Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Fish Cakes.  (Read 7053 times)

Animal Chin

Steelhead Fish Cakes.
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »

I'm sure everyone has there own fishcake recipe, but I tried this one yesterday and it worked out pretty good.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/us/foundation/jamies-food-revolution/recipes/SALMON_FISH_CAKES

I tried to use a lot more fish than potato, last time I did the reverse and it was still good but too mushy. I also used coarse pepper and a little Mrs. Dash. When the recipe says "zest" a lemon, basically that means running a lemon skin over a cheese grater and stopping when you see white.

After patties were made, I left in fridge for a while to firm up (uncovered): 3-4 hours. Best to form patties when mashed potatoes are cold as recipe suggests. And I used a lot of olive oil to fry, but at relatively low heat. 5 or 6 to get oil hot and then 4 once frying, turning often so as not to burn. I also put a little coarse pepper and sea salt in the oil before I threw in the patties.

Pretty basic. I think you could throw whatever you wanted in, like bell peppers, onions, your choice of spices etc. Fresh parsley is way better than using dried.  I find the thinner the cakes/patties the better.

Fresh lemon squeezed over, goes good with asparagus and 2 minute chow mein fried in the same pan with some alfredo sauce or just more olive oil and salt.

Edit: My buddy showed me this way to make pasta, and it is excellent. Sea salt and water to boil, throw in pasta. Once done... this is important... keep a shot glass of the pasta water before draining. Using same pot, lots of olive oil, bit of sea salt and lots of garlic.. throw pasta back in and add shot glass of pasta water you saved. Stir for couple minutes, scrape the bottom of pan and serve.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:24:09 PM by Animal Chin »

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
Re: Steelhead Fish Cakes.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »

You used to be a skateboarder didn't you. I remember watching that movie and tearing up my buddies halfpipe afterwards. ;)

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »

;D I'd draw a vato rat in response if I knew how.

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

I had a coho from the fall sitting in the freezer and it was time to cook it or risk freezer damage. It was in surprisingly good shape. I'm not that great at filleting fish. I used the left over fish carcass (minus tail and head obviously) for the above recipe and it worked like a charm. Flesh flaked off easily. Now no wastage. 

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »

I had a coho from the fall sitting in the freezer and it was time to cook it or risk freezer damage. It was in surprisingly good shape. I'm not that great at filleting fish. I used the left over fish carcass (minus tail and head obviously) for the above recipe and it worked like a charm. Flesh flaked off easily. Now no wastage. 

some good videos here; choose which works for you.

personally i like to use pliers for the belly bones rather then slicing it off completely. less wastage.

good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fillet+salmon