Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Red Springs  (Read 10060 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Vedder Red Springs
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

It had been well over 4 years since I last fished for Red Springs on the Vedder.  Usually during the summer months I'm busy with other more productive things to do but with this years decent run, I said what the heck and decided to head up to the Vedder with my other two fishing buds.  This is not really a fishing report per se but more of an observation of the fact that there is a viable alternative to BB for springs at the Scale bar.  I had forgotten just how strong these fish are.  The 8 pound buck that I retained fought just as hard as a white spring twice its size.  And the quality of the meat well you can see for yourself:

I have a rule that if it aint chrome it aint going home.  The Vedder Reds certainly are an exception to this rule as this fish had no chrome on it whatsoever but the quality of the meat is still outstanding.  Having had a week full of BBQ meals from the red spring that I caught at Ukee last week this one is going in the smoker, candy style.

Yes Fly Fishing Magician, I will save some for you.

1son

Re: Vedder Red Springs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »

Wow good job meat looks real bright and fresh

oolichan2

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »

Meat looks great and good reminder that there are fisheries way better than the Fraser snag fest for anglers that like to get them to bite.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »

All three of us brought home a spring.  All were caught on cured spring roe (some of the bait was last year's).  Funny enough they did not seem to like my cured krill or shrimp.  Thought for sure they would be all over that.  And best of all, no crowds to deal with!

FishingKing

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »

nice catch! The meet looks great.

alan701

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »

Looks delicious. Hooked my first spring on the vedder but lost it recently.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »

They definately do pull harder then most fish, maybe its the warmer water.
The Bigger The Better!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »

They definately do pull harder then most fish, maybe its the warmer water.

I think it has to do with the strain of chinook.  These are transplanted Blackwater fish from the interior.  Genetically, they are built to run up the Fraser through Hells gate.  They are shaped like bullets and pull hard when hooked.  Conversely, Vedder whites are Harrison fish which have a much less arduous run to their spawning grounds.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »

I think it has to do with the strain of chinook.  These are transplanted Blackwater fish from the interior.  Genetically, they are built to run up the Fraser through Hells gate.  They are shaped like bullets and pull hard when hooked.  Conversely, Vedder whites are Harrison fish which have a much less arduous run to their spawning grounds.
Not sure about the Blackwaters but for sure Bowron, Chilko and Slim Creek chinooks were used for broodstock.  Years ago we sampled spawned chinooks from the hatchery for a disease survey .... the flesh of these fish was still firm and red so I canned a few "carcasses".   They were excellent with a very high oil content.

Damn shame a better effort wasn't made to enhance the indigenous fish that were still available then as these hatchery fish now are really a put and take fishery with virtually no wild recruitment.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »

as these hatchery fish now are really a put and take fishery with virtually no wild recruitment.

Why no wild recruitment, Dave?

buck

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

Dave,   Chilliwack reds were transplanted from Slim Creek. Now I know why you don't fish anymore, your eating carcasses. 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »

Dave,   Chilliwack reds were transplanted from Slim Creek. Now I know why you don't fish anymore, your eating carcasses. 
:D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »

Why no wild recruitment, Dave?
These fish spawn the end of August.  That worked just fine for the Slim Creek stock (thanks Buck) as water temperatures were starting to drop then and the eggs accumulated few temperature units until spring and emergence.  On the Chilliwack however water temperatures don't start dropping until 4-6 weeks later, meaning juvenile chinook fry emerge when temperatures are low and food scarce.  The indigenous stock from the Chilliwack spawned about a month later than these transplants.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »

These fish spawn the end of August.  That worked just fine for the Slim Creek stock (thanks Buck) as water temperatures were starting to drop then and the eggs accumulated few temperature units until spring and emergence.  On the Chilliwack however water temperatures don't start dropping until 4-6 weeks later, meaning juvenile chinook fry emerge when temperatures are low and food scarce.  The indigenous stock from the Chilliwack spawned about a month later than these transplants.

Interesting. Thanks Dave. If I recall, the same sort of issue occurred with sockeye tranplanted to the Upper Adams from the Lower Adams.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:06 AM »

Very interesting points guys.  Yes, the reds we retained were excellent.  Not chrome bullets, but very strong and the flesh was firm.  I went back and managed to retain another little buck of about 6 - 8 pounds and again, the meat was outstanding!  That was last week.  I wonder if there's still a few nice fish to be had in that river.  It is getting quite late now...