Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River parking and access update  (Read 12769 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River parking and access update
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »

Wait, the original post was about the east side of the river... Are we talking about that in regards to this disturbance topic? Becuase I dont know where you people are parking, but where I do, I am a half a kilometer from any residential property... If my car door shutting bothers someone a half a kilometer away, well I just dont know what to say. If you guys are talking about the WEST side of the river, then that is a whole different ball game, and I dont know that side of the river very well.
On the west side, you can't park legally within 1/2 km of people of people houses either, so I find those people complaining about somebody that far a way a bit nonsensical.
There are a few people that do illegally park and they are quite a bit a closer to the fishing areas.

samw

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »

That's not what I am surprised about.

My opinion is that fishermen's behaviors (collectively) are generally going to be consistent throughout each river whether it is Stave, Campbell River, Vedder, Capilano, Squamish, etc.   People who litter in one system are the same people who litter in others.  People who abuse resources in one system are the same people who do so in others.  I don't believe that anglers are specifically targetting Stave River for bad behavior.  That's why if I were to buy a house near a river, I do expect fishermen to be on it and expect the typical behavior that goes along with it (which are not all bad.  they are diverse) and it goes without saying that rivers closer to urban areas or have good access will probably have more anglers on them.  So it brings up the possibility that the motives of these complaints may be similar to those complaints brought up by those who bought property near the nice beaches in Howe Sound where there are anglers.  I don't really see anything out of the ordinary at Stave.  Its not like people are camping overnight, lighting campfires, getting drunk, partying, group singing around camp etc.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:56:28 PM by samw »

Derek Mcl

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »

I don't think that it is too much to ask that you try to be quiet while walking past peoples' residences.  I don't buy the fear of bears rationale.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »

I don't think that it is too much to ask that you try to be quiet while walking past peoples' residences.  I don't buy the fear of bears rationale.

Big difference between fearing, and being aware and cautious. Especially when you have first hand reports of multiple people who have seen sows with cubs within a km of you.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

bcguy

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

Typical attitude, I remember a couple of yeas ago going hiking up yo the Lions and having to deal with some irate home owners in Lions Bay who didn't think anyone should be able to park by the head of the trail.

....I bought this house next to a prison, but now I don't think the prison should be there ...I feel so threatened and victimized  ;)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Stave52

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »

I live on the west side of the stave river and as far as I know theres  no complaints about noise as people get up at all hours of the morning to go to work the same as anywhere else.

To the best of my knowledge the original complaint was parking on the side of the street  which local people  use to walk  as the white line is the only side of the street where you can walk safely. Vehicles including large dump trucks  fly down 287' th until they get to the dam  near the hill  as most of you know this is not a very wide street.

Litter may be the other issue but it is rather small compared to the people who  stop at night to dump  everthing from appliances, matresses and complete bags of house hold garbage in the middile of the night.   I'm sure this  is not the anglers as this happens all year long but any amount of added litter  adds to the problem. 

The construction to upgrade the dam is what it is   it affects  everybody  not just the anglers.

As for the stocking of Coho in the Stave  I believe  its still the same as the fisheries were there  on Wednesday with  pens holding fish. As far as I know  they only stopped stocking chum but maybe  Rod would be able to clarify this .

It's going to be a long six years I hope everyone can be patient until its completed.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »

Yes fisheries netted the river on Wednesday, but I was told they would stop stocking it not next year, but the year after.

And if that is the only complaint you know of, then thats a few years old i believe.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!