Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: couple questions  (Read 7201 times)

mko72

Re: Answering fishforthought's questions about Mike's glo scents and blue wool
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »

Yeah right on.  Well thought out, well spoken, very helpful.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »

I frequently found people who use blue wool get most of their fish by the belly.

Drewhill

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »

I've heard the same about blue jensen eggs but have never seen anyone catch a coho using one.

fishforthought

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 09:52:51 PM »

thanks alot for typing all of that out. it was very helpful :)

FishingKing

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »

I've heard the same about blue jensen eggs but have never seen anyone catch a coho using one.

hmm blue jensen eggs... I never knew they existed. I still think natural looking bait works best, red,orange peach etc you may catch one on blue but probably not as often.

FishingKing

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »

or the one you catch on blue is flossed hahah :P

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »

If your short floating with a 12-24 inch leader catching fish your most likely not lining the fish. A small piece of wool replicating an egg is a legitimate artificial that will work, especially in low clear water conditions.

Some of us do not like using smelly messy bait. I am one of them. If that means not catching as many fish than I am fine by that. Once their are more fish in the systems everyone will be catching fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »

Using wool is the closest to 'matching the hatch' in gear fishing for salmon in rivers. We must remember that salmon don't actively feed in fresh water, so their bites are essentially out of aggression, trying to destroy competitors' eggs. You figure what species of salmon/trout is in the system, what size their eggs are, how long have those eggs been in the water, would the eggs still be translucent or milky...and based on that you pick your wool colour and size of the tuft. If your tuft is bigger than your pinky finger nail, you are not imitating a trout/salmon egg.

Interesting to note how the different species can be triggered by the different colours. Springs and chums can be had on all kinds of oddball wool colours, including green, blue, chartreuse, purple etc. Coho on the other hand, dont seem to respond consistently outside of the 'natural' shades. In context to what Milo wrote, if cohos are reacting in an evolutionary tactic to eliminate potential competitors, then presumably the springs and chum are reacting in a more territorial strategy where their aggression is triggered by something they don't like invading their personal space.

Though cohos can be taken by spinners, jigs, etc. where the blue/green colours can be very effective, in which case I guess they are hitting because of their baitfish prey/predator instincts even though they are not actively feeding in freshwater. If you are are going to go after coho with the egg-mimicry route, then I'd definitely agree to stick with the natural shades.

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: couple questions
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »

Ban bottom bouncing, use of long leaders and now the use of wool. What's next ? ;)

Ban fishing if the animal rights folks get their way.  ;) ;D

Bandit420

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »

Just like milo said, wool is a great bait and I enjoy mixing wools to make the perfect little egg imitation. Pink and white wool the size of your pinky nail (like said above) is deadly short floating for steelies.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

FishingKing

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »

Wool works great for me, of course roe is better but wool works just fine if you present it properly.