Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishers vs. Trollers  (Read 3526 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Fly fishers vs. Trollers
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »

What is your opinion.  My buddy and I headed out to West Van in a boat early this morning.  We left the launch when it was dark enough that we needed our navigation lights on.  We arrived to the pink apartments early, and well before the masses.  We dropped anchor and began fly fishing.  We were pretty close to shore sitting in about 25 feet of water.  As the day got busier we noticed that more and more boats were driving really close to us.  It was a real piss off.  These useless scum bags feel it is there god given right to cruise wherever the hell they want even if it means driving within 30 feet of our boat as we are trying to fly fish.  Many times we had boats on both sides of us.  I'm not asking for a 100 foot buffer around my boat when I'm out on the water but I feel like some people look at a fly fisher and think we are in the way.  It's really frustrating.  Myself, I occasionally troll too, but would never in a million years intentionally drive over someones fly line.  One fat douche bag says to me "you better strip your line in" as he is cutting in between 3 of us anchored.  I can't remember what I said to him, but he tells us we are in a trolling lane and then says don't make me come over there.  I understand if there were 10 boats anchored in front of a popular location like the mouth of the cap, it would cause some problems for the 100 boats that like to troll, but when it's 3 guys anchored and trying to fly fish it is very frustrating especially since we are off in our own little area.  I know it is a busy time of year.  I know it is a busy stretch of shore.  I know some people are oblivious and don't realize what they're doing, but this rant isn't about that.  This is about the fact that there seems to be a disregard for anchored boaters out on the ocean.  Who has the right of way?

Oh, and to cap things off.  We managed to land 5 Coho, and lost another 5 so in the end it was a good day, but most of the morning was very stressful. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Fly fishers vs. Trollers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »

Not sure what the problem is here because back in the day of live Herring,that area was littered with boaters anchored.
Im guessing they seen you having some luck and thought they better come over to the hot spot.lol

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:51:55 PM »

Actually we weren't having any luck at this spot.  We didn't land a single fish there.  I think the fish are tight lipped due to the massive amount of trollers.  We went to another spot where no one trolls and this is where we landed all the fish.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Drewhill

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »

It's like road rage except boat rage. Everyone is tougher when they know the other person can't get to him. I'm sure if you went after him he would have taken off pretty quickly.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:44 AM »

I avoid that area this time of year. go to Paul lake and enjoy your fly fishing. leave the ocean to the big boys.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »

I avoid that area this time of year. go to Paul lake and enjoy your fly fishing. leave the ocean to the big boys.

They have every right to be there and fish how they see fit.  "leave it to the big boys?" is that a joke or something.
 I would like to see people just respect others.  I am sick of people that feel so entitled. No one owns the ocean or any spot for trolling.  It is first come first serve.
Tight lines to all

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »

Some people avoid situations others put themselves in the middle of it.

You have every right to be there, but you parked in the busiest place.

Sounds like fun

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »

As I see it, they did you a favour.
You were forced to move out of an unproductive spot and you found a quiet productive one where you slayed them.

As a general rule, avoid popular trolling lanes and always (ALWAYS!) expect that there will be disrespectful idiots who will pass by too close for comfort. Happens on lakes all the time. That is why I stopped anchoring in a way that people can pass between my boat and the shore. They have to go around on the outside.

Best approach is to ignore them...it is fishing, after all; if you are going to let it stress you out, take up a different hobby.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:27:38 PM by milo »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »

Trolling lane?
Goes right through the mooching lane.lol

Spooner

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:41 AM »

Bring a level wind with  a Buzz Bomb on the end ,start casting towards him on his next pass .
 ;)Then see how close he gets, LOL
Sounds like he was just another bully

work2fish

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »

I'm not sure if this is correct, but according to this:
http://www.sacdelta.com/safety/rules.html#anchor408144

"Fishing Vessel Right-of-Way

All vessels which are fishing with nets, lines or trawls are considered to be "fishing vessels" under the International Rules. Vessels with trolling lines are not considered fishing vessels. Fishing vessels have the right-of-way regardless of position. Fishing vessels cannot, however, impede the passage of other vessels in narrow channels."

...but who's going to enforce the rules? 

Technically you could anchor and fish in the middle of a lake like kakawa where everyone water-skis and you'd have the right of way.  You'd also get run over constantly by ignorant water-skiers that think you're in the wrong. 

Sometimes it's just easier to avoid the idiots who think they own the water all together, even if technically your in the right.  It's comparable to the vedder on the weekends, if you don't want to deal with idiots, it's sometimes easier to just avoid them altogether.  Even if you get to that special meat hole at 4am, chances are some idiot is going to show up 3 hours later and park right on top of you, and may even have the gaul to try to chase you from "their spot", or get so close to you that you have to watch where you swing your rod so you don't hit them.  You can either fight them, avoid them or ignore them.