Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spinncasting for chinooks  (Read 2527 times)

mr.bean

spinncasting for chinooks
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »

i was wondering if anybody has some experience  with  casting and retrieving larger spoons from shore to catch springs instead of barfishing with spinn and glows ? any input would be apreciated. thanks

colin6101

Re: spinncasting for chinooks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »

Caught a few over the years in the Fraser chucking spoons but they are few and far in between. I have a lot better luck targeting coho this way when they are moving through in October. It is going to be a long time before the Fraser comes down enough to give it a go where I would usually fish for them as well.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »

If you are talking about the Fraser you could try at creek mouths in the clear water but in the heavy coloured main stem water I would imagine you odds would be very slim.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »

March 22nd, steelheading by catch.
Definitely possible. One of my favourite things to use use to be colorados, and all a spoon is is a larger version of that.
Good for covering water too.

IMO spoons are mostly good (do well for me for everything) in 4+ feet of vis. The fraser in this case would not be that great of a bet.
The clearer and sunnier the day, the better.

Cheers,
Dan

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »

I was surprised a couple of years ago during slack high tide while tossing out a #3 blue fox off a dock on the fraser - ending up landing a 12 pound spring.

Tis doable.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »

springs and spoons has been a late spring early summer tradition for generations in the Fraser Valley. As mentioned clear water at the mouth of a clear tributary is the place to be. The fish will move right into the creek ro rest out of the murky river water. With the high water this should be doable when the river opens for springs next month. The Stave Chilliwack, Harrison, Vedder, Coq and the creeks in the Canyon should offer these opportunities.

I would guess that using a large spinner in the river itself towards the end of summer once there is a foot or more of clarity would be worth trying as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »

Yargh, avast younh Dano of the Island!  Aye, that be a fine fine tshawytscha ye have there boyo but more context will keep many an angler from heading out hunting snipe!  Correct me if I'm wrong my good Jim lad, but that there be a true 'spring' tshawytscha from the Stamp river? Don't it be now?   

Lo! This time of year, a man best be focusing on other things than the dreams of giant tshawytscha swimming up the Fraser.  Aye it can happen, but only when Poseidon himself does place one fishee near your hook. 

I was waiting for you to come out  ;D
It is from the island, but not the stamp river. I like to fish rivers with smaller runs and less people  ;)
Not trying to say go out and do it, but was saying it is possible and does happen.

And I also did say in my post... I only fish spoons in clear water. I would never toss one in the fraser for springers, especially right now.
I agree that floating roe is by far the best bet.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »

If you have a boat for better access to some of the river mouths . Not a good time right now but . I used to troll at the Vedder River mouth to the Fraser . Up and and down the green line with success using KIT-A-MAT , KOHO , IRONHEAD Spoons , 1 oz.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."