Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blue lake  (Read 6340 times)

mikeyman

Blue lake
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »

Anybody ever gone to blue lake before? I am going there for a couple days with the girlfriend, we rented a cabin right on the lake with a dock and canoe included. I am not planning to do to much fishing, but thought I might troll a fly around for a bit one day. I think the lake has small trout around 30cm.

Anybody suggest flies I should try?

WestEast

Re: Blue lake
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »

There must be more than one "Blue Lake" in BC. The one I've scouted was very remote, had no cabins but had a small Forest Service campsite, and has the reputation of having large, difficult-to-catch trout in the 20+ inches range in water that is very blue and clear. Near Glimpse Lake.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »

Blue lake Boston bar ??

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »

Boston Bar, it isn't a very big lake. Just wondering what kind of general fly patterns I might try. I don't do much lake fly fishing for trout. I was just going to troll around a fly on a sinking line. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »

Boston Bar, it isn't a very big lake. Just wondering what kind of general fly patterns I might try. I don't do much lake fly fishing for trout. I was just going to troll around a fly on a sinking line. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Deer Hair Hoppers! Always seem to get me a fish or two (not for trolling)
Doc Spratleys - Black and Red
Pumpkinheads
Buggers - Black and Wine
Pheasant tail nymps (not for trolling) Bead heads. Ive had good luck and major strikes putting a shot about 2 feet from the fly, letting it sink, and then stripping quick to make it rise. Would probably works with a sinking line.
Hell, take a few Chironomids, fish them naked. Cast out as far as the lake is deep, let it fully sink, then slow slow slowly retrieve (If it doesnt hurt, you are going too fast!) and the fly line and fly should come straight up vertically. If not, let it sink longer! Or you casted too far.

I never did much still water fishing, but the few experiences Ive had this season they seem to be easier than expected. You just have to find the fish.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:48:36 PM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »

When i was there the cabins were not so great and all the fish were small,you can just walk around the lake until see schools of fish then launch.