Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My wet flies dont sink  (Read 8359 times)

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
Re: My wet flies dont sink
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »

A buddy of mine used some dry fly floatant on a fly or two and put them in his fly box mixed in with his other flies (including wet flies). Pretty much all his flies floated like a cork.   

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »

Most of the suggestions so far will make a leech or bugger sink, but a muddler is tied with deer hair which naturally floats (it is like trying to get a tom thumb to sink).  If you are not tying your muddler with a bead head, then use a sink tip, as only the sparsest of muddlers tied onto a heavy wire hook would sink on its own.
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »

Muddlers will sink if the deer hair is well soaked! An old trick was to put them in a small container filled with water an hour or so before fishing. Simply putting the fly in water and pressing the deer hair with your finger tips a time or 2 will help them get under the surface.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »

Muddlers will sink if the deer hair is well soaked! An old trick was to put them in a small container filled with water an hour or so before fishing. Simply putting the fly in water and pressing the deer hair with your finger tips a time or 2 will help them get under the surface.

Yeah, that will usually get them to sink under the film, but as soon as you begin stripping they float right back up and create a wake on the surface (which can be good, depending on the fish you are targeting).
Not all those who wander are lost