Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheap vs expensive  (Read 27086 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Cheap vs expensive
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »

not a hater, not even slightly

do i think its wrong to just tell people "buy Sage or you will be dissappionted cause you didnt"

YES I do, the fact of the matter is everyone has their name brands they like and ones they dream about having when they can afford it. I fish Sage's for my trout rods and i have cast several of their line-ups right through their spey rods (not the ONE yet though) I have also fished and owned several other brands and enjoyed them all. I get enjoyment out of catching fish, catching those same exact fish on gear that costs 5X more doesnt change the pleasure level.

are you actually trying to say that Sage is top when it comes to spey rods as well ??

from what you said they top even the spey market. what about the other highest end rods like T&T, Burkenheimer, RB Meiser, G Loomis, Scott and so on ?
I have cast mid range rods side by side with mid range rods and while some weights or models feel slightly different there hasnt been one yet where it is such a difference that it blew me away. take RB Meiser rods for example, his rods are cheaper than Sage and a few other high end companies however his rods LOOK way nicer with the awesome cork work and feather inlays that others dont do.......now Pieroway rods does also do nice cork work and feather inlays, they also have these wicked reel inserts.

go to your local shop, literally have them line up several rods from different brands and price points and buy what feels best to you  ;)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:44:57 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Carich980

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 04:02:49 AM »

Im not trying to say, I am in fact saying Total Domination. Sage one Spey.  8)

Go cast one.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »

you seem very stuck to a name brand, branch out a little. you might like it  ;)

some people actually really dislike the fast action of the Zaxis rods and in that regard possibly the ONE series as well. I happen to like medium fast and fast action spey rods but for the price tag of 900+ dollars there is companies that are just as good at 2/3rds that cost or even as low as half.

I fish a Beulah classic right now because i like several things about Beulah and the fact their turn around is 2weeks or less rather than some companies being 6weeks +

If i was going to spend that kind of money on a rod i dont think i would buy Sage anyways.

HOOK - rather spend less on the rod and save the money for bloody gas !!!
Check out our new blog

crazypop

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »

Fish with what you can afford.

kalex60

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Carich980 which other rods have you fished either than the sages

iCemAn

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »

Carich980 which other rods have you fished either than the sages

I can't speak on his behalf, but my Sage One is hands down the best rod I have ever cast. I have owned pretty much a rod from every company and currently own a number of other rod's, Sage and others.

For pure casting enjoyment and accuracy, the One is unreal. For distance, my G Loomis GLX is a canon! I love my Scott 6wt on small rivers for chucking streamers. I have owned a few Sage rods that I haven't liked and therefore sold them, and I have owned a number of other companies that I have loved and hated.

Reason's I like Sage rods in general... Warranty, resale and technology. That being said, I wouldn't say no to another rod because it wasn't a Sage as long as it feels good! I will buy them all!!!!  :D
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

Carich980

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »

I can't speak on his behalf, but my Sage One is hands down the best rod I have ever cast. I have owned pretty much a rod from every company and currently own a number of other rod's, Sage and others.

For pure casting enjoyment and accuracy, the One is unreal. For distance, my G Loomis GLX is a canon! I love my Scott 6wt on small rivers for chucking streamers. I have owned a few Sage rods that I haven't liked and therefore sold them, and I have owned a number of other companies that I have loved and hated.

Reason's I like Sage rods in general... Warranty, resale and technology. That being said, I wouldn't say no to another rod because it wasn't a Sage as long as it feels good! I will buy them all!!!!  :D

X2 excellent post!

spoiler

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 12:37:27 PM »

after 45 years of flyfishing I have used the very cheap to the very expensive and everything in between. i would say your best bang for your buck would be a TFO road (temple fork outfitters). it's not a Sage One but it's a very good rod for the price and also has a warranty. I have a full rack of Sages including gear rods and some other top brands. If you are really bent on owning a Sage I would suggest going on Ebay and looking at some used RPL's which can go for a fraction of the cost of todays high end rods and are still very good. Just my two bits.........

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

to bad the RPL series of rods feel wicked heavy compared to the rods made now. yes i HAVE cast one along side a couple other newer model Sages however once you get the hang of the rod it sure is a bloody canon !!  ;D

their FLi series was lower-mid range but sure cast butter smooth, wish they hadnt discontinued it.

any of you Sage guys cast the VXP series yet ? i havent had the pleasure but im in the market for a 10' 7wt single hander  ;) 
Check out our new blog

iCemAn

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »

any of you Sage guys cast the VXP series yet ? i havent had the pleasure but im in the market for a 10' 7wt single hander  ;) 

I have a VXP 596-4 and it is one of my favourite casting rods. I fish it with a Rio Grand 5wt and it casts so sweet. Medium action, quite forgiving and very sensitive. It is probably the best bang for the buck rod I own and is normally 1 of my 3 rods I take stillwater fishing. I use it as my 2nd chironomid rod along with my sage one 5100-4.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

ByteMe

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »

I just bought a 9ft Sage Flight on clearance for $230,reg at $345.They are also clearing out the Sage Vantage for $170.These two rods have been discontinued,but still have the Sage lifetime warranty.Check with your local tackle stores.I fished with a TFO for a long time and the Sage is definately worth the money IMO,a night and day difference between the 2 rods
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh