Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying a new vehicle in the U.S  (Read 1488 times)

bobrunning

Buying a new vehicle in the U.S
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »

Hi all,

Can any of you share any experiences you have had recently buying a new vehicle down south i.e warranty issues, duties, taxes, border hassles, etc?

I have heard not such a headache as one might think.

Cheers!

Bob

speycaster

Re: Buying a new vehicle in the U.S
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:18:18 AM »

I believe that most manufacturers do not warrantee vehicles brought into Canada from the USA.

bobrunning

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:32 AM »

Thanks speycaster.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »

Here's a forum thread that may help you:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-new-used-cars-us-up-30-cheaper-read-post-1-a-307601/

Be sure to read the latest posts as the information changes all the time.

It is getting harder and harder to find a dealership willing to sell new vehicles to residents of Canada.  If you don't mind buying something slightly used (like demos, etc..) you will have much more options. 

Warranty coverage varies across all manufacturers.  If you buy a Toyota, your vehicle will be warrantied in Canada.  Honda on the other hand absolutely not.  Also, prices of vehicles up here have come down a bit reducing the amount of savings that can be realized.  Also, high end loaded vehicles give you the most savings.  It may not be worth the small savings (if any) from buying a cheap economy car in the states.

When I purchased my SUV in Seattle, I saved almost 20 grand.  I was lucky as our dollar was quite high at the time and I was eligible for all the rebates and incentives which is not the case now.

Do your homework and price out the cars here.  Personally, unless I can save over 4 grand, I would rather buy my car here.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

if the vehicle is registered and insured in the usa for a period of 6 months then you can bring it to canada and they will honor the warranty. brand new vehicles must be taken back to the usa for warranty service if required. there also taxes and environmental fees that need to be paid upon bringing a new vehicle across. at the end of the day if you are willing to accept the warranty issue you will save approximately 4-6k on vehicle that cost about 37-40k to purchase in canada. also i dont think you can get financing unless you happen to have credit in the usa or a social security number. otherwise you must buy it cash. I looked into it back in 2010 but i decided that its not worth the warranty hassle so i just paid canadian price. its was too bad as they had some different and nicer options for the suv i bought.

hope this helps a bit.

good luck.

bobrunning

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

Thank you all, you are all brilliant!

We are looking at the CRV, Rav4, Ford Escape, etc, that class of SUV.