Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)  (Read 72856 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »

Hi Big John, welcome. Looking forward to your thoughts on Ms. Morton and her stand on salmon farming.

Burbot

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »

Do these employees not care about the "damage" Morton is doing to their industry

They do it well enough on their own.  Just look from Norway to Chile to see what the damage has been done.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »

round and round it goes
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »

round and round it goes

Yep. Feedlot boys try a spin, turns out to be nothing but cow droppings. Again.
http://

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »

Sorta like what flows from Mortons mouth... ;) ;) ;)
Take the T out of Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »

I was hoping to buoy the pro-feedlot boy's support a little, by posting their link..... but the thread deteriorated pretty quickly.

As Absolon would say...... "All I see is subterfuge and belittling...." "irrelevant hyperbole"   :(
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »

We'd be better off talking about bassonators flys on his avitar.  probably just catches the attention of suckers(fish).  Kinda like Morton does.

They do it well enough on their own.  Just look from Norway to Chile to see what the damage has been done.

Ya, norway and chile had there wild salmon populations exterminated by salmon farms didn't they.  I would sure like to read the articles on that.

Can you post those articles for me to read, burbot?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:43:19 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »

We'd be better off talking about bassonators flys on his avitar.  probably just catches the attention of suckers(fish).  Kinda like Morton does.

Ya, norway and chile had there wild salmon populations exterminated by salmon farms didn't they.  I would sure like to read the articles on that.

Can you post those articles for me to read, burbot?

Is National Geographic good enough for you?: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080212-salmon-lice.html

Chile had no native salmon but perhaps he was talking about damage to the sea and not wild salmon?
Norway, Ireland, Scotland and Canada have all had problems with salmon farms affecting wild salmon.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

Is National Geographic good enough for you?: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080212-salmon-lice.html

Chile had no native salmon but perhaps he was talking about damage to the sea and not wild salmon?
Norway, Ireland, Scotland and Canada have all had problems with salmon farms affecting wild salmon.

If anyone bothers to read that 4 year old link they will see that for so many reasons already discussed here, it's irrelevant to BC salmon farming and the issues surrounding it.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »

4 years old? How old is too old?

Irrelevant?

The new research used official government data from Canada, Scotland, and Ireland to compare the survival of wild salmon and sea trout in regions with salmon farms to adjacent, farm-free areas.
Researchers found a dramatic fall in salmon catches and abundance since the 1980s in areas of the North Atlantic and northeast Pacific where production of farmed salmon has increased over the same period.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

Irrelevant?

The new research used official government data from Canada, Scotland, and Ireland to compare the survival of wild salmon and sea trout in regions with salmon farms to adjacent, farm-free areas.
Researchers found a dramatic fall in salmon catches and abundance since the 1980s in areas of the North Atlantic and northeast Pacific where production of farmed salmon has increased over the same period.

Sorta remainds me of that ole Trooper classic, Round round we go.....
Check the rest of these threads its all been discussed.....
My wife loves these flies... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 06:58:13 PM »

Irrelevant?

How old is too old for a link to be posted?  Maybe now, in this case, when it's irrelevant because sea lice are a non issue in BC; irrelevant because Pacific and Atlantic salmon cannot interbreed; irrelevant because the declines to wild salmon mentioned have been happening worldwide for decades, not just near fish farms; irrelevant because disease resistance and immunities between onchorhyncus and salar are unique and not yet fully understood and was not addressed in this report and; irrelevant because numbers of BC sea trout, one of the most impacted species in this study, can probably be counted on 2 hands, all from the Cowichan River.
None of the above is new, all has been said before on this site.

Burbot, do some research on Norway's salmon industry and specifically an introduced parasite named Gyrodactylus salaris.
Chile?  Greedy husbandry and worse environmental controls.  Phfft

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

How old is too old for a link to be posted?  Maybe now, in this case, when it's irrelevant because sea lice are a non issue in BC; irrelevant because Pacific and Atlantic salmon cannot interbreed; irrelevant because the declines to wild salmon mentioned have been happening worldwide for decades, not just near fish farms; irrelevant because disease resistance and immunities between onchorhyncus and salar are unique and not yet fully understood and was not addressed in this report and; irrelevant because numbers of BC sea trout, one of the most impacted species in this study, can probably be counted on 2 hands, all from the Cowichan River.
None of the above is new, all has been said before on this site.

Easywater; If someone has given up on wild salmon as Dave has, any argument for saving wild salmon is going to be irrelevant!   ::)

The article you posted is relevant, and is not only a reminder of what can happen to our wild salmon, but it should also be the warning bells indicating that we've got to get these pens out of the ocean.

However the relevance of that article is off topic, as this thread is about a petition that was started by the salmon farmers. However it appears that even the farmers  believe that saving the wild salmon is more important than supporting their company, as less than 2.5% of them have signed their petition. 
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »

Easywater; If someone has given up on wild salmon as Dave has

Yeah, I've given up all right ;D  It will be me and     installing periphyton plates tomorrow in the upper Chilliwack River and Foley Creek for the Chilliwack River nutrient enrichment project, a program that enhances wild salmonid populations.

Perhaps af, we can meet Saturday at the CVRCS July 14 cleanup?  I'll be the guy with the name tag Dave Barnes on his shirt.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »

Yeah, I've given up all right ;D  It will be me and     installing periphyton plates tomorrow in the upper Chilliwack River and Foley Creek for the Chilliwack River nutrient enrichment project, a program that enhances wild salmonid populations.

Perhaps af, we can meet Saturday at the CVRCS July 14 cleanup?  I'll be the guy with the name tag Dave Barnes on his shirt.

Ouch...thats gotta hurt AF.