Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 18th 2012  (Read 5292 times)

rickjames_2

Chilliwack River, September 18th 2012
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »

Fished the Canal for the last two hours of the day. Found a nice little spot but it was a little busy. Fished well below them for a while just to see how things were going. Springs and some Coho were being hooked. Waited till the spot was clear and tried it for myself. About my 5th cast short floating some roe, got into a nice chrome Jack Spring. :) A good end to the day. Hope this helps.

Sláinte mhaith.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Brian the fisherman

Re: Chilliwack River, September 18th 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:55:51 PM »

Good to hear you got one :) congrats on the chrome jack
I was fishing mid river and hit a big spring i decided to release. A buck in the low 20's bit of a yellow belly and no berries for me to cure.
Maybe it can share its genetics  ;D

Busy day on the river and 4/5 anglers around me were using 7+ ft leaders... i thought the fraser was 20 km in the other direction but i guess im wrong  ;D ::)
Tight lines to all

rickjames_2

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

Busy day on the river and 4/5 anglers around me were using 7+ ft leaders... i thought the fraser was 20 km in the other direction but i guess im wrong  ;D ::)

Yeah, I unfortunately noticed the same thing with most of the people fishing. Sadly, I think I have come to expect it when fishing that stretch of water.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »

Their excuse was "they aren't biting right now" so we have to snag them... as i catch a 20 lb + fish with a piece of shrimp on 18" leader...

Right.. they aren't biting wool.. that's correct.
Try something ??? else, o yeah i forgot, can't get their hands dirty  ::) its so difficult to try new things ;D
Tight lines to all

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »

Yea Springs love shrimp, seen people outfish everyone on shrimp and done it myself a few times. Sometimes add a corky when the rivers a little higher.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:25:04 PM »

toss a little chunk died pink and that usually does it for me.
if the water is super clear all you need is a little chunk for sent. i dress it with chartreuse wool for added killfactor. the good ol' pink/green combo
Tight lines to all

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »

Thanks for the reports guy's I have a couple days off this week so even though its majorly low I think I'll take a peek. And thanks Brian for the tips on the shrimp for the springs. I've used it often for Steelies but never for springs so that will definitely be part of my list to bring this trip.

Sorry to hear about the 7 ft. + leaders. So unfortunate that people feel a need to fish that way on a river that has great visibility and with so many fish willing to bite. Hopefully we get a little rain near the end of this week as there will be a boatload coming in once we get some.

Thanks again for the reports !!!  ;D 8) ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »

Their excuse was "they aren't biting right now" so we have to snag them... as i catch a 20 lb + fish with a piece of shrimp on 18" leader...

Right.. they aren't biting wool.. that's correct.
Try something ??? else, o yeah i forgot, can't get their hands dirty  ::) its so difficult to try new things ;D

You could try to be a little bit less sarcastic when you talk about trying other things. There are many among us who prefer to use artificials only because using bait is equal to 'feeding the fish' rather than 'tricking the fish to bite'. And no, we don't need the long leaders.

FWIW, assuming the same water conditions, the use of bait requires little skill compared to fishing with artificials of any kind - be it plastics, metal or feathers.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »

You could try to be a little bit less sarcastic when you talk about trying other things. There are many among us who prefer to use artificials only because using bait is equal to 'feeding the fish' rather than 'tricking the fish to bite'. And no, we don't need the long leaders.

FWIW, assuming the same water conditions, the use of bait requires little skill compared to fishing with artificials of any kind - be it plastics, metal or feathers.

Still using the roe flies Milo?  ;D

I just hate using bait because you're right, I do hate to get my hands dirty. I do however do quite well and beach over 100 coho a year on average (I cheat though being on the island last few years). Last year chucking metal in 2 days on the Vedder I got 24 to the beach. Roe/prawns/worms/etc isn't the be all end all, in fact as I said in a thread earlier this year, I out fish a lot of roe chuckers for coho and do better with hardware and flies than roe myself generally for coho.

Springs on the other hand as your were describing, are definitely more keen to hit roe/shrimp than a spoon. I still get them fairly often, but good roe is definitely the best thing to use as far as that goes.

What I'm trying to say is that bait isn't required. Many old timers only use a small piece of peach wool and probably out fish most of us out there. And no they aren't flossing  ::) Sometimes smaller is just better in low clear water.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

Still using the roe flies Milo?  ;D

I haven't been fishing much this season, but I did try them out on what proved to be a horribly slow day even for bait chuckers.
I am sure looking forward to using them again this season.

It was funny the other day on the river...myself and a friend fishing artificials without nary a bite, and these young ones show up asking us how we were doing. We said very slow and they proceeded to put some nice looking goo on their hooks and fish the run with us. Sure enough, not long after that they both hooked into some decent looking spring jacks.

One of the youngsters took pity on our lack of success and offered us some of his roe. I politely refused and said I would stick to my artificials.

"But why don't you want something that will catch you fish for sure?"
"Because it would be too easy", was my reply. ;)

The kid just shook his head, but I could almost see his trying to grasp onto my 'twisted' logic.

All that said, I have been known to bring a couple of single egg sacks with me for those days when catching a fish or two is high on my priority list. ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:04:31 PM by milo »

rickjames_2

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

On the subject of artificial baits(lures, flies, ties, and imitations):
Personally, most of my fishing in the past has been with artificials. In particular chucking metal and casting flies(muddlers for the most part). This is the first year I have been really goin hard at it with bait. Honestly, I hate the mess of roe. But I am goin for success rate above all. Reason being is that I have 3 close friends that want me to teach them to fish this season, I just want to make sure they have a good first experience with the sport and turn them into lifelong fishermen and women. This is why I have been going heavy on bait and it has been working.

I can entirely understand the challenge of actually tricking them Milo. It's part of the thrill and why I am getting more and more into fly fishing.

I have definitely been eyeing up those roe flies on the buy and sell Every Day  ;D might have to grab some from ya soon.

ejeffrey

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »

With these roe flies, do you have to add weight to get them down into the zone when drifting through a run with some current? I assume you use a sinking tip with a fairly short leader, but is this enough to sink the fly in time before you get to the end of the drift?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

Have not fished the roe fly, but in clear water conditions like this use a short fluorocarbon leader. Fluoro sinks in water and will help get the fly down. Also after having cast the fly give a mend upstream. This mend will give your fly more time to sink into the strike zone of the fish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »

With these roe flies, do you have to add weight to get them down into the zone when drifting through a run with some current? I assume you use a sinking tip with a fairly short leader, but is this enough to sink the fly in time before you get to the end of the drift?

To be honest I haven't used them all that much for salmon on the fly. When I have it has been on East Coast Van Isle flows that were slow, so a clear intermediate sink tip was enough to get them down in most cases. Most people that buy these from me tend to fish them under a float with split shot to get them down, and when fishing steelhead that is also what I do with great success. It's funny too, because when I'v been fishing cutthroat and rainbows it hasn't even mattered if it's sunk, lots of times they hit it before that!

I do tie them weighted for fly fishermen... can add dumbell eyes, beads, and lead wrap core which gets them down fast.
I would also recommend the small sizes (3 egg or 2 egg) as the 5 eggs pack a lot of weight/drag and are a pain to cast on single handers (not sure about spey though).

Cheers,
Dan

ICA

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »

I saw on Sportfishing on the fly not long ago and they were fishing on the Skeena for Coho and Springs; these guys were weighing down their leader with three or four split shots depending on the current conditions and using a six foot leader tied to a fly and the Cohos were pounding them. I wanted to try this on the Vedder but fear that people might think that I am BBing and give me heck.

What are your thoughts fellas?