Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Charter gratuity advice  (Read 10245 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Charter gratuity advice
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

I think every time you make a post on Fishing with Rod, you should tip the website owner 10 cents... Just think how much time he invests in sitting here, late at night or early morning, reading through each post to make sure they follow the guidelines, risking work-related illness like obesity... :o

Rodney's the skipper, I'm the one doing all the grunt work around here! TIP ME!!!

salmonlover

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

I think every time you make a post on Fishing with Rod, you should tip the website owner 10 cents... Just think how much time he invests in sitting here, late at night or early morning, reading through each post to make sure they follow the guidelines, risking work-related illness like obesity... :o

I dont think nina would let you let yourself go. Ive seen your videos...and know who wears the pants :P

oolichan2

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »

I've been checking out the guiding websites, and need a little clarification.  I used to coach wakeboarding and we charged per head, not for the boat. So when a guiding service charges $500 for 1 person, $530 for 2, $575 for 3 etc. etc.  That's total right?  You're essentially paying $500 to rent the boat for half a day, then every extra body is $30.  So one person would pay $500 but three people could split the $575 three ways right?  If that's the case then one should certainly tip freely, especially if the guide is cleaning and packaging your fish! 

I used to refuse tips from wakeboarders' (read: kids') parents because I felt that I was just doing my job.  So part of me wants to say that if the guide is no good, or the skipper is a RACIST (wow) then I wouldn't tip. You are paying a lot to be there and most people forget that a tip is a reward for great service above and beyond the call of duty. 

It's such a grey area.  The pimply kid busting his butt and sweating bullets at McDonald's doesn't merit a tip but the busty blonde in the short skirt who takes your coat at Cactus Club and screws up your drink order feels entitled to a large tip just because she won the genetic poker tournament? 

Yes, those numbers advertised are total. It costs a certain amount of money to fire up the boat and each extra guy only adds incremental cost.

And I agree 100% no tip for a guide that acts like a jerk. The good news is most of the guys on the water love what they do and want you to have a good time.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »

If people really knows what Rodney does at 2:00 in the morning ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 12:13:58 AM »

Lots of funny posts but do what you can afford..... I do at least 20% of the total but I somewhat can afford that and so can the guys in my party, plus I only chose a guide who I know will get me on fish to the best of his ability. I have done my research which everyone should do if you have the time and I havent been disappointed. Rod up it to 50 cents a post brother and all the mods get paid too!!!
always a student

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »

If people really knows what Rodney does at 2:00 in the morning ;D

I'm hearing the evidence is showing. :)
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Robert_G

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 06:23:19 AM »

No different than a restraunt or anything else.
I realize that a guide can't guarantee fish in comparison to getting a great meal from a restraunt, but if the guide isn't professional.....there would be 0 tip.

tnt

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 06:41:42 AM »

Im a full time guide and see all sorts of tips throughout the year... doesnt matter what I get for a tip as it is always a bonus.... people feel obligated nowadays to tip but really it is to your discretion... dont feel bad if you cant afford a big tip...trips cost a lot of money but are typically worth it...the way I would base a tip is Attitude of guide, is he or she always positive, did you have a good time despite the fishing could be slow.is the tackle and equipment clean and professional. is the boat in good operating form and clean. and of course if fishing was good... In our company we bust our butts to catch fish so that means  lot of extra time getting bait, buying bait and scouting if we havent been out for a few days....a typical 8 hour day for our clients is a 12 hour day for the guides....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »

I am paying for the guides equipment, knowledge of the quarry, and timely knowledge of the water.
If they meet this expectation then I give 10%. If they don't I give nothing. If they exceed then it depends on how much. I gave a $400 tip for my sturgeon-of-a-lifetime but that was a special situation.
Spending all day looking for fish, bringing crappy bait, sitting for hours in the same spot with only whitefish hitting the bait, broken or non-functional gear will all result in no tip.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »

Also forgot to mention a very positive (gifted to me) river trip. Had not previously met the guide and really knew nothing of him. By the end of that day I'd all but forgotten any professional relationship, it was more like out fishing with a buddy, except he would not fish. Even though he had donated his time equipment etc. he still treated me as a paying customer, put me on fish and gave of tips and knowhow . The type of folk that should be in the industry and I'm sure he still would be had it not been for tragedy. 

Back to tipping and gratuities.

we need to separate the wages/fees  from the tips/ gratuities.

wages are the deal you made before hand, the tip is for above and beyond performance. fish? bonus!

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »

Im a full time guide and see all sorts of tips throughout the year... doesnt matter what I get for a tip as it is always a bonus....

Good to know that I don't need to tip if I come fishing with you next time. ;D

Do people tip owner/operators? Most owner/operators who I fish with are friends/colleagues and it would feel pretty awkward/disrespectful if I were to tip them.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »

Lots of funny posts but do what you can afford..... I do at least 20% of the total but I somewhat can afford that and so can the guys in my party, plus I only chose a guide who I know will get me on fish to the best of his ability. I have done my research which everyone should do if you have the time and I havent been disappointed. Rod up it to 50 cents a post brother and all the mods get paid too!!!
We need a "LIKE" button  ;)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »

Good to know that I don't need to tip if I come fishing with you next time. ;D

Do people tip owner/operators? Most owner/operators who I fish with are friends/colleagues and it would feel pretty awkward/disrespectful if I were to tip them.
In cases like that, if you're fishing with someone you know... "Here's a little something to help with the gas" or somesuch?  "Hey - dinners on me tonight" perhaps.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »

In cases like that, if you're fishing with someone you know... "Here's a little something to help with the gas" or somesuch?  "Hey - dinners on me tonight" perhaps.

been there, caused all sorts of problems, due to someone being an hole. buddy and a couple of others went to the T, I paid the gas as we not only traveled in his truck I also transported some equipment to Spences' for my work, buddy was accused of guiding. when is a guide not a guide? been debated over and over.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »

been there, caused all sorts of problems, due to someone being an hole. buddy and a couple of others went to the T, I paid the gas as we not only traveled in his truck I also transported some equipment to Spences' for my work, buddy was accused of guiding. when is a guide not a guide? been debated over and over.

Sandy, I was referring to the situation when a paid guided fishing trip is involved, not fishing with friends/colleagues who are guides.