Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 18th 2012  (Read 5293 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 18th 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »

Don't worry about what others have to say as long as it's not illegal. If you concern youreslf what others are going to say, you're not going to do much fishing. Some people will always criticize whether it be your tackle, method of fishing, bait, colour of your raincoat etc. etc.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »

I saw on Sportfishing on the fly not long ago and they were fishing on the Skeena for Coho and Springs; these guys were weighing down their leader with three or four split shots depending on the current conditions and using a six foot leader tied to a fly and the Cohos were pounding them. I wanted to try this on the Vedder but fear that people might think that I am BBing and give me heck.

What are your thoughts fellas?

on those episodes on the skeena, they are using slinkies and bottom bouncing with flies, they are flossing and snagging them and its painfully hilarious
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »

I saw on Sportfishing on the fly not long ago and they were fishing on the Skeena for Coho and Springs; these guys were weighing down their leader with three or four split shots depending on the current conditions and using a six foot leader tied to a fly and the Cohos were pounding them. I wanted to try this on the Vedder but fear that people might think that I am BBing and give me heck.

As long as you are using a fly rod, you are OK.  ;D

But in all seriousness, that method you describe is called chuck and duck, as there is no such thing as a controlled back cast with several splitshots on your leader.
When distance doesn't matter, it is a deadly fly fishing method, as it gets the fly in the zone in no time. Use it without hesitation.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »

Few years back, i saw 4 flyfishermen were using 3 inches of pencil lead and long leader to catch coho and springs,so is it right or wrong ::)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »

on those episodes on the skeena, they are using slinkies and bottom bouncing with flies, they are flossing and snagging them and its painfully hilarious

What he said is true. Its a black mark on an otherwise great show.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=36551

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?s=&showtopic=36136&view=findpost&p=426469
Checked this discussion well the first page. ::)

If they want to know if they floss them all they have to do just check the hook placement as 90% of the time they are caught in the hinge, so simple but I guess they are afraid to look. ;D ;D

Off to the "Blue Cup" for some short floating. :D :D ;D

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »

I'm not dissing wool.. not any other artificials. i tie my own flies and use wool my self when anything else i am using isn't working.
I was simply implying to the people who dress a hook and chuck a very long leader that there are other options and methods to try..
sorry for the sarcasm.
Tight lines to all

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

Don't worry about what others have to say as long as it's not illegal. If you concern youreslf what others are going to say, you're not going to do much fishing. Some people will always criticize whether it be your tackle, method of fishing, bait, colour of your raincoat etc. etc.

^^^I call absolute BS on this. 

You SHOULD worry about things even if they're legal.  USE YOUR MORAL JUDGEMENT AND ETHICS.

Do you feel what your'e doing is ethical?  Can you sleep at night doing what you're doing?  Then good for you, go ahead.

If you answered NO to either of the above questions, then take another look at your motivations and maybe reconsider.

Happy fishing and good luck!
:)
Tex

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »

^^^I call absolute BS on this. 

You SHOULD worry about things even if they're legal.  USE YOUR MORAL JUDGEMENT AND ETHICS.

Do you feel what your'e doing is ethical?  Can you sleep at night doing what you're doing?  Then good for you, go ahead.

If you answered NO to either of the above questions, then take another look at your motivations and maybe reconsider.

Happy fishing and good luck!
:)
Tex

What fish assassin is saying is that flossing is not "immoral" because it is "legal."  ie: If you are not breaking the law, then it is not unethical.  The question for you is why are you fishing?  If the reason you are fishing is to catch fish for the BBQ (and you would use a net if they would let you), then it is it is fine and you should not care if people around you call it bottom bouncing, because bottom bouncing is not illegal as long as the fish is hooked in the mouth.  This is of course "wrong" and the law should be changed to reflect that, but as long the law does not distinguish between a fish snagged in the mouth and and fish hook willingly in the mouth, we have to live with it.  However, if you are a "Sport" fisherman (that is, if you are interested in being "sporting" about catching fish, then you want to make sure the fish is chasing the fly, or at very least is moving to intercept a drifted fly and taking it willingly.  If this is the case, you should avoid using this method.  While the use of the split shots alone does not make this method questionable, the use of the longer (6 foot) leader does.  A 6 foot leader is necessary when fishing moderately to slow moving currents, even longer in still back water if they are clear.  When you are fish currents so fast that you need 4 spit shots to get the fly down, then the 6 foot leader is counter productive as the flies rides up higher than the weights.  When I find myself attaching a split shot or two to my fly line (and I have done so on many occasions),  I would have already shortened my leader to 3 feet or less.  For you to use both, I can only suspect, as would others on the river around you, that the only reason you are using the longer leader in conjunction with the added weight (and 4 shots is a lot of weight) is to hope to long line a fish.  So if that is your intention, then I think you just need to ask yourself that question.  Why am I doing this?  Fly fishing is the ultimate "sport" fishing, where you are not only fooling the fish into taking the hook willingly, but doing so by fooling it with a fly you tied up yourself.  Why would you want to floss a fish with a fly rod, when a drift rod would be so much easier.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:23:10 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »

What fish assassin is saying is that flossing is not "immoral" because it is "legal."  ie: If you are not breaking the law, then it is not unethical.  The question for you is why are you fishing?  If the reason you are fishing is to catch fish for the BBQ (and you would use a net if they would let you), then it is it is fine and you should not care if people around you call it bottom bouncing, because bottom bouncing is not illegal as long as the fish is hooked in the mouth.  This is of course "wrong" and the law should be changed to reflect that, but as long the law does not distinguish between a fish snagged in the mouth and and fish hook willingly in the mouth, we have to live with it.  However, if you are a "Sport" fisherman (that is, if you are interested in being "sporting" about catching fish, then you want to make sure the fish is chasing the fly, or at very least is moving to intercept a drifted fly and taking it willingly.  If this is the case, you should avoid using this method.  While the use of the split shots alone does not make this method questionable, the use of the longer (6 foot) leader does.  A 6 foot leader is necessary when fishing moderately to slow moving currents, even longer in still back water if they are clear.  When you are fish currents so fast that you need 4 spit shots to get the fly down, then the 6 foot leader is counter productive as the flies rides up higher than the weights.  When I find myself attaching a split shot or two to my fly line (and I have done so on many occasions),  I would have already shortened my leader to 3 feet or less.  For you to use both, I can only suspect, as would others on the river around you, that the only reason you are using the longer leader in conjunction with the added weight (and 4 shots is a lot of weight) is to hope to long line a fish.  So if that is your intention, then I think you just need to ask yourself that question.  Why am I doing this?  Fly fishing is the ultimate "sport" fishing, where you are not only fooling the fish into taking the hook willingly, but doing so by fooling it with a fly you tied up yourself.  Why would you want to floss a fish with a fly rod, when a drift rod would be so much easier.

I couldn't of said it better Sandman, I would only add at the end, "Why do you feel a need or want to floss on a river where the fish will readily bite your lure so easily." I understand flossing on the Fraser but in the Vedder visibility is so much better, and the fish will attack your bait with vigour.
Good Fishing All !!! 

ICA

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »

Guys,
Calm down! I was only asking a hypothetical question because for the most part, other than chucking hardware, I am a short-floater and enjoy this method very much. In fact I have never ever BB'ed on the Vedder/Chilliwack in all the years I have fished there. May I make one suggestion fellas...whenever someone put up a statement or topic of discussion, then lets discuss and share our views without landing on any one with a ton of bricks. After all, its only the sport of fishing to be enjoyed, even when we share our knowledge.

Cheers everyone!

Fisherama

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »

I wośldn't take these comments personally ICA.  They seem to be less directed at your post and more at the frustration over questionable fishing methods that are typically widely used on the Vedder this time of year.  Based on my personal interactions on river, I believe that a large majority of people that are flossing (with fly rod, float and long leader or not) don't actually realize what they are doing.  I appreciate that the experienced and more articulate anglers on this forum are able describe why certain methods are not preferred and why.  Many people read these forums and it's probably the most efficient way to educate.

ICA

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:30 AM »

Good point and absolutely no offence taken whatsoever. Thanks again fellas for your thoughts which are always interesting for the most part.

Happy fishing! ;D