Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)  (Read 74352 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »

As far as land based fish farms one question I have is where does the waste water go, I mean lets face it youre running one huge aquarium now and water has to be changed.

With the proper filtration systems in place along with maintaining the appropriate oxygen levels one would think you would be self contained. Just look at the Stanley Park Salt Water Aquarium, I don't think their continuously pumping water in but I could be wrong.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »

With the proper filtration systems in place along with maintaining the appropriate oxygen levels one would think you would be self contained. Just look at the Stanley Park Salt Water Aquarium, I don't think their continuously pumping water in but I could be wrong.

They are. The water is then filtered and treated when going out to the sea again. In fact, it is cleaner than what's in the sea when it goes out.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »

They are. The water is then filtered and treated when going out to the sea again. In fact, it is cleaner than what's in the sea when it goes out.

I take it that would mean influent and effluent channels along with chlorinization, just like the waste water treatment plants do.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »

In my experience, intakes are pipes at depth in order to avoid plankton blooms and surface debris and draw water at a more stable temperature. Outlets are discharged at surface.

Maintaining oxygen is only part of the requirement. The other half is removal of the products of metabolism that can become toxic at high levels. At densities required to make tank farming viable, both become something of a challenge. Any and every mechanical system used to meet the biological requirements requires a duplicate in place as backup against breakdown which can very quickly kill the crop. The capital costs add up very quickly and the operating costs, particularly for energy provide the nails for the coffin.

It is a fallacy propagated by the anti-farm movement that land based farms are viable on a production scale. There has been active research since salmon became a farm species; farms would much rather use that type of system because of the enhanced control of environmental conditions and as you suggest, the logistics. Unfortunately, the laws of biology in combination of the laws of physics mean that the laws of economics cannot be met and no amount of wishful thinking can change that. The anti-farm movement simply closes it's eyes and pretends that limitation doesn't exist.

AnnieP

« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »

In my experience, intakes are pipes at depth in order to avoid plankton blooms and surface debris and draw water at a more stable temperature. Outlets are discharged at surface.

Maintaining oxygen is only part of the requirement. The other half is removal of the products of metabolism that can become toxic at high levels. At densities required to make tank farming viable, both become something of a challenge. Any and every mechanical system used to meet the biological requirements requires a duplicate in place as backup against breakdown which can very quickly kill the crop. The capital costs add up very quickly and the operating costs, particularly for energy provide the nails for the coffin.

It is a fallacy propagated by the anti-farm movement that land based farms are viable on a production scale. There has been active research since salmon became a farm species; farms would much rather use that type of system because of the enhanced control of environmental conditions and as you suggest, the logistics. Unfortunately, the laws of biology in combination of the laws of physics mean that the laws of economics cannot be met and no amount of wishful thinking can change that. The anti-farm movement simply closes it's eyes and pretends that limitation doesn't exist.

http://salmonfarmscience.com/author/salmonfarmscience/ Just out today..........USA prepares for massive growth in aquaculture

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »

Just back today ... lots of great discussion and a lot myths exploded ;D  You're a pitbull AnnieP ... glad we're on the same side :)

AnnieP

« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »

Just back today ... lots of great discussion and a lot myths exploded ;D  You're a pitbull AnnieP ... glad we're on the same side :)

Thanks Dave, welcome back.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »

Troutbreath your link is a year old and the author well........

The author's bio: "Ruth Salmon is Executive Director of the Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance"

She's an industry lobbyist

Enough said. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »

Awesome link TB thanx for that one.... :D :D
Take the T out of Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »

Thought I'd help out the pro-feedlot boys by posting up a link to their website petitioning the Canadian Government and CFIA in order to put out a gag order on Morton......  Talk about desperate measures.  ???

http://www.change.org/petitions/restrain-alexandra-morton-from-trespass-bio-security-quarantine-measures

They've been running it for a couple of months and they are up to 119 signatures. Doesn't appear to be getting a lot of traction.....  ;D

Congratulations Annie......  You have 3 more fans! (Current count 122)

At this rate you should reach your 250 signature target by 2020.    :D ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

AnnieP

« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

Congratulations Annie......  You have 3 more fans! (Current count 122)

At this rate you should reach your 250 signature target by 2020.    :D ;D

Like I said in my original post the petition was only a sarcastic response to Morton's cost-co  and Safeway petition in the first place. And 122 signatures or Morton's 12,000 the population of North America still stands at approx. 340 million so your point is ? I seriously doubt the billion dollar  Cost-co corperation pays much attention to Morton and her claims.   ::)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »

Awesome link TB thanx for that one.... :D :D

lots of good info for Annie there.

PS I hope you too have cut up your Save -on More card like a good banner carrier like they tell you to. Imagine Save on Foods selling tank raised fish. it's enough to make you want to organize a protest and burn there logo in effergy. Lots of fun shrill stuff on that web site boy o boy.