is double the cost of a loomis  is really that much better ?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »

I have been fishing a gl2 for a few seasons. Great rod my only complaint is the top guides are single foot as most loomis rods are. (east coast thing) Ripped a guide off bushwhacking last season but I guess that could happen with any rod.
Can't comment on the sage gear rod for another week or so. (my 3113lb should be ready for pick up from builder this weekend.. Soooo excited!!)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »

I had a Sage 2106b built into a center pin almost 2 years ago and it is by far the best rod that I have used. I have it paired with a Milner Kingfisher bushing reel. I do have an Islander as well but it now sits in the closet collecting dust with a Shimano convergance cp rod. Both I am sure will never see the water unless something horrible happens.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Electroman

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »

I started with the convergence and have recently picked up a sage 3113mb and haven't touched the shimano since. If the money isn't an option treat yourself to a nice rod.
It's fishing right? Your going to enjoy the pin.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »

Ill add to my earlier post, i have a convergence. but that was because i'm on a tight budget right now. ill be upgrading to a Loomis asap
Tight lines to all

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »

I think the 3113 is worth the money.  Its beefier than the 2106, longer, and more in the line class you referenced (20lb main).  I have never fished a loomis but I can tell you my 3113 with 4 lb lead managed a 12 lb summer on the chehalis and is still more than capable of jumping up to 15 leader and putting the gears to a big ole whitey.

Its a great rod and its is a pleasure to use on anything from a small cap coho to a big spring. 

If money isnt an issue, id say islander or milner with a 3113.  that outfit will give you outstanding performance.