Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 floss-out  (Read 70928 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2012 floss-out
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »

Okay I gave it two seconds. Considered not Bottom bouncing then thought about the alternative. Bar fishing. Sitting in a chair for long periods of time waiting for a possible bite. Easy decision back to bottom bouncing. Most productive way of catching fish at the scale bar. Actually probably the only way to catch fish at the scale bar. I will politely ask the Indians to stop netting and selling sockeye but we all know that is not going to happen. Where is my bouncing betty?
If you have time go to the Fraser Valley Salmon Society facebook page and you will see there is more to bar fishing than just catching fish, relaxing is one of them. ;D ;D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fraser-Valley-Salmon-Society/111769675563789#!/photo.php?fbid=354257531315001&set=a.354257451315009.79328.111769675563789&type=1&theater

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »

Okay I gave it two seconds. Considered not Bottom bouncing then thought about the alternative. Bar fishing. Sitting in a chair for long periods of time waiting for a possible bite. Easy decision back to bottom bouncing. Most productive way of catching fish at the scale bar. Actually probably the only way to catch fish at the scale bar. I will politely ask the Indians to stop netting and selling sockeye but we all know that is not going to happen. Where is my bouncing betty?

I really hope this was posted after the recent notice: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=145473&ID=recreational

To reiterate what has been highlighted in other posts:
While fishing for chinook and chum salmon, anglers are advised to avoid using
fishing methods such as bottom bouncing that catch sockeye salmon and use other
fishing methods that are selective.

In other words, leave the betties at home unless you need them to beef up your 16, 18, 20oz pyramids!

A rig out of water catches no fish.

zabber

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

*underlining added for emphasis.

fishyfish

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »

"anglers are advised to avoid using
fishing methods such as bottom bouncing that catch sockeye"

Why does this not read "The method of bottom bouncing for salmon on the Fraser River is closed and illegal until further notice"? We wouldn't be having this discussion. Okay I have been advised to avoid using this fishing method. Okay I take your advisement or "recommendation" and choose to fish the most productive and legal way of fishing on the Fraser that I know of right now and that is bottom bouncing. I would advise the Indians to use a treble hook instead of nets so they would catch enough fish for their ceremonies and to feed their families but not catch an excess to be able to sell. I am sure they would take my advise and throw their net out.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »

native this.. native that...  blah blah blah
DFO is asking you to stop BB.
 STOP BOTTOM BOUNCING

jacked55

« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2012, 08:30:06 AM »

Not that I am an expert on this topic but i would be interested to see the numbers from a year like last year that had a rec sockeye opening to compare the percentages of how many fish rec anglers took versus the FN netters? I would assume the rec anglers percentage would the the smallest allocation so why would they only target that group? It seems to me that if the govt was truly concerned about the numbers they should have just shut the whole fishery down this year. Seems a little silly to target a specific group or two while allowing an opening for another. Not to mention the increase in tension between the various groups sense of entitlements on the fish.  Regardless, I hope this closure helps out the stocks for future returns.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »

Not that I am an expert on this topic but i would be interested to see the numbers from a year like last year that had a rec sockeye opening to compare the percentages of how many fish rec anglers took versus the FN netters? I would assume the rec anglers percentage would the the smallest allocation so why would they only target that group? It seems to me that if the govt was truly concerned about the numbers they should have just shut the whole fishery down this year. Seems a little silly to target a specific group or two while allowing an opening for another. Not to mention the increase in tension between the various groups sense of entitlements on the fish.  Regardless, I hope this closure helps out the stocks for future returns.
(1) Conservation

(2) F/N, Food and Ceremonial

(3) Recreational fisheries

This order will be not be changed iby FOC or the Federal Government, no use for any of us to be squawking about the F/N fishery as it wil not be changed

If people continue to floss when requested by FOC not to, things will just get worse for us and we can then take up lake fishing or golf. :(

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2012, 09:56:41 AM »

DFO

what a joke!!
The Green Horn

zabber

« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »

Why does this not read "The method of bottom bouncing for salmon on the Fraser River is closed and illegal until further notice"? We wouldn't be having this discussion. Okay I have been advised to avoid using this fishing method. Okay I take your advisement or "recommendation" and choose to fish the most productive and legal way of fishing on the Fraser that I know of right now and that is bottom bouncing.

fishyfish, I'm not sure how much clearer they can make it:

The first principle of selective fishing is to avoid catching non-targeted
stocks.
  This means that anglers should use methods that do not catch sockeye.

The following fishing methods enable anglers to catch chinook and chum salmon
and avoid sockeye salmon interceptions:

Bar Fishing
Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
Float Fishing
Pulling Plugs
Fly Fishing

The fact that "there are no recreational fishing opportunities for sockeye in Region 2," and that "avoiding sockeye" is recommended suggests that there is no fishing for this species (including CnR). In other words: bottom bouncing is currently closed on the Fraser (*my interpretation).

I'm sure you are free to ignore these requests, and probably won't get a ticket for bb'ing if DFO comes around to check licences. However, if you believe what others have said, then you -- along with others that do so -- are threatening the future of this fishery, and possibly others, by continuing to bb for chinook while a "low run" of sockeye are passing through. One fish today, no more next year.

Until you give all of the above fishing methods an honest try, it would be best if you left the betties at home.

Myself, I'll be fishing for chi's tomorrow; using a float. Even if it's just as productive as the four hours I spent hucking betties without a spring to show for it I reckon I'll drag out fewer belly-hooked sox while I'm at it and experience fewer piercings of my waders by guys that can't handle their 15 foot leaders properly, so will probably have a better time as a result. I've never tried this method of fishing for springs, but have heard good things.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »

You left out the commercial openings. But true enough best to wait for big sockeye runs if your into the bbing thing. Or it will make a good argument for them to shut er down. If your going to spend 5 hours trying to bb a chinook then you might as well get out the lawn chair bbq and bell on the rod. If they do shut it down hopefully they just expand on the scale bar area as that place attracks the fish hogs who don't care much about ethics.

Bent Rods posted some damn good links to how to fish without bbing and people should read them. Years  back most people would fish the mouths of streams going into the Fraser to get chinook, hint hint. I know of a few places nearby that you can get chinook but I don't keep them so rarely go them.

I fish for Kokanee from lakes that have decent sized ones. Never have to worry about when the run comes in and I don't get a nasty sunburn to boot. Taste even better than the sockeye from the Fraser. I love kokes.

but know well enough that a closure is going to be inevitable because it always ends up like that :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »

You left out the commercial openings. But true enough best to wait for big sockeye runs if your into the bbing thing. Or it will make a good argument for them to shut er down. If your going to spend 5 hours trying to bb a chinook then you might as well get out the lawn chair bbq and bell on the rod. If they do shut it down hopefully they just expand on the scale bar area as that place attracks the fish hogs who don't care much about ethics.

Bent Rods posted some damn good links to how to fish without bbing and people should read them. Years  back most people would fish the mouths of streams going into the Fraser to get chinook, hint hint. I know of a few places nearby that you can get chinook but I don't keep them so rarely go them.

I fish for Kokanee from lakes that have decent sized ones. Never have to worry about when the run comes in and I don't get a nasty sunburn to boot. Taste even better than the sockeye from the Fraser. I love kokes.

but know well enough that a closure is going to be inevitable because it always ends up like that :(
Didn't bother to put them in.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »

native this.. native that...  blah blah blah
DFO is asking you to stop BB.
 STOP BOTTOM BOUNCING

Oh yah. This will stop the hordes of BBs from plying our local waters. Lol.

fishyfish

« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »

Okay. A great challenge for the quality fishermen on this site. Lets starts seeing some pictures of springs caught and landed using these methods at the scale bar:

Bar Fishing
Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
Float Fishing
Pulling Plugs
Fly Fishing

No cheating now. Pics using the above methods. Would love to see the float or spoon or fly in the pic that caught the fish. Are the guide services using these methods? Print the pics under this heading. Be legit now.

fishyfish

« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

Would love to hear an honest report from you Zabber! How the fishing was using a float on the Fraser.

fishyfish

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »

I just got a call from a  cousin of mine who went seining with a FN. They caught 300 sockeye and sold them without problem for  $3000 in a day. Another friend of theirs made $30,000 in one day. And we are talking about fish that are being RELEASED caught by  B.B. What a joke.