Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Careful FWR pet owners. Pet treats Chicken Jerky is making some of them sick  (Read 6317 times)

arimaBOATER

99.9999 % of the time I do not repeat a same topic post on the dif forums that  I'm a member of BUT am doing so today.

It is because it is important to you FWR members who own pets.

CBC's Marketplace 30 min investigative tv show just showed an episode titled " Fighting for Fido ".

Seems that the treat  " chicken jerky " that many pet food co's sell may have an unknown additive that is sickening & killing in some cases pets.
Kidney failure.
FDA  & pet food companies did testing & found the pet food safe but a private lab got samples from owners inwhich their pet got sick.
In these testings the private lab found an unknown additive.l

Too many pets have gotten sick & or died so why roll the dice ???
Yes most of the chicken jerky is safe BUT there is a % that seems to have gotten an unknown additive added to the product.

Make sure ya check the fine print & make sure the pet food did not get imported from China.

Even Purina has this  product from China.

Google " Fighting for Fido"

We humans now have to be careful with our recent Alberta beef & China's chicken jerky for our doggie !!!!!!!
What's next radiated salmon & seafood. :o

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

We had a bag of chicken jerky that we bought for our dog and we got it from Costco. As soon as we herd about this show, which was a while back, I checked the bag and sure enough it was from China, I through the whole bag out.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

arimaBOATER

Geff ya mentioned that Marketplace the CBC wkly investigative show " played a while back " thus today's show then was a repeat.
1st time I seen it.

The majority of dogs that eat the product have no ill effects but some do.
Thus better play it safe & ya did wise to throw the product out.

Life is a maze or mine field sometimes.
Alive one minute & wiped out the next. ( lady in Vancouver 2 wks ago crossing the street & nailed by a city bus)

Gee a yr is only 365 days  & as I'm 56 maybe got 20-30 yrs left...that's 365 x 30 yrs gee so that's how many days I got left. ( number our days )
Cats & dogs age 7x faster so do not give them chicken jerky.
Their life "may" be put on fast speed to kaput or el deado.

But seriously hope ya all who have pets check out " Fighting for Fido" on google search for info.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:49:54 PM by A-BOATER »

chronicfisher

Thanx for the heads up! As a pet owner much appreciated.

Sandy

• Old Timer

our hound ( big sage) is currently in the vet's care, not sure what has happend; she's going through a battery of tests now. Serious enough to iv fluids and antibiotics and something to counter react some poisons. Also a possibility "treats" are a culprit, not only chemical wise but some are brittle enough to jamb in the gullet. Only three hours in so too early to tell yet.

House seems empty!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Sandy I really hope and pray that your dog recovers quickly and returns home to fill that empty spot.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sandy

• Old Timer

Thanks Geoff,

just brought her home, going to be on antibiotics + , we will find out more tomorrow, blood urine stool and a suspicious biopsy sample.

She's struggling to chew hard food and lap up water seems she is favouring her lower jaw but at this time it's simply ruling out stuff. Hopefully tomorrow will have something definitive. Apart from that she's still wagging the tail and wanting to play.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer

thanks to all that sent us messages. seems that ejiit has a few fans.

anyway official diagnosis is: 1) ecoli poisoning , yep same strain as in recent news :(
                                         2) infection caused a trigger of a case of trigeminal-neuritis ( hang/drop Jaw ) it's not common, so many vets don't pick it up right away. I spotted something while trolling the net and asked the vet if it fitted, he took it from there.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/trigeminal-neuritis-in-dogs/page1.aspx)

she's getting, or appears to be improving with hand feeding and a horse syringe to give her water and heavy duty antibiotics for the next 3-4 weeks.

Vet also mentioned that they are seeing far more cases of what appears to be bugs of one sort or another sickening and worse of cats and dogs. 

some say just a dog but... she was aside (and demanded it) me pretty well all the time during my recovery, we owe her.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:24:45 PM by Sandy »

arimaBOATER

Ecoli poisoning ya state.

Fortunately your " doggie" is still alive.
We have a 15 yr old cat who still is doing very well.
Plays, good eyes,hearing, still moves fast & can jump high.
Hopefully she will not get one of these " bugs" that ya mentioned going around.

Many times when pets look sick it was because they ate something that was a no no.
Check out:     "Dangerous foods that dogs should never eat" pets.wedmd.

chronicfisher

Glad to hear your dog will be getting better!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

Make your own dog treats!  They are not picky eaters!

My recipe
Some meat ground or finely chopped
eggs
some veggies finely chopped
garlic powder
parsley and other herbs

mix up in a bowl, spread on a baking pan flat (about 1/2 inch thick)
bake the beep out of it at 275c until it dries out.
*score it before it's totally dry in the size of pieces you would like.*
stick pieces in zip-lock bag in freezer.

They are actually kind of yummy  :P