Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A NEW "what have you been tying lately"?  (Read 4097 times)

Stickleback

A NEW "what have you been tying lately"?
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

I want to get some discussion going about fly patterns.  The fly fishing café is pretty dormant right now.  I've been tying a lot of steelhead flies lately, like I always do, however,  I'm sick of tying big trailer hook flies and tube flies for the time being.  I'm in a transition between winter and summer steelhead tactics.  I'm trying to hone my skills and proportion by tying some more subdued and traditional style flies.... Let me know what you think. I haven't cemented most of them yet,  might try the UV clear cure goo.  Please feel free the post your flies and keep the discussion going!

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: A NEW "what have you been tying lately"?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

Very nice ties, love middle blue fly especially.

I am kind of on the same thought pattern as you lately. I have already stocked up my still water boxes with my goto's a while ago. Winters over so I have been playing with some summer run flies. Steelhead flies are fun as most are attractors, so you can get creative and they don't have to look like something. I'm not a great tier yet but have fun and am working on it, some are better than others.

Here are a couple quick pics of some of my most recents. Not only is it fun to tie smaller steelie patterns, its a nice break to put down the 13 footer, heavy tips and dumbbell eyed flies and pick up a light switch rod, poly leaders and light flies.

Stickleback

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply! I love the leland reel! I also have an echo switch.  Mine is the 6wt with the new upper and lower cork design.  I've been trying to trade it or sell it because i feel like it will be too light for most summer run fishing.  What weight is yours?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »

is that a goose shoulder wing on the first two stickleback? looks great, classic wings and feathers are fascinating too me right now, really like the blue, id fish that fly hard, will get some pics up here soon.

ps, way too stell my thread and make a new one ;)

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »

Thanks for the reply! I love the leland reel! I also have an echo switch.  Mine is the 6wt with the new upper and lower cork design.  I've been trying to trade it or sell it because i feel like it will be too light for most summer run fishing.  What weight is yours?

Mines a 6wt as well. Double handed rods are rated differently than singles, the rod probably has as much fighting power as my 8wt single hand rod. Most summer runs around here and the island are under or up to ten pounds, unless you are up north, its a great stick for summers, pinks and some coho. I have a 360grain Airflo Rage line on it that I use with various poly leaders and love it!

Stickleback

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »

I agree, it will probably be enough stick for most summer runs, but an 11' 7wt would have more steelhead applications.  I LOVE the TFO deer creek rods, they cast awesome.  I'm buying the 7wt deer creek switch to replace the echo.  If you need another one, mine has been used 5 times, perfect condition, will go for $250.  I know I'm splitting hairs, but I love the TFO rods

Stickleback

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »

I've been tying a few Intruder style flies for big water summer runs.

Carich980

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:35 AM »

Mostly Charteuse Intruders and squidro style variations. Hoping to try them out on the Springs once the rivers are open and fishable.