Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let The Games Begin!!!  (Read 9949 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Let The Games Begin!!!
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

For quite a few years I had given in to the realization that far too many shoulder injuries had taken their toll on this aging body, and that as a consequence it was extremely doubtful that I'd ever hunt with pointy sticks again. No way in hell could I draw my old compound to full draw, and certainly no chance of holding it there.

Then along came a great Ducks Unlimited dinner at which myself and our "Git 'Er Done Team" from Port Alberni were being toasted for having helped capture the title of Canada's Ultimate Fishing Town. Amongst the many items at auction there was a super-slick looking Excalibur Ibex Crossbow. That got me to thinking... maybe with this little toy I could once again join in the ranks of those hunters who aspire to taking their game with a bow...
Bidding was serious between only me and one other. At the last possible moment, I RAN to up the ante just slightly, and before the other fellow could react, the auction Gal snapped up the form! The bow was MINE!!

Did a fair amount of practice with that new weapon after fully dressing her in all the latest finest. Extremely accurate, I soon found out NOT to shoot two arrows at the same point lest risking pulling a "Robin Hood" and literally destroying the first arrow in the target! Sweet!!

That accuracy paid off in the fall, when once again I set out to try my luck! I passed many shots on our smaller Island deer, and then decided to hook up with a Good Buddy out near Kelowna for the late bow season. Managed to muff the first shot I ever took on game with it, my fault, certainly not the bow's. But the next two shots resulted in a couple of fine eating whitetails for the larder, and now the hook was set deep! Right Hooked that is!

I had no intention of replacing the Ibex, it performed beyond my expectations. Then, a fellow on Excalibur's Forum listed a new Exomax, looking for the exact bow I had. Hmmmm....
The Exomax is the top end of Excalibur's line, one of the fastest hunting crossbows ever produced, boasting a 225 lb. draw weight and capable of arrow speeds of 350 FPS. This was noticeably stronger and faster than the Ibex, and so I decided to toy with the idea of a possible trade. Several lengthy conversations later, I made the decision, dismantled the Ibex and boxed her up for shipping.

Days passed, and I began to second guess that decision! What if the bow on it's way to me is a piece of crap? What if I don't like it when it gets here? What the hell have I done??

Then, yesterday, a call from The Missuz while out on the Big Pond: Your bow has arrived! It took everything I could do to stay out there to collect my Buddy's first ever spring, but I somehow managed to throttle that back, and indeed, he SCORED! Great day all round...

Back at The Hacienda, it was with trembling hands and great apprehension that I carefully un-crated the new bow. Better than advertised, the stickers were still in place, and the bow looks to be brand spanky new!! Too tired after days upon days of fishing, I decided to put it together and fully dress her in the morning. Dreams of hunting entertained me through the night, but right early I awoke and literally scrambled to get her in Hunting Form!!

Fully dressed the Exomax is a delightful albeit fearsome looking bow!

Here's a few pictures of the latest weapon in my arsenal:

AWESOME IMHO!!

Had to run a buddy down-Island last night to catch a plane back to the mainland. On the way home The Missuz and I stuck our noses into an area we know is often frequented by about a dozen blacktails, including one Gagger buck with rather magnificent headgear. To our utter amazement, the field in question hosted more deer than we have ever seen there! We counted them three times to be certain, the number came up the same each and every time! FORTY-TWO, including not one, but Two HUGE Bucks, one very typical four point with good brows, and a second non-typical with far too many points to get an accurate count on! WOW!!

I usually wait for the bucks to shed their velvet before taking up the chase. But with the new bow in hand, and the deer rather close to home, I am now toying with the thought of engaging in the early bow season here damn soon (that is already open!).

So, this afternoon I am off to see what the new Gal shoots like. If things go as well as I think they will, those two Gaggers just inherited a rather serious problem!! ME!!

Hope to soon be posting pictures of the new toy's success! Best of Luck to all who are heading out this fall in pursuit of The Game!!

Cheers,
Nog

kid fisherman

Re: Let The Games Begin!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

Good luck and be safe Nog, I still got to wait 2 weeks till I can get out!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

She Shoots - She SCORES!!

I finally got the opportunity to try out the new-to-me Exomax yesterday afternoon.

Right from the get-go it needed very little tweaking to find dead-center at 20 yards:

You can see from the picture I basically forgot the Golden Rule and fired twice at the same point. Arrows ended up just touching each other... Lucky I didn't blow one of them up!!

A couple minor adjustments at 30 yards, and Bang On at 40 yards with no further tweaking!

This time I intentionally held a little high for the first shot, and about an inch low for the second. Seems to me that they certainly would have Robin Hooded had I aimed at the same point!

First and second broadhead flights at 40 yards resulted in:

And the results of five consecutive shots at 40 yards basically cut the center of the target right out!!

The fellow I traded with sent along a couple of Big John's custom arrows with the bow.
Those together with the Exomax are literally a Work Of Art!
Incredible accuracy, once again living up to the Standard of Excellence Excalibur bows are so famous for!

Taking her back to the range again this afternoon, just a little more proving with the broadheads, and then thinking seriously about heading after those two Big Bucks the Missuz and I saw just a couple of days ago! At this point I am VERY Comfortable that the bow will indeed do it's job in that pursuit providing I do mine...   ;D

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »

I,m back hunting after 30 year reprieve. :) I bought a Browning cobra 58 pound recurve back when I was 18, and working out with near frozen puff pastry dough at a bakery. Dug it out this week and thought it would be a bit tough to use now but I can still shoot with it. But am definitely going to get a crossbow.

That one looks lethal Nog.  :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »

... But am definitely going to get a crossbow...

I drug my dated ol' PSE Laser Magnum out when testing the new crossbow the other day. Although I could still draw and hold it, it certainly didn't take long for my left shoulder to start SCREAMING at me for doing so. Too many injuries over the years it seems, ain't going to even try that again.

If you are looking for a crossbow, you simply cannot go wrong with any of Excalibur's line-up! Reasonably simply by design and function, they are Extremely Well Made, Damn Tough (Lifetime Warranty!), Powerful, Extremely Accurate, and Canadian Made! This is the second of their products I have owned, and I could not be Happier!
Shoot me a PM when you start looking, have some decent contacts to share...
And check out their Forum, loads to ingest there: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

That one looks lethal Nog.  :)

I truly believe so! It's predecessor the Ibex certainly was! This one is noticeably Faster, and if the target testing was any indication, there's a few critters out there that better start Shakin' In Their Boots!  :D

Cheers,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »

Maybe I need to get you to clean out some of the deer in our hay field on the Island. ;D ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

Maybe I need to get you to clean out some of the deer in our hay field on the Island. ;D ;D

Shoot me a PM Chris! I'd be Pleased to Accommodate!!  ;)

Cheers,
Nog: Have Bow Will Travel!!  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »

message sent too.

Looking forward to the opening of grouse and deer on Monday, saw a nice 3 to 4 point near Spences Bridge on Highway 1 last week. Also a few bears but have never had the will to down one. :-\

Of course I will be using the scattergun and rifle, hope they both will bark in 5 days. ;D ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »

message sent too.

Received and Replied too  ;)

Of course I will be using the scattergun and rifle, hope they both will bark in 5 days. ;D ;D

Never had a yen to shoot bears that weren't directly harassing me myself.

Best of Luck on the opening Chris! Hope you collect some Yummies for the winter!!

Cheers,
Matt

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »

Grouse hunting poor saw only 7 got one and missed another, saw some deer but no 4 point or better, lots of bears but was please to get my 8 jack springs over 2 days.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »

I hear you Chris! Damn Fishing keeps getting in the way of getting out there with the bow!
And now, I have to run to Ukee for another week of the same. Dammit! LOL!  ;D

I'll get there eventually methinks...  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 11:00:57 PM »

Two nice willows on the last day of this weeks hunt.

Better stay home for a few days to plan for our BC Rivers Day cleanup and celebration on the 30th on the Chilliwack Vedder River syatem but may squeeze in a local hunt or two. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »

Headed out for a 3 day deer hunt on Wednesday but had to cut it short as got a 2 point in the first hour of the hunt and had to get it home to cool. ;D

Will write the story later.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

Congrats on the 2-point Chris!!   ;D

Sixty-Seven Yards from one of the Biggies with the bow this morning. GAGGER!
Actually a tad heavier & wider than I thought!  :o
Big Dry Doe (Grey-Back Granny) stayed ever so slightly farther.
Of course all the rest came within 25 to 6 or 7 yards.  :D

Nobody caught on to my presence.  ;D

No arrows flung...

Soon though methinks...  ;)

Cheers,
Nog