Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hi ppl i wanna get a baitcaster  (Read 6147 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: hi ppl i wanna get a baitcaster
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »

I use the Curado 301E left handed the righty is the 300. Its a work horse and can take abuse. I have 275 yards of Power Pro on mine (30lb). The drag system is super smooth. Ive been told by other fishers that it is to light of a reel but have yet to be proven wrong.

Too light of a reel? maybe for sturgeon ;)   I prefer smaller reels too, I use an even smaller Calcutta 200 as an all-rounder and it has landed all manner of fish without too much problem. If I was specifically targetting big springs, I go a size up but having much lighter and easier handling reel makes a days fishing much more enjoyable, IMHO

I've got an entry level Shimano reel - the Corvalus 400. I'm actually new to bait-casting reels so I don't know if it's me or the reel but I've been having a heck of a time with birds nests! ??? I've just read on another thread that this may be because there is too much line so I'm going to try taking some off and see if that improves the ratio of good/bad casts for me

I think that other thread is referring to spinning reels, so may not be relevant to your case. Where in your cast are you getting backlash? Use your thumb more to control to freespool throughout the cast and tighten up the cast control setting to help prevent over-runs. You'll lose a bit of distance at first until you get used to it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:06:13 PM by DanL »

Bandit420

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 12:00:14 PM »

Look into a Shimano Cardiff. They are reasonabley inexpensive and are solid reels. I have a cardiff 301 and love it
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Matt Nash

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »

Too light of a reel? maybe for sturgeon ;)

I think that other thread is referring to spinning reels, so may not be relevant to your case. Where in your cast are you getting backlash? Use your thumb more to control to freespool throughout the cast and tighten up the cast control setting to help prevent over-runs. You'll lose a bit of distance at first until you get used to it.

Thanks for this - you're right, I've posted in the wrong section. As far as your question and comment, I'm getting backlash almost every time I cast with little or no weight. When I have a heavy enough spoon or have a properly weighted rig it seems to be fine. In the first instance, I start getting backlash/birdsnest when the spoon is about halfway between me and the water.

I guess it's as you say and I just need more practice with my thumbs. The problem has been distance, as I can't seem to get it out very far unless I back my thumb right off. Of course, that's when the over-run happens. Ergh! Sounds like I need to go out and practice.

Thanks again for the advice.

Matt

salmonlover

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

Thanks for this - you're right, I've posted in the wrong section. As far as your question and comment, I'm getting backlash almost every time I cast with little or no weight. When I have a heavy enough spoon or have a properly weighted rig it seems to be fine. In the first instance, I start getting backlash/birdsnest when the spoon is about halfway between me and the water.

I guess it's as you say and I just need more practice with my thumbs. The problem has been distance, as I can't seem to get it out very far unless I back my thumb right off. Of course, that's when the over-run happens. Ergh! Sounds like I need to go out and practice.

Thanks again for the advice.

Matt

just tighten your drag. you're drag could be really loose, and if you're not use to casting these reels you can get a backlash real easy. Just tighten you're drag to the point where your rig just falls. Should help you out quite a bit. helped me when first learning how to cast these kind of reels. Once you've mastered casting you can set your drag as loose as you want and cast effortlessly for distance.

jump14

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »

Is it not the "cast control" and not "drag" he'd need to tighten? If it was the drag he'd tighten, it'd do nothing in free spool mode, if he'd tighten the cast control, that'd control the spool which would then let the right barely fall as you state.

salmonlover

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »

Is it not the "cast control" and not "drag" he'd need to tighten? If it was the drag he'd tighten, it'd do nothing in free spool mode, if he'd tighten the cast control, that'd control the spool which would then let the right barely fall as you state.

just thought it was obvious he knew i was talking about the tension knob for the spool. as setting the drag for the breaking system doesnt cause birds nest or have anything to do with the cast.

set your tension on the spool where the weight just barely falls, and you be casting like a pro in no time

happy? ;D

Matt Nash

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »

Thanks Jump and Salmon,

Appreciate the help - I did know what you were talking about but it never hurts to clarify.

chironomidking

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »

I have a Shimano Cardiff that I can let you have for a good price.  It's a 400A.  4-5 yrs old and maintained yearly by Mike's in Abby.

Let me know if you are interested.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:16:32 PM by chironomidking »

koifish

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »

witch model is it? thanks

chironomidking

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »

witch model is it? thanks

400A  (Right Hand).  $50 and it's sold or $40 and a secret fishing spot.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

I use a shimano curado, the low profile reels are perfect. The curado series I believe have just lowered the price, last I checked you can pick up a low end model for 150.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »

I love using low profile reels for smaller rivers, but now that I fish a CP unless I'm fly fishing, I only use them for throwing spoons and spinners. Abu Garcia makes a few OK ones for a good price, but Shimano has some really good low profile reels. I like a lower gear ratio because I don't like slow retrieves. If jigging a spoon (or swinging it) or a curly tail, low profile reel allow me to retrieve and jig with my index finger and fish with one hand most of the run. Also allowes me to have better casting and line control, doesn't take as much a toll on your arm as biggest bait casters.
For larger baitcasters, I own 2 Luna 300's, great reels, but now that I do not fish the Fraser they just collect dust. I only use them for bar fishing occasionally, but there are far better rivers to catch springs with no crowds. Smooth casting but you get tired casting them a lot, especially bottom bouncing.