Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting problems  (Read 8014 times)

EZ_Rolling

Re: Casting problems
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »

Your reel was spooled incorrectly only solution I know of is go to a field and tie your line o to something with a very good swivel and back away till you are out of line then crank the drag and walk forward if your lucky this will work if not respool properly there is lots of of Info on this on u tube.

Good luck

deepcovehooker

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 08:13:53 PM »

I would agree to much line and also a little heavy for the reel.

4x4

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

Three typical problems for this happening are:
1) to much line on the spool.
2) stiff line.
3) line is spooled on to tight. Which is quite easy to do.

I spooled 2 spinning reels yesterday. One with original Stren 10# and one with Trilene 8#.
After getting the line on the reel , flip the bale and see if your line jumps off the spool. It most likely will. Let the line come off the reel until it stops. Pull off another 10 yards and reel back on the spool while holding the line with medium pressure (at most) through your finger tips. Do this a few times.

Hardly ever have a problem after using this method.

Good luck.

Fillibert

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »

don't forget that instead of respooling your whole reel with new line you can unspool lets say half and save it by spooling it onto a spare anything... then use an albright knot and spool on anything else like 12 pound line. That way you will have good backing, you will have a visual cue as to when the fish takes out too much line and you won't have to waste a whole spool of new line. So if you buy 150 yards take off 50 yards of 20p from reel and spool on 75 12p leaving you with enough line to respool for next season.

Polaris

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »

What casting distance would you consider normal for a 10', 2 3/4oz rod casting that exact weight with a 2 ball bearing spinning real (Shimano Sports Power 6*) with a monofilament line if:
a) rod = fiber glass and line = 20lb?
b) rod = fiber glass and line = 12lb?
c) rod = carbon fiber and line = 12lb?

* The above reel seems to be in a good condition.  Is lubricated and spins fine (it is a 30 year old model but got almost no use).

fish fishburn

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 07:23:45 AM »

The best way to fix this problem is to go down to the flow and find a spot where you can let all the line out without anything on the line. Let the current take all the line off and just leave it for about five minutes. The current will take the twist out and then reel it back in between your fingers applying a bit of pressure. Hold the line just before the stripper guide when reeling back in. I gaurentee this will solve the problem. If the line still falls off the spool when the bale is opened you have to much line on it. There should be 1/8 inch from the line to the leading edge of the spool. Just remember dont put anything on the end of the line not even a micro swivel. The faster the current this faster the twist will come out of the line.

buzzbomb

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »

Check the side of the spool to see what your reel's rated for.  If 20 lb is on the high end, you just have too heavy a line.  If the middle range is 12 - 15 lb scaling your line down will make a world of difference.  You can try walking it out and reloading, but I think it will still fly off.  I use reels that take 300 yds + of 12 lb mono and I've found that spooling very close to the lip gets me extra distance, and wetting the spool with a sponge or something before opening the bail keeps line from falling off and helps it pass through the guides, gaining a little more distance.  12 lb casts further than 14, it all depends on what you're fishing for.  A 10' med action rod, (my old Wonderod!) throwing 2 3/4 oz with 12 lb line goes maybe 75 or 80 yds on a good day, 14 or 15 lb may be more appropriate depending on your quarry or snags.
5% Alc./Vol.

Matt Nash

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »

Over spool for sure, get rid of some line and it should be fine.

Ha! I'm having the same problem with a new Shimano Corvalus reel. The mechanical drag is set right and for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out why I keep getting birds-nests on every 2nd or third cast. The only other way I've been able to eliminate the issue is by putting 4-5 oz of weight on. While this has been fine for float/bait fishing it has been wreaking havoc on my spoons! Thanks for the tip!

Matt Nash

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »

Ha! I'm having the same problem with a new Shimano Corvalus reel. The mechanical drag is set right and for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out why I keep getting birds-nests on every 2nd or third cast. The only other way I've been able to eliminate the issue is by putting 4-5 oz of weight on. While this has been fine for float/bait fishing it has been wreaking havoc on my spoons! Thanks for the tip!

Edit - I'm using a bait-casting reel rather than a spincaster...wonder if it will fix the problem. I'll have to go out and try it today. Thanks again.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »

You need to have the spin adjustment set very loose to get maximum casting distance with a baitcaster.
Just jam the spool with your thumb to stop it when you hear your gear hit the water and you won't over spin & birdnest.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »

--this is all great advise... but if none of it works.... switch outfits with an experienced buddy and cast each others rigs.... just in case it is you and not the rig.
--make sure it is an understanding buddy and at a demo rather than on a fishing outing... just in case you end up with a birds nest in your buddies rig... they must have a good sense of humor.

Polaris

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »

Thank's for all the advice (overfill and line strength, etc.).  Now on a somewhat diff note, with all other things being equal, I understand that a heavier weight (within reason) - will cast further.  If my 10' fiber glass rod is rated as 2 3/4 oz, would using a 3 or 4 oz weight produce longer casts?  How heavy can I go without damaging the rod?

rickjames_2

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 11:24:15 PM »

Thank's for all the advice (overfill and line strength, etc.).  Now on a somewhat diff note, with all other things being equal, I understand that a heavier weight (within reason) - will cast further.  If my 10' fiber glass rod is rated as 2 3/4 oz, would using a 3 or 4 oz weight produce longer casts?  How heavy can I go without damaging the rod?
Can you list the specific rod, it would help in answering. I would place money on the rod being fine throwing 4oz weights. Though the rod is just straight up fibreglass?
Also, I assume you are bottom bouncing then,with 4oz weights, correct?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Copper Koski

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »

don't forget that instead of respooling your whole reel with new line you can unspool lets say half and save it by spooling it onto a spare anything... then use an albright knot and spool on anything else like 12 pound line. That way you will have good backing, you will have a visual cue as to when the fish takes out too much line and you won't have to waste a whole spool of new line. So if you buy 150 yards take off 50 yards of 20p from reel and spool on 75 12p leaving you with enough line to respool for next season.

Splices are never a good idea. Unless you have an oversized reel and are just trying to fill some space.  I wouldn't recommend this IMO.

Polaris

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »

rickjames_2:

I can't really add much more factual info about the rod.  All I can say is that it was bought in a fishing store in Richmond way back in early '80's and all it says on it (in addition to 10', 2 3/4oz) is: "Spinning - Glass Fibre.  'Fibatube' England, 'Steelhead' ".  Nothing else about line rating or anything.  As for my preferred method, I wasn't planing on bottom bouncing but rather fishing under float or parking a bar rig on the bottom.

Also, if casting a bar rig, would a pendulum cast be a good technique or would it just tangle things up?