Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Day trip to squamish area, tips?  (Read 7703 times)

Shawn6o4

Day trip to squamish area, tips?
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »

Im heading to the squamish/ whistler area tomorrow for the day. Ive never fished anywhere there before and have a freshwater licence and a few light tackle rods.

I know lakes probly wont be to productive. But what would you suggest?

Is there any trout streams or rivers there? ( not asking for secret spots so calm down everyne )

Also ive never fished for salmon, but have acces to rods and rigs ect.

Thanks for any help!

Shawn.

Shawn6o4

Re: Day trip to squamish area, tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

67 people looked at my thread but not a single helpfull person, thanks.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »

Water. Find it, fish it.

To be totally honest, I only started fishing last year when the pinks were running. Since then I've asked for ideas about where to fish for different regions and even provinces. No lie, not one person has helped me. There have been answers to my questions after the fact, but they were all answers I discovered on my own before. Example. I asked where was close to find cutties, 2 days later i got an answer for a stream that I had gone, tried and got 2 cut throat in. so the answer is, google map your where abouts, set a course, take a reg book, find water, then fish it. If you arent up for exploring, hiking, discovering, and enjoying, then I suggest green timbers lake or one if the other easily accessed, right off the road lakes.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »

Shawn most probably found out yesterday that the river are still far too full of silt to fish.

Also I hope he consulted the regs.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

Ask a guy where he likes to fish you may as well be asking to sleep between him and his wife, it's just not going to happen.
There are plenty of lakes and streams up that way, I can't stress how valuable a BC backroads map book can be even for the weekend explorer! These books are a hunting / fishing bible and for $20 or something like that worth their weight in gold.

mko72

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »

Also, Squamish tourism center followed by exploration and experimentation.  I'm no veteran by any standards but the best day I ever had was in Squamish.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »

I can't stress how valuable a BC backroads map book can be even for the weekend explorer!

Yep. I've got the Fishing Mapbook version for Regions 2 & 3; includes depth charts + techniques for specific water bodies. It's quite accurate, info.-wise, and so has helped make for some very productive and memorable trips. Well worth the $27.95 + tax that I paid for it.

I've got a mint copy up for $20. Check the buy & sell if interested.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »

Shawn most probably found out yesterday that the river are still far too full of silt to fish.

Also I hope he consulted the regs.
Yup. I headed up there today to deliver a wedding cake with my girlfriend. TheMamquam, Cheakamus, and Squamish were running a bit fast, and extremely cloudy. Did not bother to put the waders on.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »

so the river is hıgh and silty . i suggest to try a squamısh lake . brohm or alice for half pound trout , or take the hıke to garibaldi and try fıshing there . it mıght be the best option sınce its a hıgh elevation lake and the fısh will bıte i thinks

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »

67 people looked at my thread but not a single helpfull person, thanks.

All the forums have a "search" option. Do you think you are the first person to ask about the Squamish system and area? If you are talking the river it changes a ton from year to year so info that was good last year will be no good this year plus its still in freshet so visibility will be a problem. Basic info for the area will be in past threads and because of the sensitivity of the river and tributaries most will not give up their secret spots that aren't crowded. Use the search option and explore, that is how I found my way around up there and most of my fondest fishing memories are from. You can easily find info on the lakes on the internet if that is what you are after. It comes up it seems time and time again that too many dont want to do the leg work to research an area when all it takes is a search from past info on many of these type of forums.

good luck
always a student

Shawn6o4

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »

Thanks for all the info everyone, that's all i was really asking was for small bits of info no secret spots.

I actually found one of those backroads maps in my grandpas old tackle box, putting it to use now.

I first stoped at browning lake for a few hours no luck but was really nice.

Checked out alice lake for the first time and was rewarded with a nice rainbow!  I got it on a 20+ year old wedding band my grandpa made.

And i have been looking through countless pages on this forum and have gather lots of good info, but hey never hurts to ask.

Thanks for the tips Dan, your the first person to give me some tips, appreciate any info given.

And thanks to all others info and input.

Shawn.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

All the forums have a "search" option. Do you think you are the first person to ask about the Squamish system and area? If you are talking the river it changes a ton from year to year so info that was good last year will be no good this year plus its still in freshet so visibility will be a problem. Basic info for the area will be in past threads and because of the sensitivity of the river and tributaries most will not give up their secret spots that aren't crowded. Use the search option and explore, that is how I found my way around up there and most of my fondest fishing memories are from. You can easily find info on the lakes on the internet if that is what you are after. It comes up it seems time and time again that too many dont want to do the leg work to research an area when all it takes is a search from past info on many of these type of forums.

good luck

Except this is a bit of a double edged sword. You say use the search function, and then get a ton of threads labeled "X System" and replies saying "use the search function"

Im not saying the info isnt there, but if you dont have any to add, then youre only adding to the less that is available, and the more "use the search function" posts.

The best part is when googling a system, or hell, a computer problem, google gives me threads which have the problem as their titles, and then a bunch of people saying "try google!" That really helped anyone.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »

Haha fair enough DanJohn. At some point you just have to get out and maybe get skunked then. Use some basic info of the species in the area and get out there. Also when I first started going down to the river and watching people who were successful and asking them is what I did. I am always much more willing to help someone new in person on the riverbank or at a lake then a random post over the net. Just my thoughts and honestly I wasn't trying to be an A hole in my original post. Learning and becoming successful on your own can be extremely fulfilling.
always a student

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »

Haha fair enough DanJohn. At some point you just have to get out and maybe get skunked then. Use some basic info of the species in the area and get out there. Also when I first started going down to the river and watching people who were successful and asking them is what I did. I am always much more willing to help someone new in person on the riverbank or at a lake then a random post over the net. Just my thoughts and honestly I wasn't trying to be an A hole in my original post. Learning and becoming successful on your own can be extremely fulfilling.

No worries. I at first thought you might be a bit of a dick, but after rereading your post in a non biased way, I figured you were just offering good advice (which it is, no argument there.)

I agree with the other half. A lot actually. I was on a river chasing cutties, and I was having NO luck. I watched this fella hook into one, and release it. After, I watched his retrieve (fly fishing) and copied it EXACTLY. Within about 2 minutes, I had a fish on. I simply followed his movments and was rewarded. The fly didnt matter, we were using completely different ones. After he congratulated me, I told him about my copying him. He explained that it was due to the cold water, and the faster strip helped get them excited and willing. Well I dont know if its true, but I know it worked for whatever reason. I can tell you, I felt like a sneaky genius just because I managed to do it without help, although if he hadnt been there, I would have surely been skunked. But it was the same feeling you get on a fly you tie yourself. A bit of pride, confidence, and at the same time, the fish get brought down from the pedestal, and dont seem so impossible to catch. Granted, maybe its just me that put them up there.

I also agree with you on helping people who are out there. Its a lot easier to help someone who is there with you, and shows they have a want to succeed.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »

Well lets get out there and fish then ! Lol