Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential great news for BC  (Read 1809 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Potential great news for BC
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »

Excerpt from this article......http://thecanadian.org/item/1383-economics-salmon-farms-oil-pipelines-natural-gas-ray-grigg

"Whether or not salmon farms continue operating in BC's marine waters may depend more on economic than environmental factors. Despite withering criticism concerning the ecological safety of its open net-pen operations, the salmon farming industry has doggedly continued on its corporate course. However, two unforeseen factors may compromise its viability, thereby accomplishing what no amount of environmental censure has managed.

First, the US International Trade Commission has removed a two-decade 24 percent import duty levied on farmed salmon imported from Norway. This ruling may ultimately negate one of the major rationales Norwegian corporations used in 1991 to circumvent the duty by growing Atlantic salmon in BC waters. The removal of the duty now places a 24 percent disadvantage on farmed salmon exported from BC to the US, a trading handicap exacerbated by the rising value of the Canadian dollar.

And second, after the horrific 70 percent collapse of salmon farming in Chile due to the industry's inadvertent importation of infectious salmon anemia, Chilean banks and governments are applying pressure for a re-start of operations. This will result in more farmed fish on the global market and will depress the price for salmon. Combined with the lower cost of growing salmon in Chile, the result may threaten operations in BC. The salmon farming industry in BC, critics note, is already precarious due to high operating costs. A flood of Chilean farmed fish on the world market and cheaper product from Norway may be lethal blows to the industry here. And, as everyone knows, the business of making money is not imbued with sentimentality - if salmon farming is not profitable here, the industry will politely express its ritual condolences and leave."
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Re: Potential great news for BC
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »

Seriously???...thats like watching Fox News or Canadas version Sun News. As it stands I think a majority of us now are more concerned with Enbridge, which correct me if Im wrong you support.
Take the T out of Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »

Seriously???...thats like watching Fox News or Canadas version Sun News. As it stands I think a majority of us now are more concerned with Enbridge, which correct me if Im wrong you support.

Consider yourself corrected.....   :)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »

Dont make me start posting quotes... ;D ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.