Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: switch or spey  (Read 5715 times)

kalex60

switch or spey
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »

what is your opinion on the subject i am looking to get my first two handed rod

4TheKids

Re: switch or spey
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »

Switch. I just started using one last year so I am not much of an expert but...
- Very few rivers around LML require the power of a spey.
- But I have been told a spey is more forgiving for Skagit.
- Spend a lot of time researching and trying out various line setups.
- For fun try a centerpin on a switch. Arguably one of the most deadly fishing devices.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »

Depends where you plan on fishing and what you plan on targeting.

A 12'6" - 13' spey is the best tool If you have the room. It is easier to learn to cast with the longer length as well as mend and manage line. If you mainly plan on fishing  medium sized rivers and larger I would start with the longer rod.

A switch rod, in my opinion, is a compromise for smaller rivers where the longer rod is just too much. On narrower rivers with lots of brush behind you and are fishing closer in a switch is great.

I have both and use both depending where I am fishing.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »

It certainly can be a tough decision given all the variables and options in the stores.  When I first started looking into the two handers my thought was switch.  For what I wanted to do, it made the most sense.  6 months later, a lot of frustration trying to cast, a couple of dumb bell eyed flies in the head and I sold the switch.  For me it was too frustrating trying to learn to cast a rod that was too tiring to single hand and too short to easily double.  I got some lessons and practiced a bit but the time needed was not there to get the line OUT there.  I finally got a 12'6" 5wt spey (as the intent was to 2 hand trout) and I was easily sending line out.  And sending my confidence way out.  So in conclusion, remember that a switch won't single hand or double hand exceptionally well but will do both very well.  Now if you have the dedication and drive you could do either pretty quickly :) either way good luck.

kalex60

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »

what kind of tips could you cast of a 420 skagit with a 11' 6 wt switch

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »

I never had a problem casting a switch perhaps because I was ok with the spey aready. Switches are great the big advantage is you can cast either overhead or spey without much difficulty though the overhead works better casting with both hands. It allows consistent long casts (80 feet or so) with far less fatigue than with single handed rods. This is actually what they were first designed for. You can handle most tips with a switch - I use a 390 grain with my #6 and use everything up to type 8. I can cast 7 or 8 feet of t-14 with my #8 switch but find it touch to cast large intruder style flies with dumbell eyes.   
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Carich980

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:52 AM »

Go with a Sage One Spey rod in my opinion. But you need to decide on what your best match is for fish and where that will most likely be. I prefer having a longer rod. I mainly fish the Vedder for Salmon/Steelhead.

A Sage TCX Switch would be sweet if your set on a switch rod.

Only 4 more days and I'll have my new spey rod. A Sage One 7136. Trying to decide if I should match it up with a Hatch Finatic or go with a Saracione. I'm leaning towards the Finatic as I think it will balance better and its more affordable.

what kind of tips could you cast of a 420 skagit with a 11' 6 wt switch

I dont know what line/rod you are looking at but a 6wt Sage Z-Axis is an 11' rod and Rio recomends a 325-375g skagit would be better suited for a 6wt 11' switch rod. I believe Rio has Mow tips that use a 10' - 12.5' section of T-8 for anything under 450 grains. They are the light tips.

http://www.rioproducts.com/spey-central/spey-line-recommendations/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »

first off - what are your intended target fish and what size rivers will you be fishing.

I have fished both spey and switch and no longer own a switch rod. the switch was OK for tossing tips and small to medium sized flies but it really excelled with two handed overhead casting (like you would do from a beach) and single handing it was near impossible unless you have Hulk Hogans arms LOL

I know Amundson makes a 6wt 11' true spey rod if you want something short but will still cast properly like a spey. other companies make 11'6" true spey rods either but you will have to search around to find out who carries them. I went with a 12'6" 7/8wt (salmon/steelhead) and im hoping to grab myself another spey in a lighter weight class for smaller salmon and trout. There is a couple companies out there that offer spey rods right down to a 2wt now  :o

I spent years single handing and since i grabbed the spey i will never single hand for river dwelling fish again. Life is so much easier not wasting all that time false casting and wearing out your shoulder
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fish_on

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »

Good discussions on this topic...what would you recommend to migrate from single hand setups to a starter/affordable Spey setups: rod, reel & lines?

Thanks   

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »

instead of having some of us repeat ourselves yet again try using the SEARCH function please  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/