Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Never Fish Alone in BC  (Read 17623 times)

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
Never Fish Alone in BC
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjspsps7qNU

"On July 29, 2012, at about 4:40pm. We witnessed 2 bullies, drove a truck very aggressively and stopped at the north end of Eagle Mountain Drive in Coquitlam BC. They came down from their truck, screaming, shouting and moving towards an old man whom was fishing at the nearby fishing pond.

At first, we thought they were some Park Rangers checking on fishing license. But things turned ugly quickly, they kept repeating and threatening the old man that they will hurt him if he continues to fish here despite that he has a valid fishing license.

Then they ransacked the old man's belongings, took his 2 fishing poles, smashed them on the road railing until they broke into pieces and threw the fishing gears into the pond. We thought they were going to hurt the old man, so we kept yelling at them and told them what they were doing was against the laws. They didn't care and continued to uttering threats. Luckily, as they were not able to get anything out of the situation, they returned to their truck and drove off.

We asked the old man whether he wants to report this matter to the police but he declined as the laws in BC couldn't do anything towards their actions. We concluded that the bullies had the intention to actually rob the old man because they went thru this belongings.

We were very upset that this happened in peaceful Coquitlam. I always thought this place is safe as my wife and kids like to walk our dog in this area. We have to change our route and will never feel safe again."

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Never Fish Alone in BC
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »

That is disturbing. No excuse for that type of behaviour

Pac NW

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:02:21 AM »

Why did you not phone 911 at the time? This still should be reported to the police. Now these guys think they got away with something and are more likely to do it again.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:31:49 AM »

What the hell is wrong with those people (the bullies)?!
Someone was here

rickjames_2

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:37:44 AM »

Wow. Complete morons. Seems pretty cowardly. Please, at least consider submitting a statement and the video to the RCMP. If it doesn't help the old man it could help the next person to be bullied by these dummies.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Deb

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »

That just makes me furious! Should be reported to the police anyways by the witness. If they were overheard uttering threats and destroyed some of this man's personal belongings the police should have enough to go on. And yes, wouldn't want these losers thinking they can get away with that kind of behavior. What if the next poor victim gets physically assaulted? I wouldn't want to know that I had the license and could have reported it. IMO.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »

If what we've just read was true, it makes me sick.  I too hope this was reported to the RCMP pronto.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »

License plate - Check.
Make and Model of vehicle - Check.

Human scum freaks me out more then wild animals.  I sure hope there is an update on this.

This should be on the news.

Bcdrock

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

An unfortunate story. That location is holding water because of a family of beavers. It also feeds into Scott creek and is closed to fishing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:36:10 PM by Bcdrock »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »

By damaging the old guy's fishing equipment, isn't that a crime? The old guy can sue them for damages. The threats are definitely a case for police to take action. They can prosecute these two guys. Don't know if there is a racial element in this too.

jacked55

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »

by not submitting your information to the police, you are advocating this action to continue happening. I really think you should re-consider. By choosing to not come forward, we make ourselves victims over and over.

crazypop

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

Unreal!

Sam6140

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

Doesn't that pond hold no fish though?

Sam6140

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »

I live in the area, and needless to say I will be keeping my eyes open for that truck.  I will definitely be having a chat with those guys if I ever find them.  And the old man does need to report this incident.  There is a plate number involved, and several witnesses.  These guys will not be off the hook so long as the old man agrees to press charges.  It's a mischief charge at the very least, and destruction of personal property, as well as uttering threats.  The fact that these guys were picking on a helpless old man, would most likely cause the book to be thrown at them. 

Why were they being so protective of that pond?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:10:31 PM by Sam6140 »

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »

Every situation is different but you should have called the police or 911. If you have a cell phone take a picture of the vehicle and people in question. Also yelling at pepple is good because it lets them know others see them. But if a phrase is yelled out like  " The Police have been called and they will be here in five minutes". Most bullies will show their true colors and take off.
As far as never fish alone,  I have fished all over this province with friends and by myself. I have yet to run into any jerks to ruin my outing but there is always a first time.